Straight pipe=nuts! - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
DannyCoolBeans
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight pipe=nuts!

So yeah I was playing around with the exhaust the other day.

Have/ Do any of you MONSTERS ever ran/ run a non baffled or a straight pipe?

This mudda fuka sounds insanely loud and crazy rolling through gears. WOT scares children and idle sounds menacing. Got lots of thumbs up and looks but you definitely need ear plugs with this. My friends refused to ride on my right hand side lol

DannyCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Akrapovic here too, my Street Rod:
Did a dyno run in non baffled version. Stupid loud. Bolted back the silencer again, did a new dyno run and the silencer stole 8 hp..! Well, can`t get everything in life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Ringo
Registered Full

The only way I roll! Sound is addictive but I also love muscle cars, go figure.......

Thought about getting a set of baffles for the occasion I may want them but haven't found a real desire yet. Not too bad when taking it easy but open her up and oh mama hold on to your rooster.

2009 VRSCDX
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Ringo
Registered Full

Those are the Akrapovic pipes? Slick looking.

2009 VRSCDX
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
mike_w
"Vrod King"

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oh, your neighbors are gonna just love you. My "X" has the Ground Pounders on it and my neighbors can hear them coming from about 5 blocks away. Can't take that one out if I'm coming home late.

You know they are just like potato chips, you can't have just one.
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Knut J you just confirmed my long time suspicion that the Akrapovic pipes power increase is limited by the Euro Spec muffler - they don't even advertise very much of an increase on their website. So of course that begs the question has anyone fitted up another less restrictive muffler to try to retain some back pressure & torque while getting some of the open pipe Hp increase ? 8 Hp is a lot to loose with a muffler but what did the torque do ? Did it go up with the muffler ? Thanks - My BuB7 is pretty loud but bearable below 4500 Rpm but after that well yea, hearing damage - my right ear can no longer hear the ceiling fan when sleeping, and 40 years of airplane noise didn't help, but the V Rod finished it off. Thinking about adding a Supertrapp 12 -16 disc assy. in place of the end cap, it will fit right in and retain flow while cutting the noise.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 AM   #7
CycleSavage
Registered Full

Garage
I put Supertrapp plates and end cap on my DanMoto 2into1. It helped a lot but it’s still pretty loud.
CycleSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

So CycleSavage how many discs seemed best ? Did you use an Open or Closed end cap ? Did it cut the obnoxious noise maybe 20% or what ? If so I'm doing it I just need less noise while accessing the great high RPM REVO power, thanks.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
Ringo
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_w View Post
Oh, your neighbors are gonna just love you. My "X" has the Ground Pounders on it and my neighbors can hear them coming from about 5 blocks away. Can't take that one out if I'm coming home late.
Oh, they're used to it. I have basically the same pipes on my VStar for the last 10 yrs, maybe even shorter. I only idle down the street so it's pretty tame till I turn......

Then they can hear me off in the distance for 5 miles...... LOL

2009 VRSCDX
Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
DannyCoolBeans
Registered Full

I love the look and sound of it with my shorty non baffled setup but if I do continue to use it I gotta find a way to add sooooome type of baffle to tame it. Hearing loss is no joke
Old 07-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
DannyCoolBeans
Registered Full

Yea they are Akra pipes. I lasted 4 days with the straight pipe lol

Old 07-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #12
CycleSavage
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
So CycleSavage how many discs seemed best ? Did you use an Open or Closed end cap ? Did it cut the obnoxious noise maybe 20% or what ? If so I'm doing it I just need less noise while accessing the great high RPM REVO power, thanks.
I ended up with 12 discs and an open end cap. It helped, but I wouldn’t call it quiet.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Sounds good CycleSavage that's what I was going to start with then go to closed end cap if needed - my bike sounds great @ lower RPM acceleration and reverbs nicely pulling power under overpasses, its just the upper half of the RPM range that enters the ear splitting obnoxious zone that needs a little taming, and I don't want to loose flow & power so I think I'll try it, thanks -
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
CycleSavage
Registered Full

Garage
I actually put the open end cap thinking that more sound would go behind me.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #15
becksandphil
Registered Full

I've got Fitzgerald Motorsport's Straight To Hell Pipe.

Crazy loud drag pipe.
becksandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement