WARNING!!! Failure Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008 - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #46
vrscdxruss

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great post, also consider that heat kill's brake fluid. system should be flushed at closer intervals. especially if a lot of slow in town riding, without much natural air cooling of the brake line.
vrscdxruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #47
bassman76542
Registered Full

I had the rear brakes fail on my 07 Night Rod, my problem was a faulty brake lite sensor, In 24K miles I have had to replace it twice, the first time hydraulic fluid was leaking through the sensor causing the brakes not to work, the second time I had to replace it it was not leaking, but discontinued triggering the brake lite when applied.
bassman76542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #48
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
common failure. There is an aftermarket direct replacement that is "beefier". The manufacturer of the part suggests coating the exposed threads with RTV or such to help reduce the amount of moisture being absorbed through there which they believe is the reason for the high rate of failures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #49
vrod-holland
vrod-holland

welcome to the forum
vrod-holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #50
fastvrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
had same problem. melt all the wire shorted out everything. reinstalled with head resistant tape. that fixed the problem. all the rear brakes are right by the pipe.
fastvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #51
Gerryg

2008 Night Rod Rear Brake Failure

This seems to be a serious issue. I have a 2008 Night Rod Special 6,000 miles when the rear brake failed - cause was rear brake light switch electrical terminals melted and leaked all of the brake fluid, there is only minimal cleareance between the switch and exposed exhaust maybe 3/8". Turned complaint in to HD with no credible action. Also checked on car-safety.com, they also have multiple cases of this occurance.....This is serious someone is going to be hurt and HD, so far, doesn't seem to care? Any suggestions
Gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #52
bassman76542
Registered Full

Unless someone is rich, just have to wait for someone to get hurt or killed. I recently had to put a third brake light switch on my DX (30k miles), this time I built a heat shield to keep the exaust heat off of the switch. I'll let you know if It melts for the fourth time.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #53
Gerryg

I also put a reflective heat wrap around my switch as well. It is unbelievable that everyone that I've spoke with at HD has done nothing about this and worse - they don't seem to care about this serious problem.........looks like it will take a serious incident before they take start to care.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #54
Philthy
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod View Post
Be safe about the rear brakes on any Harley and NEVER trust them!

Elrod on the V-Rod
Don't rely on a rear brake on any bike, period. 75% or more of your braking power is in the front brakes. Rely on these.
The rear brake is useful for negotiating a slope at low speed on a dirt road where you don't want to risk skidding the front tire and crashing, and to set the chassis attitude for a fast corner (trail braking) but no rear brake has any stopping power.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #55
bassman76542
Registered Full

I ride the piss out of my bike, rear brakes are approximately 33% of your stopping power, I need every bit of my stopping power when some dip shit on a cell phone cuts me off. I use both brakes 90% of the time. If you take basic and advanced MSF courses you will realise how important it is to use both.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #56
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman76542 View Post
I ride the piss out of my bike, rear brakes are approximately 33% of your stopping power, I need every bit of my stopping power when some dip shit on a cell phone cuts me off. I use both brakes 90% of the time. If you take basic and advanced MSF courses you will realise how important it is to use both.
Hey,there's an idea.let's send the engineers at Harley to a basic MCSC so they can learn the importance of stopping with the brakes on a Harley.
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #57
bassman76542
Registered Full

ESPECIALLY A V-ROD!!!! They figured out how to put good brakes that dont crap out on my Sportster, problem is sportster isn't 1/5 of the bike that my DX is!! Maby after 50+ years of producing V-rods they will install some reliable brakes.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #58
Gerryg

The point here, Pilthy, is not how to use your front brake the point is HD needs to design a braking system that works. To put the brake light switch 1/2" from the exhaust is bad engineering. HD knows this as the new Vrods have been redesigned, they have just chosen not to support those of us who purchased their bad design. Some unfortunate rider and his fortunate attroney might help set them straight.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #59
bassman76542
Registered Full

They also put the clutch line extremely close to the exaust. After the first one melted I ran the new one under the seat and up the left side of the air box, nowhere near the exaust. It was also made out of different material, maby mine wasnt the first to melt.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #60
Gerryg

bassman - Have you contacted HD about your issues. I'm thinking about getting a class action going aginst them - what they are doing is wrong and it is serious. I hope someone at HD with authority looks into this issue. If not anyone interested in possibly participating in a class action against HD, let me know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement