ABS Failure, Bypass question - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
iroc57
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS Failure, Bypass question

Was notified about the DOT 4 recall a little while back and the local dealship books me out for service in late July.

Lo and behold, I get an ABS light notifying me of the rear pump stalling, and it has gotten progressively worse until now my rear brake is extremely hard to push, NOT very effective, AND now it will stick and drag until I pull it back up with my toe, so needless to say its annoying.

I just flushed brand new, pricey dot 4 through both the front and rear, so I'm not concerned with further failures, but I'm primarily a rear brake kind of guy so I'd like a workaround until the dealership can get around to service.

TL;DR - I need to bypass my rear ABS for a month or so on a 2008 NRS and looking for tips on the easiest way to go about this.

Can I just buy a break line for a non ABS model and just replace? running the two lines side by side for now?

If I need to make my own line or junction the in/outs for the ABS unit, what size fittings to I need?

I'm aware you need a fancy pants tool to properly cycle the abs valves, but has anyone managed to get a valve unstuck some other way?

Thanks in advance gents
iroc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You need to get to your dealer before you have total brake failure. Either that or stop riding. Kind of scary riding at 65 mph and find out you have no brakes. jmho

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
iroc57
Registered Full

Thank you for your concern but like i said, the dealer is booked out until the end of next month, I've already replaced the defective fluid, and looking for a temp. Fix. I can live without the rear brake but would rather not.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the "replace the line with a non abs models brake line" idea but can anyone confirm fitment?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
JV Rod
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
You need to get to your dealer before you have total brake failure. Either that or stop riding. Kind of scary riding at 65 mph and find out you have no brakes. jmho
+1

I thought the ABS components are integrated in the brake caliper...
Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
iroc57
Registered Full

They are not. The abs module is located above the radiator
Old 06-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc57 View Post
Was notified about the DOT 4 recall a little while back and the local dealship books me out for service in late July.

Lo and behold, I get an ABS light notifying me of the rear pump stalling, and it has gotten progressively worse until now my rear brake is extremely hard to push, NOT very effective, AND now it will stick and drag until I pull it back up with my toe, so needless to say its annoying.

I just flushed brand new, pricey dot 4 through both the front and rear, so I'm not concerned with further failures, but I'm primarily a rear brake kind of guy so I'd like a workaround until the dealership can get around to service.

TL;DR - I need to bypass my rear ABS for a month or so on a 2008 NRS and looking for tips on the easiest way to go about this.

Can I just buy a break line for a non ABS model and just replace? running the two lines side by side for now?

If I need to make my own line or junction the in/outs for the ABS unit, what size fittings to I need?

I'm aware you need a fancy pants tool to properly cycle the abs valves, but has anyone managed to get a valve unstuck some other way?

Thanks in advance gents
It sounds like your ABS HCU is on it's way out.

However, I will say that just changing the brake fluid like a non-abs bike is not going to cut it. You have old fluid stuck in the HCU.

I happen to sell a tool that cycles the HCU like the dealer, however I'm concerned that you may already have damage. It IS possible that cycling the HCU and changing the fluid (again) may alleviate this, however during testing I never had a "bad" HCU to play with per say.

Once again, for anyone trying to flush brake fluid on an ABS equipped Harley.....you really need to actuate the valves in the HCU (and skidding the bike on grass/gravel/etc is likely not enough as the actuation time with my tool is significantly longer and more thorough....sames goes for the Digital Tech method that the dealer uses (it's NOT just a quick pulse of the valves..etc).
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
iroc57
Registered Full

Thanks for that info. It definitely seems as though I'm NOT getting this valve unstuck so I'm definitely going to have to bypass in the meantime. Will order a non-abs model line tomorrow if I get a chance
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Thanks for that info. It definitely seems as though I'm NOT getting this valve unstuck so I'm definitely going to have to bypass in the meantime. Will order a non-abs model line tomorrow if I get a chance
Yep, that will work for the time being (bypass lines).

The HCU is a massive POS. I saw a guy on YouTube try to dissect a bad one with an angle grinder/etc. Truly nothing is serviceable on it. Once it gets some gunk or grit (guessing as the guy never found the actual blockage) it seems to be game over for the unit.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #9
maverick.m
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
It sounds like your ABS HCU is on it's way out.

However, I will say that just changing the brake fluid like a non-abs bike is not going to cut it. You have old fluid stuck in the HCU.

I happen to sell a tool that cycles the HCU like the dealer, however I'm concerned that you may already have damage. It IS possible that cycling the HCU and changing the fluid (again) may alleviate this, however during testing I never had a "bad" HCU to play with per say.

Once again, for anyone trying to flush brake fluid on an ABS equipped Harley.....you really need to actuate the valves in the HCU (and skidding the bike on grass/gravel/etc is likely not enough as the actuation time with my tool is significantly longer and more thorough....sames goes for the Digital Tech method that the dealer uses (it's NOT just a quick pulse of the valves..etc).
Could you please post a link to this HCU tool that you're selling? What's the price?
maverick.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
kramykram
Registered Full

Quote:
i just bypassed mine with a fitting. I am not gonna lie. It really didnt seem to do much for stopping my bike. I flushed the old fluid out. It did great at first. But after a few stops it just felt like fade. I've tried different options. Just sucking it up and dropping it off at harley soon.
kramykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement