Power loss with packing removed? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCF
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
N3M3SIS2ALL
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power loss with packing removed?

Hello, my buddy backed out on selling me his 2 in 1 v&h so Iím thinking of removing my packing on my v&h slip ons for a little more aggressive sound. I do have the basic k&n filter and a fuelpak and will retune accordingly but just curious if there is a significant power loss in doing so? I heard something about back pressure but idk.

Plus if anybody has the map for such a procedure i would appreciate if you can send it,....currently on chat but no one is responding, and their email isnít working.
N3M3SIS2ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
bogie
VRSCF

Garage
There are already removable baffles in the V&H slip ons - have you removed these ? there is a small allen bolt holiding them in.

These bikes do benefit from a custom tune. I run my V&H slip ons with a custom map done by SEPT that came with the bike. On the standard Harley stage 1 tune it was 111bhp at the wheel, after some tweaking 117bhp. This is about average for a stage 1 bike (exhaust and air filter).

I dont believe there is much to be gained with a 2-1 unless you have further tuning (cams, heads etc) and really its a drag race pipe so works great in a straight line and scrapes on tight right hand corners . The slip ons actually have better ground clearance and dont scrape even when at the edge of the rear tyre.

I would stay with the slip ons and just get your bike custom tuned. Should only take an hour or so dyno time to tweak the map a little.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Usually the increased noise with the packing removed makes the rider short shift the bike to keep their ear from bleeding. If you can ride a Revo often to 9K Rpm with no baffle packing in the pipe you are a wild man - I've got my 2-1 Bub 7, added an automotive BMW 4" C/F clad S-S resonator and its perfect - no earplugs required, full Rpm is fine. it's on an R Model, higher, and never scrapes but on a Muscle I agree with bogie.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
... If you can ride a Revo often to 9K Rpm with no baffle packing in the pipe you are a wild man...
(and I'm damn near deaf without my hearing aids anyway.)

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just donít give a shit.Ē

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Only good ears bleed !

H-D Heathen said "(and I'm damn near deaf without my hearing aids anyway.)" That's next for me do they have any hearing aids that stop tinnitus ? Too many Jets daily in my ears after too many years racing off road before I used earplugs so my friggin' ears ring all the time. I've found what I think is the right sound for a Revo though with my 2-1 pipe and 4" resonator with a 2.5" reducer out the back -its straight through but lighter and has a great cadence. I think a 2-1 like a V&H or Bub 7 like mine with a V&H " Pro pipe " from a big H-D twin grafted on it would be possibly better and easier. The step-up to a larger diameter slows the exiting gasses and lowers the tone. The Muscle setup has a great sound and flows well, length of pipe is good for back pressure, and low end power. Short 2-1 open pipes are IMHO annoying for rider, pax, surrounding traffic, & loses rideable tq & power. Take 'em to the drag strip that's where they shine. Stuff a Db reducer in it and power drops so it takes a longer pipe or dual exit to get flow with backpressure, proper cadence and keep the tone lower. I wouldn't take the packing out of any muffler, and I dont see any possible measureable positive benefit from doing it, unless you're putting stainless steel packing back in so it doesn't blow out and get louder like fiberglass packing does.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
... do they have any hearing aids that stop tinnitus ? ...
Not to my knowledge. My ears are ringing 24/7 and have ever since 1975. 18 years in a steel forge plant. Db meter went off the scale when OSHA walked in.

Not a jet engine but damaging just the same.

I was fitted for my first hearing aids in 1980,on my fourth set now. There have been advances since my first,but none of them replace your natural hearing.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just donít give a shit.Ē

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement