3k-4200rpm misfire/hesitation help - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
logantsi
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3k-4200rpm misfire/hesitation help

Hey all. Iím hoping somebody with more vrod knowledge and experience can point me in the right direction here. The bike is an 09 NRS with 4,129mi on it. Mods are a K&N(top on), DanMoto highwayman 2-1, cobra fi2000 powrpro and just put in fresh 10r12a plugs Gapped at .35. When I took the old ones out they were 6r12ís....

Anyway at higher rpm, 5k and up, it feels and pulls hard and clean..every gear. But it has a nasty hesitation/misfire/surge if I twist full throttle low rpm 4200/4500 or below. Lowest Iíve tried from is around 2500 rpm but it isnít gear dependent. It happens all the time and maybe itís in my head but it felt like it was worse the other morning when it was cooler out but that was also on the old plugs.

Any thoughts? Iíd like to get it dialed in for smooth drivability over max power. I like it howís it Iím just trying to iron out the wrinkles ya know?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help!
logantsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,427
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantsi View Post
Hey all. Iím hoping somebody with more vrod knowledge and experience can point me in the right direction here. The bike is an 09 NRS with 4,129mi on it. Mods are a K&N(top on), DanMoto highwayman 2-1, cobra fi2000 powrpro and just put in fresh 10r12a plugs Gapped at .35. When I took the old ones out they were 6r12ís....

Anyway at higher rpm, 5k and up, it feels and pulls hard and clean..every gear. But it has a nasty hesitation/misfire/surge if I twist full throttle low rpm 4200/4500 or below. Lowest Iíve tried from is around 2500 rpm but it isnít gear dependent. It happens all the time and maybe itís in my head but it felt like it was worse the other morning when it was cooler out but that was also on the old plugs.

Any thoughts? Iíd like to get it dialed in for smooth drivability over max power. I like it howís it Iím just trying to iron out the wrinkles ya know?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help!
If that tuner allows (area) fueling adjustments, try adding 5% to that effected areas only. If worse, put it back to where it was and reduce by 5%. This will help determine if it's rich or lean and the direction to take by observing improvement in the changes. It's a guessing game without actual data to view. One area might need to be leaned, the other richer or visa versa. Try one way then the other first and see.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
logantsi
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THe powrpro is an auto tuner so thereís not much I can or should adjust. Iíve heard/read that there is a pot screw inside that will richen or lean out closed loop running conditions but itís still set at its base setting. I figured since the issue seems to only present itself under load/WOT....the pot adjustments wouldnít matter.

I was wondering if maybe itís an issue of the HD base map in the ecu not transitioning well into wot and the autotuner taking over?

Basically I was wondering if the ecu needs to be re-flashed due to the K&N filter and danmoto 2-1. Itís pipes off the head are considerably bigger then the stock pipes. And perhaps one of their stage 1/2/3 etc flashes would help. But again I figured id ask the professionals here first since as I understand from reading here that the dealerships may know even less then me about vrods lol
logantsi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,427
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantsi View Post
THe powrpro is an auto tuner so thereís not much I can or should adjust. Iíve heard/read that there is a pot screw inside that will richen or lean out closed loop running conditions but itís still set at its base setting. I figured since the issue seems to only present itself under load/WOT....the pot adjustments wouldnít matter.

I was wondering if maybe itís an issue of the HD base map in the ecu not transitioning well into wot and the autotuner taking over?

Basically I was wondering if the ecu needs to be re-flashed due to the K&N filter and danmoto 2-1. Itís pipes off the head are considerably bigger then the stock pipes. And perhaps one of their stage 1/2/3 etc flashes would help. But again I figured id ask the professionals here first since as I understand from reading here that the dealerships may know even less then me about vrods lol
In a nutshell, get a decent flash tuner that is capable of all adjustments needed. It is the only real way to tune a bike. Anything else is hit and miss.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
logantsi
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for your input Ron. Pardon my ignorance but a flash tuner would be something like a power commander v, power vision, se race tuner/super tuner? I’m sure there’s more I just don’t know many of them
logantsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,427
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantsi View Post
Thanks for your input Ron. Pardon my ignorance but a flash tuner would be something like a power commander v, power vision, se race tuner/super tuner? Iím sure thereís more I just donít know many of them
A flash tuner will allow to install a cal and autotune it to your bike rather then a piggy back device that modifies the existing calibration in the bike. PC3 is a common piggy back device. TTS, PV SE are the most preferred Tuners when keeping the stock ECM.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
logantsi
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like the SE from what I’m reading on here but is it even something I can get anymore? It doesn’t seem available through HD and then I see the word “married” used in certain circumstances on bikes. Does that mean I can’t even buy one used cause it’s already mated to the previous owners bike? Lol
logantsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
H-D Heathen
Asatruar
 
H-D Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Central Ohio, south of the flatlands...
Posts: 2,844
Images: 29
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantsi View Post
I like the SE from what Iím reading on here but is it even something I can get anymore? It doesnít seem available through HD and then I see the word ďmarriedĒ used in certain circumstances on bikes. Does that mean I canít even buy one used cause itís already mated to the previous owners bike? Lol
That's exactly what it means.
__________________
.
.
Not everybody likes us, but we drive some folks wild..-Hank III



"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just donít give a shit.Ē


H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Dawgun
Registered Full
 
Dawgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantsi View Post
THe powrpro is an auto tuner so there’s not much I can or should adjust. I’ve heard/read that there is a pot screw inside
Three pot screws actually!
Idle/cruise
Mid speed
High speed

Crack that baby open and twiddle those screws. You should be able to get your ride humming with a few tests.
__________________
2005 VRSCB stock pipes
Cobra PowrPro Black Tuner
2-up seat
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dawgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum