clutch pack hard as rock - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
[QUOTE=RONVROD;4739407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie_One_On View Post
How stupid am I.
I just noticed while looking at the pics I uploaded, this is a HD slipper clutch pack and not a Barnetts clutch pack.
Look at the HD numbers on the thing, I hold in my hand the entire purchase (did not only purchase disks and plates).

Are you staggering the top disk? If not then the top disk has to go into the short slot between the deep slots.

Ron

sorry. not following this.
Tgere are 2 special disks friction both are together on the installed top with the ri g washers if you want to call them that. one is flat and one tilted but the special friction disks dont touch them bcuz the inner hole too big on disks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 street rod SuperCharged (and proud of it)
'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Tie_One_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONVROD View Post
Are you staggering the top disk? If not then the top disk has to go into the short slot between the deep slots.

Ron
oh, I understand your comment know.
Older takes more time to sink in.
I have the top if you will call it that, friction disk yes staggered into the offset cutout slots.

This is what I have from furthest out from the engine working towards the engine,

damper spring seat
damper spring
special friction (has more friction contacts on faces) plate offset into slot by itself
special clutch plate meshed into special cuts in the clutch hub
the second special friction plate
regular clutch plate
then regular friction plate and clutch plate alternating until the last friction plate is set against the clutch pressure plate.

I also tried the second special friction plate at the back of the pile as the HD book shows a standard clutch pack is stacked and same results.

For the life of me I cant see any reason why my hand lever is hard as a rock once I put this all together, other than the fact that when I torque down the lifter plate to 9.7nm and see the plate appears to touch the back of the clutch hub, any other reason for the lack of lever.
I do notice there are still spring travel when torqued but cant use them because like I said above, the hub is touching.

One final note. I bought the Holy Moto billet basket and it was said to fit all models. I assume this is correct ?
I also ordered the 5 bolt lifter plate with it, but cant use it because the screaming eagle slipper clutch is only a 4 bolt (fits all models) setup so I used the lifter plate that came with the slipper pack obviously.
I state this because this is the only thing that does not seem to fit is the lifter plate to slipper clutch hub that came together in the same box from HD.
I dont remember anyone saying they had any issue with the Holy Moto billet basket so I am sure thats not the issue.
I can lay every piece out and take a pic if anyone thinks it would help see something I cant see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #18
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
clutch pack hard as rock

I had a similar issue when putting my clutch together a couple months ago. I was not getting the bottom disc engaged on the teeth in the hub and the clutch pack was loose when all torqued down. By loose I mean the discs could be moved easily. Once together correctly the pack is tight with no movement of the discs. Make sure you have the damper springs in correctly and make sure the clutch thrust washer is in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

update have clutch now
I took the HM billet oit and slid the slipper into the stock basket and all problems solved.
Not sure what is wrong with the Holy Moto billet basket.
It appears to be of superior quality and design.
Now I spent over 300 for a fishing weight ??

'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Old 05-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #20
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

NOW I am NOT badmouthing Holy Moto or their products here but I would have thought they would have chimed in and said something about this.
I will be contacting them to see if they will take the unit back.
OR
Is anyone interested in a billet Holy Moto clutch basket ??
Priced at a steel for $200 shipped within the CONUS

'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement