Valve lash interval poll - Page 12 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

View Poll Results: How many miles until you checked valve lash
10,000-15,000 miles 113 27.49%
15,000-20,000 miles 106 25.79%
20,000-25,000 miles 77 18.73%
25,000-30,000 miles 37 9.00%
Over 30,000 miles 78 18.98%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #166
hrlys4evr
HRLY$4EVR

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
40k miles, still have not checked the clearance. Still runs like day 1.
hrlys4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #167
SvFiat
Kidzap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm at 50K and still running strong and I met a guy on an 03 with 90K that never did the valve adjustment and he's running just fine. Like I've said before I'm more worried about the chain stretch than the valve clearance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #168
primo56
Registered Full

Garage
I had S.E. cams installed a while back. Will the higher lift affect wear on the shims? I really appreciate the info I get from this site, thanks guys!
primo56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #169
SvFiat
Kidzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo56 View Post
I had S.E. cams installed a while back. Will the higher lift affect wear on the shims? I really appreciate the info I get from this site, thanks guys!
Only place that might wear more is the face of the bucket but if the clearance was setup properly there shouldn't be a problem of any extraordinary wear with the S E cams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #170
primo56
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvFiat View Post
Only place that might wear more is the face of the bucket but if the clearance was setup properly there shouldn't be a problem of any extraordinary wear with the S E cams.
Thanks, good to hear that. Now if I can find a way to quiet the extra cam noise down a bit I'll be all set
primo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #171
SvFiat
Kidzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo56 View Post
Thanks, good to hear that. Now if I can find a way to quiet the extra cam noise down a bit I'll be all set
Wear ear plugs Cam noise is a fact of life due to the shim and bucket design unlike the Victory 106 which uses a hydraulic setup but then again Victories don't rev to 10,000 RPM.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #172
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRTURK View Post
I have a few questions for you about having your valve lash checked.

1st) This poll is for how many miles you have ridden before checking the valve lash without negative results for not following the recommended service interval.

2nd) For those of you who have exceeded the service recommendation, please post up what the findings were when checked, How many shims were changed. How much of an adjustment was needed with the changed shims?

There have been many times I have seen people post how far beyond the service recommendation they went without issues. This will collect all this information in one spot.
Had my old "2007 California DX/NRS" valve lash check completed today for the third time ....all in spec after 51,000 miles. Checking every 15K miles. Cost was $420.
03VRSCA "SOLD" after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #173
Shavvo
impede none & evade

I ran my 03 120K miles with no lash adjustments or costly checks. This means I saved enough money to buy a head job with new cams & valves. It was in spec as well.

But the rings were worm just out of spec so I put in a 1250 kit. (Eats a bit more gas, more low vibs, louder intake sound...not a whole lot more power for maybe 10 hp). Seriously folks. What kind of emotional issue spends that kind of money for 10 hp? LOL I got the kit for the cost of the parts not used in the warranty rebuild so it was a wash.

More reality.

The reason the rings were worn was because the K & N filter allows 3% or so more air to go by it. NO matter how much tack you spray on the thing. I changed oil every 3-5 religiously and also serviced that air filter like a fanatic.

Sure, you get a wee bit better performance with the K & N, but this allows 3-5% more particles to go into the com chamber as well. Go onto the K & N site and review the tech data on its filtration yourself. I did about 10 years ago since I used to sell filters to aviation. Yeah, you get a sticker, maybe a hat and you can join a fraternity about presuming to have the "best" filter, but really, its not so fantastic. Actually, rather subnormal.

So, in over 120K miles, you will get more wear proportionally to exactly how much more air it lets in. How much wear? Depends on in what region you live, how much abrasives are airborne. Here, back east, low abrasive silica, not so dusty, not so bad wear. So you weigh the 3 HP gain against the durability of the rings.

My opinion? Valve lash is a BM issue to consider, not a PM issue.
Shavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #174
next
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Did my 1st valve lash check and then adjustment myself at 28,760 miles. I didn't have any tight valves and all were on the loose side. I brought them back into spec. I probably won't check them for another 30k- 40k as I don't ride hard most of the time and it seems like they loosen not tighten on my bike.

Front Cylinder

Initial Readings / Adjusted

1)Exhaust 014"..................013"
2)Exhaust 015"..................012"
3)Intake 010"..................008"
4)Intake 011"..................009"

Rear Cylinder

5)Intake 010"..................009"
6)Intake 010"..................008"
7)Exhaust 013"..................013"
8)Exhaust 014"..................012"

I pulled the engine because I wanted the extra room to work on it and checked the rear mounts which were out of round and in need of replacing so with the money I saved doing the valve lash job myself I was able to buy new motor mounts front and rear and a True-Track stabilizer
next is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #175
knight rod rob
Registered Full

valve adjustment

56k on the 2012 dx. I did my first valve check at approx 25k, they were dead on, upper limit and one was slightly in the middle.Think it was an intake, I let it run. The next time I checked them was at 56k, I found the #2 exh was too tight, I could not fit a 020 mm under it. The lower limit is .295 mm. And found #6 intake and #8 exh at lower limit
So the shims I used were 2.08, 2.49, 2.25 mm. I want all my valves set to upper limit. I recall how they were set from the factory. I dont want to have to go back in for a long while. I have stone ground cams. Dont know if that makes any difference. The manual shows two different types.
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #176
Heavens Thunder
Justpassinthru

Got mine done on 2005 vrod se at 55,000 miles and intake were just out of specs and exhaust just okay and set a little. Will do again in 50,000 miles. Runs great at full throtle up to speed on highway . Ran great before but wanted to get it done and be sure and be Happy a long time and Smile every mile down the road.front intake was .25 more than spec set at 2.50, rear intake was .25 more than spec set at 2.329 ,front and rear exhaust perfect spec .
Old 08-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #177
v-rodjohn
Registered Full

hi guys im new to the vrod scene as i only had my 02 model a few weeks mine has std exhausts k&n and a pcv im looking to changing the exhaust and poss fit a super tuner later
v-rodjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:50 AM   #178
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

valve lash

Over 30k miles and 11 years..still haven't checked the lash...my bad not noisey or no lose of power..

'Crewzr
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,chrome rear slotted wheel and pully,chrome girly hand levers,kuryakin grips,Avon Cobra's 200mm rear,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY

XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement