Security System pocket card - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Some questions for SteveandMollie.
Does the bike run at all?
Does it have an audible alarm associated with it?
if the bike will start, Move the FOB a good distance away from the bike, like 15 feet or greater. Try to start it.
What happened? did it start or no? It shouldn't if the security system is working.

When you shut the bike off the security system will automatically activate. The turn signals should blink a couple of times. If you have the audible alarm it should beep at you.

RUN to your H-D dealer and purchase a Owners manual for your year and model. It will explain how the security system works and how to set PIN numbers etc. The process is rather involved so someone bent on stealing your bike from the Wal-Mart parking lot can not remove and replace the security parts easily

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

I forgot to mention, Once you get this issue resolved make sure you set your own personal PIN in case you ever lose your FOB or it stops working for some reason. It's is possible to start the bike without the FOB present if you have a valid PIN.

If you lose your FOB and do not have a PIN set then you will have to purchase a whole new security system. It is not possible to recover from a lost FOB and no PIN.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
02rodman
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have started my bike with my fob 25' away in a drawer in my kitchen, thought it was strange that it started hmmm what a security system.
02rodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rodman View Post
I have started my bike with my fob 25' away in a drawer in my kitchen, thought it was strange that it started hmmm what a security system.
02 & few years after that {06}, DO NOT have the proximity/passive arm system the later year bikes have.

My 04 V has the fob that requires me to push the button to ARM, then two pushes to disarm, OTOH my 07-Ultra simply arms 2-3 seconds after ignition off, then if I move more than 25 away from the bike it goes into FULL ARM, any disturbance w/o my presence makes the alarm & lights freak.
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds

Last edited by TaxmanHog; 12-27-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Post 11 covers when things changed
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #20
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
If you have a FOB with a button then this is possible. A Buttonless FOB should disable the bikes electronics and enable the alarm if you walk away from the bike with it.
The security system with a Button FOB needs to be activated by pushing the button.

What year is your bike?

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
SteveandMollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
if the bike will start, Move the FOB a good distance away from the bike, like 15 feet or greater. Try to start it.
What happened? did it start or no? It shouldn't if the security system is working.

When you shut the bike off the security system will automatically activate. The turn signals should blink a couple of times. If you have the audible alarm it should beep at you.

RUN to your H-D dealer and purchase a Owners manual for your year and model. It will explain how the security system works and how to set PIN numbers etc. The process is rather involved so someone bent on stealing your bike from the Wal-Mart parking lot can not remove and replace the security parts easily
Thanks RustyG. I actually bought the bike from a guy in Orlando and friends of mine were at Biketoberfest so they brought it home for me to Ontario , Canada. The bike started and ran no problem then but it's been sitting for a while because of our lovely weather up here and when I went to start it it the signals flash constantly and nothng happens when I press the 'Start' button. It didn't make a difference if the FOB was beside the bike in my pocket. or on the air box or 50' away in the house. There is no audible alarm on it that I know of. The signals flash about 15 tmes before they stop. Is there a chance the battery in the FOB is dead or dying? There is only 250 miles on the bike.
SteveandMollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #22
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandMollie View Post
Thanks RustyG. I actually bought the bike from a guy in Orlando and friends of mine were at Biketoberfest so they brought it home for me to Ontario , Canada. The bike started and ran no problem then but it's been sitting for a while because of our lovely weather up here and when I went to start it it the signals flash constantly and nothng happens when I press the 'Start' button. It didn't make a difference if the FOB was beside the bike in my pocket. or on the air box or 50' away in the house. There is no audible alarm on it that I know of. The signals flash about 15 tmes before they stop. Is there a chance the battery in the FOB is dead or dying? There is only 250 miles on the bike.
If the bike has been sitting for more than a couple of weeks I would suspect a dying/dead battery. Put a charger on it over night.
The signal flashing 15 times probably is the security system telling you someone is tampering with the bike. I have never experienced a FOB battery failure but may be worth changing.
Since you rode it before storing it that means the security system was working at one time and the FOB was operational.

Do you hear a clicking sound when you try to start it? This would indicate a possible weak battery or loose connections to the battery/solenoid.

What year and model is the bike?

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #23
02rodman
Registered Full

Ok it makes i get it now btw mine is an 02 so it has to be manually armed and disarmed. I do not have the manually so i have a stupid question. If i arm it will the bike start?
02rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #24
SteveandMollie

Quote:
If the bike has been sitting for more than a couple of weeks I would suspect a dying/dead battery. Put a charger on it over night.
The signal flashing 15 times probably is the security system telling you someone is tampering with the bike. I have never experienced a FOB battery failure but may be worth changing.
Since you rode it before storing it that means the security system was working at one time and the FOB was operational.

Do you hear a clicking sound when you try to start it? This would indicate a possible weak battery or loose connections to the battery/solenoid.

What year and model is the bike?
Hi again
The battery voltage is at 11.49 volts and the bike has been in a heated garage since we got it. I have a battery tender ordered that I hope to have by this Wednesday so I'm going to get that put on and I'll put a new battery in the FOB. There was no clicking sounds like the starter trying to engage when we tried to start it. I'll try the new battery in the FOB and give the battery tender a couple of days to re-charge the batttey if needed and go from there. This bike's a little more high tech than my '84 FLH Shovelhead. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Oh yeah, this is a 2007 VSRCAW, Pacific blue pearl with 281 miles on it. I'm in the process of putting Kuryakyn Gran Throw-over bags using stainless steel tubing for the supports and Custom Dynamics rear LED signals on it but I want to get the security system sorted out first. Thanks again. Steve
Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

11.49V should be enough to at least click the start solenoid when the start button is pushed.

Question. With the FOB close at hand shake the bike vigorously or at least make like you are going to steal it. If the lights flash more than several times then the Security system is armed and not recognizing the FOB. What were the results of this test?

Are you sure you have the right FOB? Did you start the bike after you left the sellers location? Could be he gave you the wrong FOB but the correct one was nearby when you rode off.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Ok it makes i get it now btw mine is an 02 so it has to be manually armed and disarmed. I do not have the manually so i have a stupid question. If i arm it will the bike start?
The bike will not start with the security system armed. Double click the FOB button to disengage the security system.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #27
SteveandMollie

Quote:
11.49V should be enough to at least click the start solenoid when the start button is pushed.

Question. With the FOB close at hand shake the bike vigorously or at least make like you are going to steal it. If the lights flash more than several times then the Security system is armed and not recognizing the FOB. What were the results of this test?

Are you sure you have the right FOB? Did you start the bike after you left the sellers location? Could be he gave you the wrong FOB but the correct one was nearby when you rode off.
Hi again
When we got the bike home back in October we did take it for a short ride(we had no licence, insurance or any paperwork done to get the title changed but it was a nice Sunday afternoon ) so the FOB was working then and must be the correct one. I tried shaking the bike with the FOB nearby and the lights flashed only once unless I shook it more and then they'd flash once more. I took the FOB back into the house(@30ft behind 2 closed doors) and shook the bike and had the same results as when the FOB was with me. I put the battery on the charger before I left for work this morning and it made no difference either. My wife is going to be near our closest HD Dealer tomorrow so she's going to get a new battery for the FOB and we'll see what happens then. Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandMollie View Post
Hi again
When we got the bike home back in October we did take it for a short ride(we had no licence, insurance or any paperwork done to get the title changed but it was a nice Sunday afternoon ) so the FOB was working then and must be the correct one. I tried shaking the bike with the FOB nearby and the lights flashed only once unless I shook it more and then they'd flash once more. I took the FOB back into the house(@30ft behind 2 closed doors) and shook the bike and had the same results as when the FOB was with me. I put the battery on the charger before I left for work this morning and it made no difference either. My wife is going to be near our closest HD Dealer tomorrow so she's going to get a new battery for the FOB and we'll see what happens then. Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Does sound like your FOB isn't working. Go to Radio Shack or wherever you get batteries for watches etc for the battery not your H-D dealer. You will save a bunch of money. Battery type is CR 2032. It's about the size of a nickel (USD).

I have a audible alarm on my bike. If the FOB is not present and I get on the bike and straighten it up I will get one beep. If I persist it will wail like a stuck pig. The security system w/o a audible alarm works similarly but uses the turn signals. First disturbance a single light flicker. Continued disturbance then many flashes. So it sounds like your security system is working.

PS. Once you get it working get an audible alarm. It's simple plug and play. Take off the passenger pillion, locate the appropriate connector and plug it in. That is it. This thing is LOUD and will scare off any casual bike interlopers.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
RAZ
Fear The Reaper

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've had this happen to me with my FOB. I too have an 07 AW and the batteries in the FOB's can be great one day and crap on you the next. Once I replaced the battery, all was good in the world.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #30
SteveandMollie

Quote:

Hi again . We got a new battery for the FOB and that cured our security system problem. That was a lot of worrying and thinking for an $7 battery. We got a Sony CR2032 Lithium 3V if anyone's looking for a part number for them. Thanks again everyone for all the help and advice, it was really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement