5 quarts and dip stick says not enough? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
JoeCam
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5 quarts and dip stick says not enough?

So I did an oil change (and filter) after replacing my triple sprocket bolt. Problem is I added 5 quarts of oil and the dip stick doesn't show full crankcase. I checked the oil with the bike on level ground, not sitting on seat, vertically upright, and engine hot. Absolutely no leaks anywhere.

The oil is midway in the crossmarks on the stick. 5 quarts should have filled it according to the manual and forums. Thoughts?
JoeCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCam View Post
So I did an oil change (and filter) after replacing my triple sprocket bolt. Problem is I added 5 quarts of oil and the dip stick doesn't show full crankcase. I checked the oil with the bike on level ground, not sitting on seat, vertically upright, and engine hot. Absolutely no leaks anywhere.

The oil is midway in the crossmarks on the stick. 5 quarts should have filled it according to the manual and forums. Thoughts?
Can't help you. In all the time I've owned my bike, I've never checked it per manual. Got a fresh oil change cold setting on the stick, on the stand per the 5 quart fill. You are using quarts and not liters, right?
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
KeystoneMedical
Registered Full

If memory serves, per the owners manual, mid way on the cross hatch is full for a cold oil check. I always check mine sitting on the bike cold.
KeystoneMedical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:

Probably a daft question, but it is the original dipstick and not one of these strange aftermarket things?
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
JoeCam
Registered Full

^^^
-Definitely 5 quarts added
-appears to be original dipstick

Just thought of something - when i did the triple sprocket bolt i drained the oil and left it open to drain for over 24 hrs (couldnt finish the job that day). is it possible that the drain open for that long drained and extra .5 quart rather than the "usual", drain and put the plug back in and fill?
JoeCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
^^^
-Definitely 5 quarts added
-appears to be original dipstick

Just thought of something - when i did the triple sprocket bolt i drained the oil and left it open to drain for over 24 hrs (couldnt finish the job that day). is it possible that the drain open for that long drained and extra .5 quart rather than the "usual", drain and put the plug back in and fill?
Can't really see that making any difference unless the oil cooler drained itself but not sure how.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If the oil is cold it will show 1/2 way between full and add mark. Once oil is warmed to operating temp it will show at the full mark.
Run bike for 20 miles or so (or 10? minutes at idle) to let it get good and warm.
Shut down and let it set for 5 minutes (Drainage).
Mount bike, stand it up.
Reach down and pull dip stick.
Clean it off.
Reinstall dipstick and remove it.
Check fluid level. It should be at full mark.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Dydameo
Registered Full

You are screwing the dipstick all the way in and then checking it, right? I know that’s goofy, but that’s the way Harley does it. Got 3 Honda 4 wheelers, 2 riding mowers, and a push mower. All of these state on the dipstick to NOT screw it in to check oil level. Just stick it in and pull it back out. My V Rod is the only one that requires screwing all the way in to check. Inconvenient.
Dydameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The next time you change your oil, check its level with the dip stick screwed all the way in. It should read full.
Next check it with the dip stick NOT screwed in and check its level on the dip stick. Just remember this level or mark your dip stick for future reference.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement