Possible fix for older fuel gauges. - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #46
hdmagic1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't waste your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rti5fs View Post
This is a great post that makes a lot of sense. Have you considered sending this to Harley? They may be unaware of how the parts work that they purchase to put into thier bikes.
Harley designed the part and showing them a good fix rather than them being able to sell you a whole new sending unit is not in their game plan. They stopped listening to customers and employees regarding issues like this right after the 100th. They'd already made their money.

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY AND IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER, TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING “HOLY SHIT.... WHAT A RIDE!"
hdmagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #47
vbtruk
Registered Full

Well i can confidently say that the gauge seems to be good as gold, i believe that the issue of the prongs not making good contact with the strip is the issue as it needs little resistance to be able to slide up and sown, i have been on the bike everyday since the fix and gone through 4 tanks and from barely reading the fuel level at all to now reading consistantly at all the levels i am happy with the results. it might just mean that the float needs to be disasembled and the prongs tweaked every so often .
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #48
Bluespoke

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This might be a dumb question, but ihave disconected the plug off the fuel guage sender, but I cant work out how to get the dam thing out. Help please......
Bluespoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #49
Hal64hd
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Unscrew The Retaining Ring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hal64hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #50
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoke View Post
This might be a dumb question, but ihave disconected the plug off the fuel guage sender, but I cant work out how to get the dam thing out. Help please......
Read the instructions for the Fuel Cap Remover/Installer in the attached pdf file. You will get the idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf -J02135.pdf (106.5 KB, 722 views)

Don't be scared. We haven't lost tradition...... we've gained technology!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 VRSCA
Two-tone Smokey Gold with Vivid Black
SE 16G Double Barrel Exhaust
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #51
tripleted
Registered Full

Yup, that a pretty dumb question. Take it to the dealer if you can't follow the simple instructions.
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno [email protected] RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #52
Bluespoke

Thanx for the input. I wasnt sure if the sender came thru the top on its own, or the whole top had to be unscrewed, as the retainer wouldn,t budge.
Bluespoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #53
bassman76542
Registered Full

My 07DX is currently on its third fuel guage, luckily both replacements came under warranty. My guage is still somewhat irratic for the last 1/4 tank, it is accurate enough I havent been stuck anywhere with an empty tank, yet.
bassman76542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #54
Olds13
Premium Member

I never got accurate fuel level readings, but my gauge is consistant(ly wrong!) showing me empty at 1/2 tank (refill at about 1.9 ~ 2.1 gal). I tried Seafoam and it made slight changes to my engine, it didn't help my fuel gauge. I'm beginning to think that the damn thing was designed by a frustrated fisherman!
Olds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #55
roadrkt
Registered Full

08 NRS same problem

I have a 2008 NRS and my fuel gauge hasn't worked right since about the fourth tank of gas. I had it fixed under warranty and that lasted until a week after warranty ran out. I don't even bother looking at it anymore, just been using the trip meter. I called and was treated like I was stupid b/c this is a known issue with earlier model years. It is a known issue on my bike, which is the only one that matters to me. Is my fuel gauge the same as the one on earlier models? I haven't taken it apart yet, just asking before leaping.

p.s. Seafoam has worked great in all my stuff. gas engines 2/4 stroke, diesel, lawnmower, atv, tractor, truck, corvette, motorcycle all with no problems. This is the first fix I try when I have a fuel problem.

Last edited by roadrkt; 09-30-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: p.s.
roadrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #56
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrkt View Post
...Is my fuel gauge the same as the one on earlier models? I haven't taken it apart yet, just asking before leaping.

p.s. Seafoam has worked great in all my stuff. gas engines 2/4 stroke, diesel, lawnmower, atv, tractor, truck, corvette, motorcycle all with no problems. This is the first fix I try when I have a fuel problem.
No.

The 2007 and newer VRSC models have “non-contact” ultrasonic fuel level sending units. These have a different (and well documented) problem. Here's a few other threads that discuss it:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4

I don’t think “Seafoam” or any other cleaner will make any difference on your ultrasonic sending unit since there’s nothing to clean.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #57
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
HD recently released a new fuel sending unit for the sonar bikes

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #58
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

I just installed a Rick's tank in my '04 and noticed alot of deposits on the resistive strip in the fuel sending unit. It was a dark brown film. I have only had 4 or 5 instances in which my bike showed empty when I knew it had fuel, happened at startup and the needle slowly rose to the correct reading. I cleaned the resistive element with carb/injector cleaner, real easy, I have a pic of the dirty vs clean resistive element and will post it later.

2004 VRSCA
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #59
sammy
# 12/50 Ignite LE

Here is a pic of the deposits I found on the resistive strip, left side is the way I found it and the right side after being cleaned. Used carb/choke cleaner, spray on and the residue wipes of real easy onto a clean rag, DO NOT use anything abrasive to clean this. When the resistive strip is clean, then shoot cleaner down the float where it rides up and down against the resistive strip, you can't get a rag in there to wipe so just move the float up and down to clean.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.JPG
Views:	1416
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	158533  

2004 VRSCA
SE Airfilter
97% Pure Harley Davidson
Old 02-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #60
Mikey1130
Registered Full

Tnx sammy worked great for me....my gauge did read empty all the time, pulled out the whole sending/pump unit

disconnected/unscrewed the resistive strip and cleaned it with carb.cleaner, brakecleaner and a very fine sanding paper ( very soft rubbing with that).

gauge now reads good, hope it will do that for al long time
Mikey1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement