Switching ABS to Non-ABS brake system - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Kevin.choe1983
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Switching ABS to Non-ABS brake system

Bike: 2009 VROD-NightRod

I know many have switched from ABS to Non-ABS brake system for multiple reason. I'm heavily considering doing the same due to HCU failure and the dealership estimates $700.

Could someone provide list of parts they've used and guidance on the procedure?

Thanks in advance
Kevin.choe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
mikeinatlanta
The Massive Pr1ck

I believe you can simply eliminate the system by removing all parts and installing a set of standard brake lines from the masters to their respective calipers. You can get all parts needed to fabricate custom brake lines at Summit.
mikeinatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lines are a direct fit for swap from ABS to non ABS but a wire patch cord from top location of the brake switch to lower is needed.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Athena
Registered Full

Would love to add abs brakes, but was told not feasible.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Would love to add abs brakes, but was told not feasible.
Wouldn't want a HD ABS system on my bike!!
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
Wouldn't want a HD ABS system on my bike!!
No doubt it's not the best system regarding the small bearing encoder but at least once it's kept me upright and stopped. I also do the 2 year flushes and cycle the ABS module while doing the fluid swap.
Ron
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 AM   #7
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
No doubt it's not the best system regarding the small bearing encoder but at least once it's kept me upright and stopped. I also do the 2 year flushes and cycle the ABS module while doing the fluid swap.
Ron
Appreciate what you are saying Ron but for me any ABS system that is designed to default to no brakes on failure, which appears to be the case from my readings here, doesn't do it for me.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Appreciate what you are saying Ron but for me any ABS system that is designed to default to no brakes on failure, which appears to be the case from my readings here, doesn't do it for me.
Well yes, there is that pesky little problem too. Even though only one will fail, that can be bad enough if you need them. I guess the NHTSA doesn't care much about that fact either or they would have bitch slapped HD by now. HD got off easy with that stupid fluid flush recall, rather then having them replace units that were prone to corrosion. I suspect the HCU in later years, beyond the recall dates have plated valving to counter this and likely a different supplier and part numbers.
Ron
Old 09-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Quote:
Well yes, there is that pesky little problem too. Even though only one will fail, that can be bad enough if you need them. I guess the NHTSA doesn't care much about that fact either or they would have bitch slapped HD by now. HD got off easy with that stupid fluid flush recall, rather then having them replace units that were prone to corrosion. I suspect the HCU in later years, beyond the recall dates have plated valving to counter this and likely a different supplier and part numbers.
Ron
For sure!!
I reckon HD with all their misgivings must have some very influential friends in important places.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
For sure!!
I reckon HD with all their misgivings must have some very influential friends in important places.
One of them being the patent office. Don't ask me how I know.
Ron
Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
I`m not sure I understand this . If your ABS module fails you have no brakes ? I would have though just your ABS stops working . The brakes work like normal just no ABS function .
Topless
Avon tires
Progressive springs front
Progressive 444 rear
pfbmgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post
I`m not sure I understand this . If your ABS module fails you have no brakes ? I would have though just your ABS stops working . The brakes work like normal just no ABS function .
That's how a correct ABS system should work ( like everybody elses) but HD prefer a system that defaults to fail. Exactly as you say, when it fails you have no brakes on that half of the circuit. (front or rear)
To be clearer if the front unit fails you will only have a rear brake and vice versa.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post
That's how it should work but HD used a system where it wouldn't do that. The HCU has dual valving for front and rear operation so if one valve sticks fluid will not travel to the brake it supplies because the orfice is blocked. This shows up as a rock hard lever or peddle and no brake function. Either front or rear can fail but both would be rare. It really is a stupid system and should have been outlawed as soon as the flaw was discovered. It seems NHTSA don't have balls when it comes to HD. On any car or truck, that would be slapped down so fast it would make your head spin.
Ron
Old 09-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
pfbmgd
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
That's how it should work but HD used a system where it wouldn't do that. The HCU has dual valving for front and rear operation so if one valve sticks fluid will not travel to the brake it supplies because the orfice is blocked. This shows up as a rock hard lever or peddle and no brake function. Either front or rear can fail but both would be rare. It really is a stupid system and should have been outlawed as soon as the flaw was discovered. It seems NHTSA don't have balls when it comes to HD. On any car or truck, that would be slapped down so fast it would make your head spin.
Ron
Thanks for the information . I can`t believe this was allowed to be put into production . I also can`t believe the government has not had a recall .
Topless
Avon tires
Progressive springs front
Progressive 444 rear
pfbmgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
Cabeca de Ferro
Cabeca de Ferro

te=Kevin.choe1983;4724795]Bike: 2009 VROD-NightRod

I know many have switched from ABS to Non-ABS brake system for multiple reason. I'm heavily considering doing the same due to HCU failure and the dealership estimates $700.

Could someone provide list of parts they've used and guidance on the procedure?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

In fact, you do not even need to change the brake lines, if you install a nipple to join the cables will solve the problem more quickly. You can leave the entire electronic system connected so that it will not acknowledge any error code, since it will understand that the bike is not being braked and will not trigger the system.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_100411[1].jpg
Views:	86
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	529697

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_100428[1].jpg
Views:	83
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	529699

Click image for larger version

Name:	brake nipple.jpg
Views:	59