Outboard Bearing Support - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Big Bore/Turbo/SC/NOS area
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
dimebag
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Outboard Bearing Support

A number of years ago, Trask offered an outboard bearing support for the V-rod. This appears to no longer be the case and out of production. Additionally I cannot find one through E-bay or a general Google search but Iíve a few inquiries out to try and locate one.

That being said my question is a more general one. For a high horse power V-rods, Iíve heard the output shaft is subjected to flexing under high loads, especially under drag racing conditions. The outboard bearing support works to correct this as another anchor point, anchoring the output shaft to the case, to distribute load and prevent flexing.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend a solution in the absence of the outboard bearing support?

To accommodate my build Iíve a fully build transmission, not just a back cut 2nd gear but all the gear back cut, hardened, and supposedly rated for 300hp. For the clutch Iíve a lock up clutch from AIM as well as a billet clutch basket.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dimebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
coastrider
Registered Full
 
coastrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 684
Images: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimebag View Post
A number of years ago, Trask offered an outboard bearing support for the V-rod. This appears to no longer be the case and out of production. Additionally I cannot find one through E-bay or a general Google search but Iíve a few inquiries out to try and locate one.

That being said my question is a more general one. For a high horse power V-rods, Iíve heard the output shaft is subjected to flexing under high loads, especially under drag racing conditions. The outboard bearing support works to correct this as another anchor point, anchoring the output shaft to the case, to distribute load and prevent flexing.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend a solution in the absence of the outboard bearing support?

To accommodate my build Iíve a fully build transmission, not just a back cut 2nd gear but all the gear back cut, hardened, and supposedly rated for 300hp. For the clutch Iíve a lock up clutch from AIM as well as a billet clutch basket.
Contact Steve Taylor at Taylormadewheels

http://www.taylormade-wheels.co.uk/index.php

He does a really well designed bearing support as well as a lot of other really cool V Rod stuff. Very nice guy to deal with too.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
coastrider
Registered Full
 
coastrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 684
Images: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Click image for larger version

Name:	360 brg.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	532433

This is his kit for 360 rear, but does other variants.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
dimebag
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the line, ill contact him to see what he can do, but in general i'm wondering if this is a non-issue.

There a plenty of high horsepower, boosted and N/A V-rods out there, and I've not heard anything about needing additional support on the output shaft, or an output shaft failing.

what im really after is to confirm or refute the validity of transmission flexing in high horsepower applications before i commit to fixing it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dimebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
coastrider
Registered Full
 
coastrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 684
Images: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimebag View Post
Thanks for the line, ill contact him to see what he can do, but in general i'm wondering if this is a non-issue.

There a plenty of high horsepower, boosted and N/A V-rods out there, and I've not heard anything about needing additional support on the output shaft, or an output shaft failing.

what im really after is to confirm or refute the validity of transmission flexing in high horsepower applications before i commit to fixing it.
He's the guy to ask. Not much he doesn't know about modding V Rods and V Maxs.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
mike_w
"Vrod King"
 
mike_w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 768
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You could also try the one from D&G Chassis (dgchassis.net). I too looked into this just a few months ago and also emailed Trask. Don't know why they don't want to make them anymore? There is a CNC shop just a few buildings down from them that could run small numbers of them.
__________________
'02 VRSCA a.k.a. "No Wife", '05 VRSCSE a.k.a. "No Kids", '07 VRSCX a.k.a. "No Girlfriend" , '09 VRSCAW a.k.a "September Project (The Turbo One)"
'03 VRSCA (now next project), '05 VRSCA (also for parts), '14 VRSCDX (I'm NOT hoarding parts)

You know they are just like potato chips, you can't have just one.
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
dimebag
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_w View Post
You could also try the one from D&G Chassis (dgchassis.net). I too looked into this just a few months ago and also emailed Trask. Don't know why they don't want to make them anymore? There is a CNC shop just a few buildings down from them that could run small numbers of them.
...Opportunity for a group buy? Either Trask, D&G, or Taylor Made whoever will return the phone call?

I tired contacting Ruthless Performance Motorsport as i know they had a few as of a few months ago (no luck) and the owner mentioned that I'm the third individual to request the outboard bearing support.

Sounds like there's at least a few individuals interested.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dimebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
dimebag
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got ahold of a Trask sales employee who stated that 20 units would need to confirmed to make the group buy worth while. Still have a group buy inquiry with Taylor-Made who is quite quick to respond. In the mean time I set up a thread in the group buy section to gauge interest.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dimebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trask outboard bearing support mike_w Classified - Wanted 8 01-11-2019 12:42 AM
Trask Outboard Bearing Support VrodPete Classified - For Sale - Parts 16 07-26-2014 11:23 PM
Saddlebag support bracket or fender base support bracket? Needed for pillion? hhhjesus V-ROD General 1 01-21-2013 09:33 AM
Bearing Support Plate??? V Ride V-ROD General 0 04-16-2007 04:33 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum