The new Motor coming soon.... - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-20-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
Sletrab
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The new Motor coming soon....

I have been curious as to the new motor and what the other vrod peeps have to say about it.

1. will it have similar features that the last iteration of the vrods (1250)?
2. do we think the rev limit, power, sound might be almost the same?
3. the look, if it stays the same, do we like the brushed cooper look like the fxdr?
4. different specs from the 750 up to the 1250, does this actually make the vrod style come back and have these options?
5. speaking of look and style, if this motor gets accepted, and people like the models out now, will this push for the rebirth of the Muscle/nightrod to come back?? or maybe a combo of the fxdr and the vrods.....

Me:
1. I think this will have the same internals but made by harley
2. I am hoping they will keep the 9k rev if not go up to 11k. have a 6 speed and make around 140 HP and 95 Ft lbs. that would be ideal in my eyes.. especially if it wants to take on the ducati.
3. not a huge fan of the color. I prefer the low key look.. so a black out version or how it is now. but maybe a color match to the tank etc.
4. I would hope with all the different sizes this will make more options of frames this could be put into. which could help the vrod come back.
5. If the vrod does get the come back, maybe the birth of the fxdr and the vrod to make it even sexier would be great. have a functional ram air vs the closed off vents as stock, full leds still, the single sided swing arm would be a good look, a digital gauge with the possibility of drive by wire for power modes.

just my opinion.. I would be interested to hear what everyone else here thinks. cheers.
Sletrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
James71989
Registered Full

Im assuming we are talking about the new custom 1250 concept bike that supposed to be out in 2021 or 2022. I personally hope it is similar to the vrod, however i fear the engine will not be as good as the vrod engine. It will have close to the same redline and probably half the horsepower. Im curious what they sacrificed to make the thing meet emissions in Europe, which is why the supposedly killed the Vrod in the first place. Overall i dont hokd high hopes for this bike to be a replacement for the vrod.
James71989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by James71989 View Post
Overall i dont hold high hopes for this bike to be a replacement for the vrod.
Heh. I test rode the FXDR at Sturgis a few weeks ago because the Harley guy there said (and I quote)- "The FXDR is like the V-Rod on steroids".

Um, no.

Not even close.

I turned the test ride around early.

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
Mromaus
Registered Full

This thing?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...es/custom.html

If so, that is a pretty cool direction for HD.

For it to be competitive it will need to put out 130+ HP and adjustable suspension.

If it did I would pick it up when it's worth nothing because it's not a traditional HD.
Mromaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Moler
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not sure about that high exhaust. Pretty close to the boys. Shouldn't scrape though.
Moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Thing looks uncomfortable as all hell. Definitely not a long distance hauler, Around the block at most.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
We Need to Get Our Heads Around the Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sletrab View Post
I have been curious as to the new motor and what the other vrod peeps have to say about it.

1. will it have similar features that the last iteration of the vrods (1250)?
2. do we think the rev limit, power, sound might be almost the same?
3. the look, if it stays the same, do we like the brushed cooper look like the fxdr?
4. different specs from the 750 up to the 1250, does this actually make the vrod style come back and have these options?
5. speaking of look and style, if this motor gets accepted, and people like the models out now, will this push for the rebirth of the Muscle/nightrod to come back?? or maybe a combo of the fxdr and the vrods.....

Me:
1. I think this will have the same internals but made by harley
2. I am hoping they will keep the 9k rev if not go up to 11k. have a 6 speed and make around 140 HP and 95 Ft lbs. that would be ideal in my eyes.. especially if it wants to take on the ducati.
3. not a huge fan of the color. I prefer the low key look.. so a black out version or how it is now. but maybe a color match to the tank etc.
4. I would hope with all the different sizes this will make more options of frames this could be put into. which could help the vrod come back.
5. If the vrod does get the come back, maybe the birth of the fxdr and the vrod to make it even sexier would be great. have a functional ram air vs the closed off vents as stock, full leds still, the single sided swing arm would be a good look, a digital gauge with the possibility of drive by wire for power modes.

just my opinion.. I would be interested to hear what everyone else here thinks. cheers.
As I said in the title of my post, we need to get our heads around the reality that the V-Rod is gone and it's never coming back, and trying to talk ourselves into believing that another model from H-D is the V-Rod resurrected is useless.
H-D discontinued the fastest most reliable model of motorcycle the MoCo ever produced for half-assed lame reasons. The reason the V-Rod never sold the way H-D hoped is all on H-D. They totally mismanaged the marketing and promotion of the V-Rod.
The engine to be in production models for the Streetfighter, Pan-American and probably a few other models, is a 60 degree v-twin sort of like the V-Rod (they likely used some of the V-Rod technology), but it is not a new V-Rod engine. The new Streetfighter & Pan-American engine is sort of old news now. But the V-Rod engine as we know it is gone. It's never coming back. I could say forget about it but that would be hard to do considering I believe Corporate H-D made one of stupidest decisions ever (among a lot of other stupid decisions they've made in recent years).
If you might be talking about a new engine design H-D is planning to produce in the next few years, yes it looks like there is another design in the works.
If you do an online search you can find that in the past few days H-D filed an application for a patent for a new type of pushrod engine, supposedly to replace the M-8 engine. Here is one link to that. There're others you can find, possibly even at the US Patent website. I've searched there before but sometimes the website isn't easy to negotiate.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/harley-...ushrod-engine/

I edited this to add some comments. I have had H-D's forever and I'm no "spring chicken" as the saying goes. In addition to my turbo Muscle I still have a '74 Superglide FXE with a 6-speed tranny, my '12 120R turbo FLHX, and a '16 Ducati XDiavel S.
Sooo....the new LiveWire. I'm all behind the electric motorcycle. The LiveWire looks like the workmanship and finish is 1st rate. Performance is quite good, being able to do 0-60 in 3 seconds. H-D doesn't say exactly where within 3 seconds so I'm thinking likely the higher range. FYI my Ducati XDiavel will do 0-60 somewhere around 2.6-2.7 seconds, as will a number of other Ducati and other manufacturers models. Disregarding that detail, if the LiveWire wasn't so freakin' expensive for a motorcycle that gets only around 100 or so miles realistically on a charge ($30,000), I would seriously consider adding a LiveWire to my stable. FYI, I'm by no means a Steve McQueen or Jay Leno. I just like motorcycles and I probably spend too much on them...lol. I don't like the irritating sort of jet engine whine that H-D has built into the LiveWire, but I've read somewhere that H-D has programmed into the LiveWire 3 different sound effects to choose from...lol. I know a lot of guys are very negative on e-bikes but everyone needs to take a red pill and realize it is the future. I was in Shanghai, China a few years ago and a majority of the transportation used by people are smaller scooters and motorcycles that are electric powered and it's been that way for a long time. I would not get rid of my fossil fueled vehicles but I'm always open to new things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture A Successor to the M-8.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	533829  

Last edited by ozzie21; 08-29-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added Comments
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 AM   #8
mike_w
"Vrod King"

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You want a fun test ride? It has a 60 degree V-twin just like our Vrods but with a 6 speed. Kind of reminds me of riding an "R" but lighter. It's a.........................

Indian FTR 1200S

You know they are just like potato chips, you can't have just one.
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:46 AM   #9
ozzie21
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hmmmm...Let me Guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_w View Post
You want a fun test ride? It has a 60 degree V-twin just like our Vrods but with a 6 speed. Kind of reminds me of riding an "R" but lighter. It's a.........................

If you hadn't have said 60 degree v-twin I'd put the Ducati XDiavel out there as a good guess. When H-D discontinued the V-Rod I picked up a XDiavel S. I was absolutely (and still am) pissed at the idiots at H-D. Anyway the XDiavel series conforms to EU emission regulations with their Desmodromic Variable Timing and is all and more that the V-Rod easily could have been. The doughhead engineers at H-D should have been able to figure out something similar but I guess they're just too stooopid. But the XDiavel series has a 90 degree v-twin, a six speed tranny, a similar cruiser style riding position to the V-Rod and is 160 lbs lighter than my Muscle. The XDiavel has 154 HP and 13:1 compression and does 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds. Why can't H-D figure something out here guys?
Anyway because of the 60 degree engine you're citing I have to guess it would be an Indian Scout. Not a bad bike but for some reason I can't get my head around to liking the standard model Scout.
But the Indian FTR 1200 S is a different animal and definitely a good looking motorcycle heads and shoulders above anything H-D has/is or will be putting out in the next couple of years.
VERY SERIOUS QUESTION HERE. WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON?

Editied again...this time with performance specs..
From testing and reviews I've read here is what I've found out.
The Indian FTR 1200S 0-60 mph times are around 3.4 seconds and 1/4 mile performance is 11.32 seconds and 119.85 mph.
The Ducati XDiavel S 0-60 mph times are between 2.6 to 2.9 seconds and 1/4 mile performance 10.6 to 11.0 seconds in the 125-130 mph range. It varies a bit so I guess it depends somewhat on the rider and conditions on any particular day.
FYI I've been riding for a long time. I've done some drag racing too. I don't know who can take an XDS like mine and get a 2.6 second 0-60 mph time from it but I have to admit that ain't me. The XDS has traction control, wheelie control and 3 different programmed riding configurations to pick from but I can't figure out how to keep the front wheel from going into the air...lol.
I'm still a Harley guy. The kool-aid hasn't completely worn off and I'm hoping for the best from the MoCo but it sure looks like to me they have the wrong people in place making decisions.

Indian FTR 1200S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture Indian FTR 1200 S.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	533831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati_2016_XDiavel_S_Side_513309_1280x853.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	568.4 KB
ID:	533833  

Last edited by ozzie21; 08-30-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Added Comments
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Mromaus
Registered Full

I agree with Ozzie that the vrod was not handled well.

All I know about these bikes is the Youtube promotion that I watched.

(I did not watch it again)

If I remember they talked about a water cooled 996 v-twin. That is not a hard motor to make, almost every manufacturer out there has made a performance version one time or another. They peaked about 130-150hp.

Now we are seeing the same engines in higher displacements, or better yet in v-4 versions. My point is that even if HD released those engines today they are behind the curve. So, don't get too excited.
Mromaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
CVO1
"Grab your ankles"

IMHO, the 1250 Concept looks like a cafe racer from the 1930's. Uncomfortable riding position and over-sized, sand dune tires are included. It's not for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cafe.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	533847  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CVO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
Sletrab
Registered Full

Thanks for the feed back, and I just want HD to realize that the sport cruiser market is leaning towards the sport section, so lean angle and pretty high HP. Now with the new rocket 3 following Ducati's lead in styling and power - I think if HD wants to keep in line with that their new motor must fit with in the same power range and the weight somewhere in between the Ducati and the Rocket III.

As for the electric Motos - yes I like them. I like the instant TQ, the ease ability of just getting on and twisting the throttle, the looks are not half bad, just agree on the sound. It is okay but wish it was a little quieter. Hoping to go on a test ride here with in the next few weeks b4 the weather here in chicago turns.

once again thanks for the feed back and here is hoping that the real reason the Vrod was cancelled is to be brought back like the Dyna low rider s, but have the vrod go to the gym a little and lean some weight out and gain some more HP lol. cheers yall.
Sletrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement