fxdr vs 14 night rod? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-27-2019, 02:46 AM   #1
kmaster60
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fxdr vs 14 night rod?

I know that the specs are pretty far apart on these 2 bikes. But since this bike is suppose to be their new "power cruiser" does anyone have any input on how they stack up? Stock vs stock? Or perhaps the fxdr vs breakout vs vrod?
kmaster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 AM   #2
Hudson
Registered Full

Best thing to do is take them for a test ride, one after the other if you can, so you get a good comparison on how they feel to you.

Personally I wouldn't even put those other two in the same category with a V-Rod.

I test rode a Breakout once. Worst bike I've ever ridden. Couldn't wait to get off it.

Honestly the Breakout experience nearly dissuaded me from looking at a Rod. I thought the p!ss poor handling was due to the 240 rear tyre on the Breakout.
So glad I took a Night Rod Special for a test flight when my old Softtail was in for a service. Because it showed me it wasn't the fat tyre but a poorly designed (for handling) bike. Although I admit the breakouts do look good sitting still.

Less than 12 months later I purchased my VRSCF and have never regretted it.
I highly doubt I'll ever sell it either.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Von Halen
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My buddy test rode the newest Breakout with the 114. He previously had a 2017 Breakout with the 103 that he lost in a major crash. I rode next to him on my stock 06 VRSCA. We stopped to turn around to head back to the Dealership and he was going on and on about how much more power it felt like the 114 had over his previous 103. So, I asked him if he wanted to give it a go and he said yes. My VROD ate that bikes lunch. He's not very practical and gets caught up in Harley's marketing, and ended up wasting his money on a CVO 117 Street Glide to the tune of $45k. A few months in he is having major buyers remorse, but is now stuck with that thing as he can't come close to getting his money out of it. I rode his 2017 Breakout and I really liked it. But I'd never choose one over a VROD. Ever.
Von Halen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Mromaus
Registered Full

I would be very curious to see the comparison of the FXDR to a VSRC.

It looks like they tried to bring the Vrod back but in much different packaging. I am pretty sure that the motors are very different.
Mromaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Dubhai
Registered Full

Garage
I test road the new fxdr, ( I own a 2017 night rod special stage 1 V&H), It does have more torque than my night rod.
Dubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
kmaster60
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubhai View Post
I test road the new fxdr, ( I own a 2017 night rod special stage 1 V&H), It does have more torque than my night rod.
Is it noticeable? I guess I'll have to go try one out
kmaster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
Kytann
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Best thing to do is take them for a test ride, one after the other if you can, so you get a good comparison on how they feel to you.

Personally I wouldn't even put those other two in the same category with a V-Rod.

I test rode a Breakout once. Worst bike I've ever ridden. Couldn't wait to get off it.

Honestly the Breakout experience nearly dissuaded me from looking at a Rod. I thought the p!ss poor handling was due to the 240 rear tyre on the Breakout.
So glad I took a Night Rod Special for a test flight when my old Softtail was in for a service. Because it showed me it wasn't the fat tyre but a poorly designed (for handling) bike. Although I admit the breakouts do look good sitting still.

Less than 12 months later I purchased my VRSCF and have never regretted it.
I highly doubt I'll ever sell it either.
To be fair, due to the timing, it sounds like you test rode the previous generation.
Current Gen is a different motor and a different chassis. It's probably alot different.
The old softail chassis was pretty floppy. The new one in the Fat Bob at least, is very stout and comparable to my Dyna Fat Bob.
I gotta schedule a test ride on an FXDR soon.

Point is, if you were comparing a previous gen to the V-Rod, it's not valid information for someone looking at V-Rod vs FXDR (Current Gen)
Kytann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
Cabeca de Ferro
Cabeca de Ferro

In fact the geometry of the two bikes are very similar. The big difference lies in the agility of the FXDR due to the difference in the trail. It changes direction more easily than the v-rod, however the engine, despite having a monstrous torque (119 ft / lbs) is not comparable to the revolution, ending its breath at 5200 rpm where the v-rod is starting. It produces only 82 hp at the rear wheel, versus the 108 hp (83.3 ft / lbs of torque) of the v-rod.It did not bring me that ear-to-ear smile that v-rod still gives me.First colunm FXDR ,SECOND COLUNM VRSCDX
Weight........668............666
Seat height..27.7...........25.6
Lenght..........95.1..........96.1
Ground
Clearence.....5.3............4.5
Rake..............34............34
Trail..............4.7...........5.6
Wheel base..68.4.........67
Lean angle....32.6.........32
Cabeca de Ferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #9
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabeca de Ferro View Post
In fact the geometry of the two bikes are very similar. The big difference lies in the agility of the FXDR due to the difference in the trail. It changes direction more easily than the v-rod, however the engine, despite having a monstrous torque (119 ft / lbs) is not comparable to the revolution, ending its breath at 5200 rpm where the v-rod is starting. It produces only 82 hp at the rear wheel, versus the 108 hp (83.3 ft / lbs of torque) of the v-rod.It did not bring me that ear-to-ear smile that v-rod still gives me.First colunm FXDR ,SECOND COLUNM VRSCDX
Weight........668............666
Seat height..27.7...........25.6
Lenght..........95.1..........96.1
Ground
Clearence.....5.3............4.5
Rake..............34............34
Trail..............4.7...........5.6
Wheel base..68.4.........67
Lean angle....32.6.........32
That's a great comparison. Thank you. I LOVE my 13NRS, but have to admit, I keep looking at the FXDRs. That and the new Fat Bobs. But I'd never get rid of my NRS, unless I was replacing it with another NRS.
Mr. Orange 645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #10
stsouldier
Registered Full

Fxdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaster60 View Post
Is it noticeable? I guess I'll have to go try one out
I test drove an FXDR yesterday. It has a lot more torque in the lower RPM range. Really nice 114 motor but it taps out around 5000 RPM. IT was kinda similar to riding a Suzuki M109R. Looks really nice but that VROD motor is special guys. I wouldn't replace it with a FXDR
stsouldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
KeystoneMedical
Registered Full

The FXDR is somewhat appealing to me, if the price was a little more reasonable, Id consider one. I guess Im too much of a performance guy to spend 20ish on the FXDR when I can pay a similar amount for the Diavel and get twice the performance. But, come to think of it, Ill just stick with my 04 "B " model for a while and wait for the bottom to fallout of the resale on the newer year Muscles and pick one of those up.
KeystoneMedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement