What red loctite type you guys using ? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
Upnorthbiker
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunderland, UK
Posts: 77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What red loctite type you guys using ?

Hi,
I use loctite 243, blue in colour for general fasteners on the bike. It's vibration tolerant and not permanent so can be loosened with hand tools. Now I see comments for some fasteners to use Red loctite, say for the triple sprocket bolt.
My question is, which red loctite you using, there are many. I know that red is a permanent loctite, but some can still be loosened with hand tools, bot some require heat to loosen them.
Which one do you use, loctite 222, or 270 or something else.
Jeff
Upnorthbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,588
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorthbiker View Post
Hi,
I use loctite 243, blue in colour for general fasteners on the bike. It's vibration tolerant and not permanent so can be loosened with hand tools. Now I see comments for some fasteners to use Red loctite, say for the triple sprocket bolt.
My question is, which red loctite you using, there are many. I know that red is a permanent loctite, but some can still be loosened with hand tools, bot some require heat to loosen them.
Which one do you use, loctite 222, or 270 or something else.
Jeff
I have red 262 or Permatex #26240 for heavy duty stuff. 270 is a bit overkill as well. In reality 243 is a good choice for the task and that's what I used. In either case thread must be clean and dry.
Red is often stated to be the choice but it's way beyond what's needed and while it can be broken free with heat, it's best left for permanent assemblies.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Upnorthbiker
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunderland, UK
Posts: 77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Ron, you have been answering all my questions.
I'm doing the triple sprocket bolt re torque at the moment and notice how old my red loctite is, expired 2012 ! Time goes fast on the shelf in the garage, but then again it's very rare I use red. Anyway, I want shopping and thought I purchased red but it's Loctite 2700, one of the newish ones. It's high strength and needs to be heated to 300c to loosen. It's green and the big thing on the tech sheets it's non harmful to us. Do you think it will be ok to use on my triple sprocket bolt or should I wait until I get some red 262.
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Jeff
Upnorthbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,588
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorthbiker View Post
Thanks Ron, you have been answering all my questions.
I'm doing the triple sprocket bolt re torque at the moment and notice how old my red loctite is, expired 2012 ! Time goes fast on the shelf in the garage, but then again it's very rare I use red. Anyway, I want shopping and thought I purchased red but it's Loctite 2700, one of the newish ones. It's high strength and needs to be heated to 300c to loosen. It's green and the big thing on the tech sheets it's non harmful to us. Do you think it will be ok to use on my triple sprocket bolt or should I wait until I get some red 262.
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Jeff
That reminds me more of a retaining compound like the old 680. Without heat the damn bolt will just about snap off . 2700 requires Dismantling only possible after heating to 250°C. That's like 482F.
I got this off the spec sheet.
Something a bit tamer would be a good idea.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Upnorthbiker
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunderland, UK
Posts: 77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi Ron, So you used 243 on your Triple sprocket, well if it's good enough for you. I will make sure everything is clean first.
Thanks again.
Take care,
Jeff
Upnorthbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,588
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorthbiker View Post
Hi Ron, So you used 243 on your Triple sprocket, well if it's good enough for you. I will make sure everything is clean first.
Thanks again.
Take care,
Jeff
Yes, I used 243. Not saying you can't use 262 red. I just didn't feel it needed that extreme retention. Correct torque should keep it in place and the loctite is additional insurance.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
2009 vrscf
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
On a side note, been using harbor freight brand blue and red Loctite for years and as far as I can tell, works just as good as the brand. Looks,smells and even tastes the same (don't ask me how I know it tastes the same, lol.)
2009 vrscf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,588
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 vrscf View Post
On a side note, been using harbor freight brand blue and red Loctite for years and as far as I can tell, works just as good as the brand. Looks,smells and even tastes the same (don't ask me how I know it tastes the same, lol.)
Permatex blue and red are a Loctite equivalent of 243 and 262 also. I understand the tasted thing also. Shit happens.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum