10K Service Problem, Big Problem - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-08-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Lomax
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
10K Service Problem, Big Problem

Hi everyone, I went to Ray Price Harley Davidson in Raliegh yesterday for 10K service on my VROD,,it has 10,700 miles. This was the first service this dealer has done for me.. I ride the piss out of it regularly, ,weather permitting. I have Screamin Eagles exhaust , computor,and the filter upgrades. Otherwise no performance mods. Bike runs like a Banshee and I dearly love it.
When I returned and picked up the bike they said no problems noted by tech, and that as requested they put in synthetic oil, so far so good. I paid teh $392 bux and got on the bike nearly empty on gas. within 100 yards there are 2 stops and the bike cut-off both times. As its very low on fuel i figured it must be running empty.Not so got gas in another 200 yards and it quit twice more,,also noted the speedo not working but tach worked as did fuel gauge. And when i got on highway noticed it didnt feel quite as strong as in the moring ride in. And it cut off twice more at stops. I called them and they asked if I could bring it in now,,yes I can and I went right back to teh dealer. They went out of the way to help and let me ride a loaner 2003 Superglide home..man,,can't believe people actually choose this thing over a VROD. Anyway
Today they called and asked about my extended warranty number and informed me the wiring harness melted and was frayed. Not sure which wiring and and not knowledgeable about it anyway. It was a $50 part and about 2 hours labor and would be a $50- deductable. The agent said that teh computor showed that this thing had ?tripped,5 times before and it shows on the computor they use.
But something does not make sense ya'll, it was fine when i delivered it there.
Any imput appreciated, I have one more year on extended warranty.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for such a long post. Jeffery Lomax
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
bassist
Registered Full

they screwed something up and want to get the fix paid for by your extended service plan. if i were you, i'd try to get the dealership to pay the deductible. trying to blame the dealership (even when they are clearly guilty) is often counter-productive. here's a few of the things i learned after 35,000 customer contacts and thousands of repair orders written for an automotive manufacturer:

1. Fixing the blame and fixing the problem are not the same thing.

2. Often the closer you get to the person that actually caused the problem, the farther away you're getting from a satisfactory resolution.

3. Don't go back to the same place a third time with the same problem.

while these aphorisms may not make you happy; they may help to reduce some
unavoidable aggravation. are there exceptions? yep. is this engraved in stone? nope, but it reflects my own experience in a less-than-perfect world and has broader application than just motorcycle repair.

good luck.
bassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Lomax the first thing I would want to know is the exact location of the harness and was it moved during the valve check or plug replacement. The odds are about 90% that a harness was not put back in the proper location while service was being done. If it was in the area of service then the question would have to come in how they missed the codes and the problem while performing a major service. At any rate you should expect the repair done without any charges to your extended warranty or out of your pocket. You might even ask to have the service re-done by a more qualified tech. IMHO

Max

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
polizzio
just a ghost now

Events like this one are absolutely rediculous. You bring your perfectly running vrod in for service, you pay your bill and the thing runs like shit and with errors. You call immediately and they want another $50 to make it right. Sorry, I don't buy it, I think the second repair/claim is to fix their error in the first go round. Least they can do is eat the $50 themselves. What about your inconvienence and disappointment with their services? Most of the stealers suck plain and simple. Notice I stated most, there are exceptions no doubt.
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. - Mark Twain

#139 of 90,000+ members here
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Ricky G.

This problem with THE PERCENTAGE OF LAME TECHNICIANS has been around for years and its sad to say that it will not go away any time soon. my father has a chevrolet dealership in louisiana and he has the same problem. You as an adult need to make the right choices do what you think is right ...The technicians at the shop in my town seem to be OK I'm friends with all of them ...They ask me why I do all of my services and I tell them the truth... GUYS I JUST DON'T TRUST ANYONE ...FOR YOU SEE THIS IS MY BIKE AND NO ONE WILL TREAT IT WITH THE RESPECT AND CARE LIKE I DO ...they understand and we all still remain friends...Deep down inside they know that HARLEY-DAVIDSON has a customer relation problem but if they say anything about it they are BLACKBALLED IN THE HARLEY WORLD.....
Old 06-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
SKIROD
MASTER VR TECH

Your Kill'in me RICK!!! Would you let me work on your bike???? I bet I will find something wrong. Later SKI.
SKIROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
Ricky G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIROD
Your Kill'in me RICK!!! Would you let me work on your bike???? I bet I will find something wrong. Later SKI.

SKI ..
I promise you that there is NOTHING WRONG on my bike... And I can also promise you if I let a dealership work on my bike I would defiantly have problems ... So I guess the answer is NO...(NOTHING PERSONAL)

P.S. SKI.. Just read the numerous complaints about service and its not isolated cases these complaints are from all over the U.S.A. Come on SKI wake up and smell the Roses.......

Last edited by Ricky G.; 06-09-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Ricky G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:53 AM   #8
mr_vrodder
Making the UK Fatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky G.
P.S. SKI.. Just read the numerous complaints about service and its not isolated cases these complaints are from all over the U.S.A. Come on SKI wake up and smell the Roses.......
Hey Ricky, Not so good in the UK either.
mr_vrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
eduardobibm
myv-rodcompletesme

I still haven't found a dealer I'm satisfied with.
I try to do most my own work, but I'm afraid my mechanical skills are not what they need to be. I have a triumph that I do almost everything for, but not sure I have what it takes to service the v-rod. The triumph is relatively low tech.

I'm comming up on my 10k service. What can I expect to pay for it? This is the valve adjustment interval correct? I hear it can be expensive.
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
Panman
Registered Full

I have a son at MMI and he graduates in July. He has perfect attendance and a 3.97 gpa. He recently finished up the V-ROD phase and I would let him work on mine anyday.

He wanted to work at a dealership to get some experience but didn't get one resonable offer$$.

He is going to work for Ray Carlson at ThunderBay in Tampa. He will lose his HD certifications in two years if a dealership doesn't employee him.

The service is bad at HD dealerships because they employee based on the buddy system and don't pay.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
Ricky G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_vrodder
Hey Ricky, Not so good in the UK either.

I REST MY CASE........
Old 06-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #12
vroddrew
Tired of the crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman
The service is bad at HD dealerships because they employee based on the buddy system and don't pay.
There is, unfortunately, a lot of truth in this statement.

I have heard that some dealerships do not like to hire MMI graduates because they have a reputation for acting like prima donnas in the service area, with expectations that are not in line with the realities of a H-D dealership. (I'm not saying this is true - but this is what dealerships claim..)

Many dealerships prefer to train their technicians in-house. They start by working as porters (washing bikes, etc.) and then moving on to learn more demanding skills. Once they have a few years practical experience, the dealership may elect to send them to HDU for "factory" training.

There are some very real challenges faced in recruiting and retaining skilled technicians. For one thing, in most parts of the country the motorcycle season is at best 8 months long, meaning that many techs are laid off over the winter months.
3.fail to win (a game or contest)

loose |loōs| adjective
1.not firmly or tightly fixed in place
2.(of a garment) not fitting tightly or closely
3.relaxed; physically slack
vroddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #13
DJLamont
Registered Full

Panman,

Can you give a range on the hourly rates they pay certified HD mechanics when they come out of MMI? I'm wondering if this would be something worth doing. Also if you or anyone else out there knows. What is the income range for a certified HD mechanic? You know, from day one out of school thru someone that is a master with years of experience.

Thanks
DJLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #14
Ricky G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman
I have a son at MMI and he graduates in July. He has perfect attendance and a 3.97 gpa. He recently finished up the V-ROD phase and I would let him work on mine anyday.

He wanted to work at a dealership to get some experience but didn't get one resonable offer$$.

He is going to work for Ray Carlson at ThunderBay in Tampa. He will lose his HD certifications in two years if a dealership doesn't employee him.

I hope that your son will be able to spread his knowladge to the technicians out there and also that he dose not get caught up in the Harley-Davidson Syndrome of we are better than everone....YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR SON AND I KNOW THAT YOU ARE..
Old 06-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #15
SKIROD
MASTER VR TECH

Bash Me Some More!!! I had It good while in school. I worked at Titan MC as a Builder. Learned alot during the day and went to school at nite. Right out of school, anywhere in the contry you will be put at 9-10 dollars an hour. It depends on who you get hooked up with. I have found the warm climates pay lower to start out. Especially around a school. I.E. MMI, AMI. I learned the hard way. You must travel in this biz. I took a job in So. Ill. for $9.00 an hour. Winter came and I moved. I was loosin my ass. This was the time the VR came out. I was mak'in $14 at Titan still going to school. I worked at Tombstone in Palm Beach Fl. Lost my ass. I knew that the Stealer would give me Fact. training if I could hold out for 5 years I would be a Master of Technology. Then by chance I could teach at MMI or possibly get a Fact. job. So I went to Ft. Laud. H-D. Brought my Titan Exp. to the Big Dog owners. Then one day the VR was dropped in my lap. The only tools I had were a 10mm and a 12mm wrench. I did'nt want to work on them. I wanted the Custom V-Twins. But an old Honda Gl Tech. told me to jump on this opp. He started in '75. Nobody wanted to work on them. "Give it to the New Guy". Today he is one of three that are still with it. So the next day I bought $2500 worth of tools, and learned everyting I can about this bike. Thats how I got the name Ski-Rod. I found a GREAT!!! Dealer in Miami. I am only at the Expert level. But with bonus and commission I make around $70,000 a year. Good enough for me. We are the 2nd Top Pay'in Dealership in the country. I was lucky to get in. Most Techs Retire out of this shop. One did, and I came in. I know you did'nt want to hear my story, but you all know I care about you. Even you Ricky. I would still find something wrong!!!!! Sorry about your Stealer problems. Remember I am just a Tech. that cares. This bike is still new 2 the average Stealer. The only thing I can compare this to. At your work, Don't you see people that you ask to yourself,"How did this person survive this long?" It's the same with Techs. Even when I was a Cop. I would see it everyday. This post has gone on too long. I made myself who I am. The Fact. helped. When you don't care about something, Do You Try? Later SKI.
SKIROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement