Yearly Maintenance - Vrod - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
dannyddn
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yearly Maintenance - Vrod

Hey all,

I picked up my vrod in May of last year. I put maybe 1K on it since, been stored since November.

For the better part of the winter, I had the battery on a tender, until I moved, I then had it off the tender and it drained the battery. I put it back on the tender but every time I took it off, it would drain in a few hours. I've had it on a tender since then and the battery seems okay, I believe it dies in a day or two now, but not immediately like it had in the winter. i think it just needs a full charge. Has anyone experienced this? Is it better to replace the battery?

In terms of my thread title, what sort of maintenance is required after a season of storage? When I bought the bike, I was told the oil was changed. I read online that oil change intervals is 8K which I'm no where near. If I don't hit the 5-8K intervals, should the oil still be changed every year, or what is the time frequency? Any thing else I should be worried about and pay close attention to before taking it back on the road, other than the obvious like tire pressure, etc.

Thanks
dannyddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
Bikerboy
Registered Full

I change the oil every year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a mustang in my garage that is 2 years old and only one oil change, 8000 total miles on car. would be same for the bike if i rode it that little. note that i use mobile 1 in both

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 street rod SuperCharged (and proud of it)
'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Tie_One_On is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
stevemcgov
Registered Full

The VROD Engine shares the oil with the Clutch (wet clutch)
It needs to be changed more often than a car, even if full synthetic.
Opinion: I use Mobil 1 V-Twin Synth. EZ to get, just about as good as Amsoil...?
I don't go much over 2k on oil.
This year I'll probably drop it a 1k if I ride it good and hard.
I got a Dimple Magnetic Drain plug to help grab metal bits floating around and give you an idea if you got issues.

Right before I lay it up for the winter I change the oil. Religiously.
Get it hot and put the rear wheel up on a 2x4 to drain it good.
I believe its best to not let old carbonized black oil sit in it all winter
Then in the spring your all set to ride.
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
stevemcgov
Registered Full

Congrats a little late

When I got mine I learned how to totally drain the Coolant 1st thing.
Left Lower corner of Radiator there's a butterfly looking drain screw (it's EZ to break)
Middle front of the Front Cyl there's another drain screw.
Filler Neck Under Seat -
Overflow-Reserve Front Right Has- "Full": Line in it. - (remove right frame cover)

** Pull off the top of the airbox - right side of the AirBox Bottom there's a rubber cap- remove it - there's is a vent screw under it there that you can use to: vent air : add coolant.

I ran it on Distilled water and a little Vinegar 3 cycles and flushed.
Wanted to make sure no junk in there.
Filled it burped it - all set.
Fluid says - "Lifetime" - whatever.
Peak Global Lifetime is the same stuff but other high end options too..dexcool? Blue Ice?

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showth...ght=antifreeze

Obviously cooling the engine is crucial ...
There are some common fixable issues with the 2 cooling fans .
Test: When the Maxi Fuse is put in, the Fans should spin up strong for 3-5 seconds -
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
freudie1
Registered Full

Abs?

If you have ABS flush your brake fluid (and clutch as well while your at it).

Someone on this board (me) happens to have created a product for the ABS guys to flush like the dealer.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
adri
Registered Full

I was really disappointed with the "how-to" oil change videos on the v-rod so i just made my own. This might be helpful to you:

When I bought my V-Rod my brake fluid was also super dark, so you might wanna look at that as well. Seems it often gets neglected.
adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri View Post
When I bought my V-Rod my brake fluid was also super dark, so you might wanna look at that as well. Seems it often gets neglected.
Or not flushed correctly in the case that you have ABS (see my comment above about using a utility).
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
adri
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
Or not flushed correctly in the case that you have ABS (see my comment above about using a utility).
I wish, but unfortunately not on my 2006 VSCD. Although I'm kinda curious to see your product. Got a link I can check out? I'm dating an engineer, we're both interested in seeing what you came up with
adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri View Post
I wish, but unfortunately not on my 2006 VSCD. Although I'm kinda curious to see your product. Got a link I can check out? I'm dating an engineer, we're both interested in seeing what you came up with
Here: http://infotechmercenary.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement