New Cooling Fans not working - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #31
coastrider
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I bought new relays since one of mine was bad. Fans still do not spin when i pull and replace the maxifuse. Fans do run when i jump them. Is the next step to test the ECM? where is that and what does it look like? If its not that do i replace the temp sensor? Why else would my fans not come on?
If you still have problems please explain your process of "Fans do run when i jump them"
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #32
[email protected]
Registered Full

I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out but this is confusing me.
I don't see how to pull the white/red wire out. is there a release?

I'm not sure how to check the voltage. I wish there was a video.

with my original fans the top one stopped working, then the bottom stopped.
When I jumped them the top would not work and the bottom would so i ran a manual switch so I could turn it on whenever I thought it was need. Then that stopped working so I put in new fans and now have this problem. Very frustrating. I hope I dont have to bring it to the shop.
B@rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #33
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out but this is confusing me.
I don't see how to pull the white/red wire out. is there a release?

I'm not sure how to check the voltage. I wish there was a video.

with my original fans the top one stopped working, then the bottom stopped.
When I jumped them the top would not work and the bottom would so i ran a manual switch so I could turn it on whenever I thought it was need. Then that stopped working so I put in new fans and now have this problem. Very frustrating. I hope I dont have to bring it to the shop.
Start at the beginning. First check the the battery fuse. Next check that the fan relay has 2 pins with power (both red/orange wires going to relay contacts 30 and 85). If all is good up to now, if you put a ground to relay contact 86 and the relay should click and the fans should run. If the fans don't run you need to trace wire from relay contact 87 (yellow/brown wire) to the 2 fans and ensure continuity and make sure the 2 black wires from the fans have good grounds.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #34
[email protected]
Registered Full

I don't see how to release the wire. I don't know how to check the voltage. I can usually figure things out but note too good with electrical problems.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #35
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
I don't see how to release the wire. I don't know how to check the voltage. I can usually figure things out but note too good with electrical problems.
If you follow my last post you don't need to release the wire. Finding an electrical fault is a very methodical process. Confirm all the other things are correct first. To measure the voltage you will need a voltmeter with the negative lead connected to ground and the positive lead to each point in turn stated in the last post.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #36
[email protected]
Registered Full

ok, I didt see that my post before the last one went thru so I sent another quick one. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know how its going
Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #37
[email protected]
Registered Full

Above were you asked to explain "fans run when I jump them", I unplugged the fans and ran wires from the fan plug to the battery and the fans come on. So I know the fans are good.

My fan fuse is good. The relay is good. I swap the fan and starter relay and the bike starts with both. I went to get two new ones anyway but HD only had one. So i now have a new one also.

I still dont see how to pull our the white/red wire from the EMC.

I dont know what to do with this --> Next check that the fan relay has 2 pins with power (both red/orange wires going to relay contacts 30 and 85). If all is good up to now, if you put a ground to relay contact 86 and the relay should click and the fans should run. If the fans don't run you need to trace wire from relay contact 87 (yellow/brown wire) to the 2 fans and ensure continuity and make sure the 2 black wires from the fans have good grounds.

I guess i need the "for dummies" version.

Since its getting cooler now, I might just put it all back together and deal with it during the winter.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #38
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Above were you asked to explain "fans run when I jump them", I unplugged the fans and ran wires from the fan plug to the battery and the fans come on. So I know the fans are good.

My fan fuse is good. The relay is good. I swap the fan and starter relay and the bike starts with both. I went to get two new ones anyway but HD only had one. So i now have a new one also.

I still dont see how to pull our the white/red wire from the EMC.

I dont know what to do with this --> Next check that the fan relay has 2 pins with power (both red/orange wires going to relay contacts 30 and 85). If all is good up to now, if you put a ground to relay contact 86 and the relay should click and the fans should run. If the fans don't run you need to trace wire from relay contact 87 (yellow/brown wire) to the 2 fans and ensure continuity and make sure the 2 black wires from the fans have good grounds.

I guess i need the "for dummies" version.

Since its getting cooler now, I might just put it all back together and deal with it during the winter.
If you look at the wires going to the fan relay, there are 2 of them that are red/orange. With the negative wire of the multimeter to ground and the positive meter wire to each of these wires you should see +12v with the ignition on. If this is correct then take a wire from ground and touch it to the white/red wire that goes to the fan relay. If all is good the fans should spin.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #39
[email protected]
Registered Full

Do I just touch the multimeter wire to the rubber on the wire from the back of the group of wires where the fan relay is? or is there metal there i should touch. I couldn't tell what red/orange. there are two wire loops and a straight wire that looks red orange. I touched the lead to all of them and the other lead to the ground. To ground I just touch something metal on the bike, right? doing all that nothing happened on the multimeter.
not sure if I did it correctly.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 AM   #40
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Do I just touch the multimeter wire to the rubber on the wire from the back of the group of wires where the fan relay is? or is there metal there i should touch. I couldn't tell what red/orange. there are two wire loops and a straight wire that looks red orange. I touched the lead to all of them and the other lead to the ground. To ground I just touch something metal on the bike, right? doing all that nothing happened on the multimeter.
not sure if I did it correctly.
To be honest, if you don't know how to use a multimeter then you really should be taking the bike to an auto-electrician.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement