Water Pump Leak Myths - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #16
Bill Wallace
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I’d smear a super thin coating of Hylomar on them before reassembly.
That might keep them in tip-top shape.
Bill Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 PM   #17
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wallace View Post
I’d smear a super thin coating of Hylomar on them before reassembly.
That might keep them in tip-top shape.
It's literally about $20 in parts and 1 hour. I just wanted people to see the real reason for the "bad water pump" weeping scenario.

In other words...silly maintenance item every 10 years of so...so be it.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #18
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

I'm real glad you let us know freudie1 - it's attention to detail items like this that can save us all from unnecessary recurring maintenance because it wasn't done using all the hard won tips from guys like you here on the site. Bad from stock Transmission output bearings is another hard won tip I've learned - I would have put a bad one in my engine then had to remove the engine again to replace it - in way too few riding miles - and since I'm a mechanic for a living the bike is an escape from that so I for one definitely don't need more and redundant repair work, I wanna ride ! Thanks -
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #19
nykbob
Subluxation Free

For those of us who need a little extra help, do you have the part numbers? Also, has anyone done a video of the work? I saw one video and it looked like getting the housing off was not an easy process.

I took my 2006 VRSCR to the dealer assuming my leek was an easy fix. They wanted $600 for parts and labor, plus they came up with another $1K worth of stuff they said should be done on my bike.
2005 Sportster 883L (wife's) - blue
2005 Honda CRF 70 (Daughter)
nykbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #20
mattyblazer
Registered Full

Garage
My 2005 vrsca with 13,000 miles was spraying a mist around the housing 3 weeks ago, the local H/D dealer ordered me every gasket related to the cooling system. I was traveling 200 miles on the bike so I changed the cover gasket and the housing gasket which slowed it to almost nonexistent, it came apart very easily (little bit of wiggle to get the housing off) but I was tired when I decided to attempt this, so I forgot to change the o rings on the pump, now I'm getting the slightest drip out of the weep hole again, so when I'm alert and rested I'll pull it apart again. I'm mechanically inclined and it took 1/2 hour but I looked at some video earlier and kind of knew what to expect...
mattyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #21
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyblazer View Post
My 2005 vrsca with 13,000 miles was spraying a mist around the housing 3 weeks ago, the local H/D dealer ordered me every gasket related to the cooling system. I was traveling 200 miles on the bike so I changed the cover gasket and the housing gasket which slowed it to almost nonexistent, it came apart very easily (little bit of wiggle to get the housing off) but I was tired when I decided to attempt this, so I forgot to change the o rings on the pump, now I'm getting the slightest drip out of the weep hole again, so when I'm alert and rested I'll pull it apart again. I'm mechanically inclined and it took 1/2 hour but I looked at some video earlier and kind of knew what to expect...
Yes, there are two gaskets (the cover and the pump itself) plus two o-rings if I recall correctly.

Make sure to torque the bolts to the correct values as well. If you have a manual check that for the spec, otherwise I will grab it for you when I am in the shop this weekend.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #22
knight rod rob
Registered Full

What fluid is leaking. Is it oil?
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #23
mattyblazer
Registered Full

Garage
it looks like "pentofrost" coming out of the weep hole
Old 09-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #24
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
it looks like "pentofrost" coming out of the weep hole
Orings on the pumps snout is to seal engine oil in. If you are still getting antifreeze out the weep hole, it's the gasket between the case and pump housing. Could be surface is marked up where the gasket sits or uneven torquing.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #25
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Orings on the pumps snout is to seal engine oil in. If you are still getting antifreeze out the weep hole, it's the gasket between the case and pump housing. Could be surface is marked up where the gasket sits or uneven torquing.
Ron
I dont know Ron, he replaced gaskets. If its coming out of weep hole.
And its antifreeze, coolant will get past the impeller and come out the weep hole and fill that cavity. Thats why I asked what is leaking as to the comment u made about o-rings also.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #26
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
I dont know Ron, he replaced gaskets. If its coming out of weep hole.
And its antifreeze, coolant will get past the impeller and come out the weep hole and fill that cavity. Thats why I asked what is leaking as to the comment u made about o-rings also.
Without a close examination of the pump, which I don't have, any antifreeze that goes past the shaft would end up in the oil. Weep hole only seems to show in the area between case and pump housing. Gasket is the only fail point from what I can see.
Ron
Old 09-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #27
knight rod rob
Registered Full

When I had mine apart. You could see where the weep hole from the pump shaft hsg is in that cavity in the case.That goes to atmosphere. If coolant gets past ths impeller and goes down the shaft it will come out the weep hole. Because it will be the path of least resistance.Sayin this because just had it apart.The seal in rear of pump blocks from rear contamination.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #28
mattyblazer
Registered Full

Garage
the surface of the housing was imperfect, if I was on the ball I would have taken more time to smooth it out, I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow and run a polishing scotch brite disc on it and clean it up properly.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #29
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
the surface of the housing was imperfect, if I was on the ball I would have taken more time to smooth it out, I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow and run a polishing scotch brite disc on it and clean it up properly.
Block and fine paper would be better. Scotch brite can cause an uneven surface. Gasket design can't handle that.
Ron
Old 09-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #30
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
When I had mine apart. You could see where the weep hole from the pump shaft hsg is in that cavity in the case.That goes to atmosphere. If coolant gets past ths impeller and goes down the shaft it will come out the weep hole. Because it will be the path of least resistance.Sayin this because just had it apart.The seal in rear of pump blocks from rear contamination.
Makes sense and like I mentioned, none for me to inspect and there are no great pics to see small details either. Logically there will need to be a seal at the impeller end and one at the drive end to keep oil from entering the weep hole area. Failure of either will show up in the weep hole but only coolant from a gasket issue.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement