New coils test worse than old ones - sigh - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #31
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr204 View Post
Philthy.......

I have almost exactly the same issue as you have described. A "miss" or Pop, but only occasionally, just as you stated. I too have checked brand new coils against the ESM values. On the low resistance side, I am .1 ohm over the max. On high resistance side I am about half what book says. I have checked 4 coils so far, mine, and 2 brand new ones. I refused to take the new ones, as I checked them right at parts counter, and showed the specs to parts guy. As of this moment in time I am awaiting the arrival of 2 other new coils. I asked a friend to check his, as his bike runs well. His low resistance side was within spec, but the high was same as mine. So, long story short.......... Please share what you found as to correct values, or, more importantly, did you fix it, and if so, how. Please, help a guy out!!!!!!!!! LOL
The current ignition coils (P/N 32477-01A) have the following resistance specs:
ion sense resistance: (Terminals A & B) >100K Ω
primary resistance: (Terminals B & C) 0.3 to 0.5 Ω
secondary resistance: (Terminal A & spark plug connector) 1700 Ω ± ?Ω
The Harley service manuals (even the latest versions) list the specs for the earlier ignition coils (P/N 32477-01) where the first two values are the same but a secondary resistance value of 4000 Ω ± 500 Ω is shown. I'm not sure what the secondary resistance tolerance value is for the current coils but it's likely ± 200 Ω.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #32
johnr204
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steve
Thank you very much!!!!!!!
While this does not solve my "pop" it enables me to properly determine that the coils are not the culprit. At least 4 weeks of my life i wont get back.........LOL
johnr204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #33
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
The current ignition coils (P/N 32477-01A) have the following resistance specs:
ion sense resistance: (Terminals A & B) >100K Ω
primary resistance: (Terminals B & C) 0.3 to 0.5 Ω
secondary resistance: (Terminal A & spark plug connector) 1700 Ω ± ?Ω
The Harley service manuals (even the latest versions) list the specs for the earlier ignition coils (P/N 32477-01) where the first two values are the same but a secondary resistance value of 4000 Ω ± 500 Ω is shown. I'm not sure what the secondary resistance tolerance value is for the current coils but it's likely ± 200 Ω.
I'd give it a bit more, maybe. Recently tested mine with all the confusion John was having with late model values. Taking the error factor out of the VOM, 1.2k on one and .2 on another meter, mine came in at 1755 ohms. Primary and Ion ohms the same as the older coil specs. To me 17-18k secondary, would seem to be about the ballpark. It's good to have this once and for all documented and keep people from buying coils only to find the new ones don't spec out to the non updated EM specs. Wonder how many have been screwed over by the dealers that are unaware also, using outdated resistance specs?
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #34
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
I'd give it a bit more, maybe. Recently tested mine with all the confusion John was having with late model values. Taking the error factor out of the VOM, 1.2k on one and .2 on another meter, mine came in at 1755 ohms. Primary and Ion ohms the same as the older coil specs. To me 17-18k secondary, would seem to be about the ballpark. It's good to have this once and for all documented and keep people from buying coils only to find the new ones don't spec out to the non updated EM specs. Wonder how many have been screwed over by the dealers that are unaware also, using outdated resistance specs?
Ron
What do you mean by "give it a bit more"?

1700 Ω ± 200 Ω would give a range of 1500 to 1900 Ω. This is proportional to the range and tolerance of the older coils that are spec at 4000 Ω ± 500 Ω. Your proposed range of 1700 to 1800 Ω would mean 1750 Ω ± 50 Ω. That's a smaller tolerance. I can't argue with either value since I don't have any of the newer coils to test or enough measured values to determine range.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #35
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
What do you mean by "give it a bit more"?

1700 Ω ± 200 Ω would give a range of 1500 to 1900 Ω. This is proportional to the range and tolerance of the older coils that are spec at 4000 Ω ± 500 Ω. Your proposed range of 1700 to 1800 Ω would mean 1750 Ω ± 50 Ω. That's a smaller tolerance. I can't argue with either value since I don't have any of the newer coils to test or enough measured values to determine range.
I have no way to prove anything either other then the book is wrong regarding late model coils. I can live with a proposed +/-200.
Ron
Old 09-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #36
johnr204
Registered Full

My dealer just called. The 2bd set of new ones are in. I told him what the HD "help" line told me about the updated values. They "will not give them to a customer but take the bike to the dealer and have them fix it". So i also told parts guy to ask his service manager to call the "dealer only tech line" and get the updated values. Otherwise, when i come to pick up the coils, i will be using the old values, and ill be sending back my second set of coils, and i will keep doing this until they can prove to me (hopefully in writing) what the new "good" values are. Im pissed now, and its personal. Ron has been a tremendous resourse and to some extent inspiration for me. He gave me the values steve did a couple days previous, so its good to have that confirmed. WE, collectively, and in some cases individually have paid the motor co. For a service manual, ASSUMING the information inside was correct. It is obviously not, and in my case, they said they cannot give me the correct values. At which point i corrected him. It is not that you cannot, as i am certain the motor company HAS the info, its just he WILL NOT give it to me. He reluctantly agreed. And then he told me to go to my dealer and have THEM fix MY bike. No way, no way in hell...... it will rot in a corner first.
Anyhow, if i get this info confirmed, ill let you know. Wish me luck
Old 09-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #37
johnr204
Registered Full

Ok. Here it goes........
Went to dealer to check 2nd set of coils. He had called tech line, who gave the values mentioned above, then told the parts manager to look on p. 6-57 of 2017 service manual. Its all there. In black and white. All values.................
I have a 2015 service manual, and it dosent HAVE a page 6-57....... Gggggggrrrrrrrrr
Anyhow the values are: coil primary resistance- measured between B&C .3 to .5 ohms. Coil secondary resistance between terminal A and plug end- 1700 to 2000 ohms. Ion sense resistance- must be greater than 100,000 ohms, measured between terminal A and B
Hope this helps............
Wasted 4 weeks of my life on this........
Old 09-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #38
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr204 View Post
Ok. Here it goes........
Went to dealer to check 2nd set of coils. He had called tech line, who gave the values mentioned above, then told the parts manager to look on p. 6-57 of 2017 service manual. Its all there. In black and white. All values.................
I have a 2015 service manual, and it dosent HAVE a page 6-57....... Gggggggrrrrrrrrr
Anyhow the values are: coil primary resistance- measured between B&C .3 to .5 ohms. Coil secondary resistance between terminal A and plug end- 1700 to 2000 ohms. Ion sense resistance- must be greater than 100,000 ohms, measured between terminal A and B
Hope this helps............
Wasted 4 weeks of my life on this........
Glad that's all sorted out once and for all. We thank you for the updated specs.
Ron
Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #39
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks for sharing Johnr
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds