Failed ABS HCU - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyth View Post
I thought I would jump in on this conversation.

My ABS went out and like the rear brake issue, I had the front brake fail. The handle would not pull in and I was left with only the rear brakes. I do a lot of engine braking, so was not that serious. Could have been worse.

I replaced all of the brake lines with custom lines. I am tired of HD prices and wait times. I used Venhill and was very happy with the lines. I am currently in the process of removing all of the wiring involving the ABS since the failure caused a failure in the ABS Diodes as well. This means no brake lights. Hopefully this will reduce future problems.

Overall, it would have been easier to get a double banjo bolt and bypass the ABS module with two lines, but I wanted to make the bike more serviceable for the future if I had problems.

If you change lines out, the rear brakes use a pressure sensor for the brake lights. I bought an aftermarket banjo bolt sensor to alleviate more line connections and everything lined up great.
Got a link or pic for that?
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
Golyth
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banjo Bolt Switch is a 10mm x 1.00. The one I ordered was about .25" to long and I had to cut it shorter. Other than that it seems to be working just fine. I tested with a voltmeter, but not on the road yet.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am attaching two pics. One is for the Banjo Switch. The second is the tee I used on the front brake lines. I used Venhill for the brake lines. The tee fit real nice in place of the stock tee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Banjo Switch.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	732.5 KB
ID:	521657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tee.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	951.6 KB
ID:	521665  
Golyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golyth View Post
Banjo Bolt Switch is a 10mm x 1.00. The one I ordered was about .25" to long and I had to cut it shorter. Other than that it seems to be working just fine. I tested with a voltmeter, but not on the road yet.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am attaching two pics. One is for the Banjo Switch. The second is the tee I used on the front brake lines. I used Venhill for the brake lines. The tee fit real nice in place of the stock tee.
Thanks.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #19
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Shouldn't go fast till you know how to stop.

Geez, major hassle for H-D ABS brakes. Are they worth it ? Need a few stories where they cut in and saved someones A$$ big time. They are on every jet I work on and normally if there is a problem it's from lack of use, but they can be indispensable. Had a similar stiff rear brake pedal on my non ABS R Model last time I went to the mountains, went away after a few applications, when I got home found brake fluid seeping at hose banjo at rear brake caliper, failed hose internally, particles got in and would block the small ports and give a stiff pedal but little or no brake, new hose no problem, but at least it didn't affect the front brakes. Unless ABS is coupled to lean angle and G force all they do is keep weenie riders from locking up the brakes in a panic or low traction situation, which I guess is justification enough to have them on a production bike but how many racers specify them unless they are factory installed on their race bike ?
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #20
Golyth
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
Geez, major hassle for H-D ABS brakes. Are they worth it ? Need a few stories where they cut in and saved someones A$$ big time. They are on every jet I work on and normally if there is a problem it's from lack of use, but they can be indispensable. Had a similar stiff rear brake pedal on my non ABS R Model last time I went to the mountains, went away after a few applications, when I got home found brake fluid seeping at hose banjo at rear brake caliper, failed hose internally, particles got in and would block the small ports and give a stiff pedal but little or no brake, new hose no problem, but at least it didn't affect the front brakes. Unless ABS is coupled to lean angle and G force all they do is keep weenie riders from locking up the brakes in a panic or low traction situation, which I guess is justification enough to have them on a production bike but how many racers specify them unless they are factory installed on their race bike ?
When I bought mine, I wanted a Night Rod Special in matte black. The ABS model is what was available. Hindsight, I never would have bought it and I would have waited for a non-ABS model. I have been riding for a long time and this is the first bike I have ever had with ABS.

Now that I have changed the brake lines out, they are easy to get to. If I have a problem with a brake line failure, it will cost about $25 for a new hose and I will not have to tear anything on the bike apart to get to the line. I feel like I'm setting myself up to make future problems easier to work with.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
Kevin.choe1983
Registered Full

What steps did you take to bypass the abs
Kevin.choe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #22
Golyth
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.choe1983 View Post
What steps did you take to bypass the abs
Sorry for the excessively late replay. I ran all new brake lines. The old lines I removed and put plugs in the ABS module. I now have an ABS light that is on all the time, but it passes inspection and brakes much better. You can truly feel the difference.

The brake lines that I used were Venhill. It allowed some versatility, they had a tee for the front brakes that mounted nicely, and the customer service was great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement