VSS Sensor Help Diagnose not working - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VSS Sensor Help Diagnose not working

Does anyone know how to test a VSS Vehicle speed sensor. Im not getting a reading at all for it on my power vision. Ive taped the wire 33 out of the ecu for my dash and the speed doesnt seem to work properly I suspect its got something to do with the fact I have a problem somewhere with the VSS.

PS no fault codes either
Ozracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozracer View Post
Does anyone know how to test a VSS Vehicle speed sensor. Im not getting a reading at all for it on my power vision. Ive taped the wire 33 out of the ecu for my dash and the speed doesnt seem to work properly I suspect its got something to do with the fact I have a problem somewhere with the VSS.

PS no fault codes either
Have you read the Power Vision User Manual?

How can you tap a VSS signal and connect it to a Power vision? The Power Vision has no place to connect a VSS signal. Vehicle speed data is read off the digital data stream sent by the ECM (electronic control module). BTW, the ECU (electronic control module) on a Harley bike is part of the ABS system.

The Dynojet Power Vision receives engine data via the DATA LINK connector as mentioned on page 2-9 of Version 6 of the Dynojet "WinPV User Guide". Dynojet calls this the "diagnostic port".

Concerning the VSS sensor, if your speedometer is working then so is the VSS, especially if you have no DTCs set. There are some diagnostic tests for the VSS mentioned in the HD EDM (electrical diagnostic manual) which you should get if you plan to mess with the electrical components.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Stever975 the vss is tapped to recieve the signal for the translogic dash only. As you said the powervision receives the signal from the digital stream but after the ecm has received the signal from the vss. The powervision has the ability to datalog the vss and it sits at 0.00 and doesnt move at all whilst the bike is in motion thus i suggest its not receiving the signal. Neither was the dash receiving a speed signal until late yesterday but it was bouncing all over the place and the powervision was still showing o.oo. I checked the connector plug with a test light and the sensor is getting power i just dont think its sending a signal to to ecm input through the blue black wire to pin 33 on the ecm. Im also getting a p0505 error which i think maybe related to the vss not sending a signal.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Ps the reason i was trying to get a reading on the vss on the powervision was so i can calibrate the speed on the translogic dash. It also has an earth wire on the translogic dash travelling with the sppedo pick up wire and a power wire but this is for use with an external speed sensor which runs off the back wheel. Im trying to use the oem vss for my speed sensor so i ran the earth or ground wire tapped into the ground on the fuel pump connector. I have left the power un connected for the translogic loom as it doesnt need to power a sensor. Stever i appreciate any feedback that helps i know you are extremely knowlegable with electrics.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Someone has suggested removing the vss and cleaning it which i will try but im wondering if ihave a faulty vss?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Stever975 the vss is tapped to recieve the signal for the translogic dash only. As you said the powervision receives the signal from the digital stream but after the ecm has received the signal from the vss. The powervision has the ability to datalog the vss and it sits at 0.00 and doesnt move at all whilst the bike is in motion thus i suggest its not receiving the signal. Neither was the dash receiving a speed signal until late yesterday but it was bouncing all over the place and the powervision was still showing o.oo. I checked the connector plug with a test light and the sensor is getting power i just dont think its sending a signal to to ecm input through the blue black wire to pin 33 on the ecm. Im also getting a p0505 error which i think maybe related to the vss not sending a signal.
Quote:
Ps the reason i was trying to get a reading on the vss on the powervision was so i can calibrate the speed on the translogic dash. It also has an earth wire on the translogic dash travelling with the sppedo pick up wire and a power wire but this is for use with an external speed sensor which runs off the back wheel. Im trying to use the oem vss for my speed sensor so i ran the earth or ground wire tapped into the ground on the fuel pump connector. I have left the power un connected for the translogic loom as it doesnt need to power a sensor. Stever i appreciate any feedback that helps i know you are extremely knowlegable with electrics.
Your original message didn't mention the P0505 DTC or specifically mention that you were using an aftermarket speedometer.

Regardless, a VSS malfunction would normally set P0501 or P0502, not P0505. However, if the VSS signal is interpreted as a vehicle speed of zero then the IAC will attempt to control idle whenever the TPS signal is < 1%. This loss of VSS speed pulse could trigger a P0505 code if you are down shifting with a closed throttle for more than 5 seconds.

I'd suggest the following:
Check for continuity from the sensor "A" connection to ECM pin #14 (BK/R wire at sensor, R/W wire at ECM)
Check for continuity from sensor "B" connection to ECM pin #33 on the BK/BE wire
Check for continuity from the sensor "C" connection to ECM pin #10 on the BK/GN wire
Remove the VSS and check for magnetic particles on the sensor
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Will do thanks for that stever actually thats exactly when it stalls when i pull the clutch in and coast for a couple of seconds that makes sense then its probably being triggered as a result of no signal from the vss. It doesnt trigger straight away when i start the bike but as soon as i go out my driveway and coast down the hill to turn a corner i have the clutch pulled in and no throttle and the bike will stall i suspect this is when the code triggers.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Okay I have checked continuity of all 3 sensor locations above and I appear to have continuity on all three wires. Im new at this but when I have an open circuit my multimeter is at 1. and when circuits are connected I get 0.00. So I suggest I have no broken wires or issues with the wires themselves.

I will move onto the sensor removal next and see if it is dirty. Anyone know how I can actually test the sensor itself while i have it out and cleaning it....

PS Test was conducted with no battery in the bike I presume this is not an issue.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Garage
The VSS is a 5 VDC pulsed Signal (2,050 pulses per second (at maximum speed of 140 mph) with 30T pulley), check this post and others of that thread.
Back in 2004 I used a signal converter for using speedometer to indicate AFR while riding, lol!
It worked but I should have used a wideband probe
Anyhow, here's the link to the good old times:
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=28
Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

well it appears continuity is good and the sensor wasnt dirty so Im still at a loss as to why I am not getting a VSS signal on my Powervision, my dash is displaying erratic speed numbers or no speed at all and Im triggering a P0505. Can I test this VSS somehow whilst its out of the bike to see if the sensor is broken or faulty?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Garage
Hold the sensor in your Hand and wiggle across a magnetic surface (black steel/iron - i.e. a hammer head), the sensor output should flip between 0 V and 5 VDC.
Very simple to test.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

with a probe on what pin the black red power presumably 5v circuit? What I mean is how do I connect the multimeter sorry for the dumb question.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
with a probe on what pin the black red power presumably 5v circuit? What I mean is how do I connect the multimeter sorry for the dumb question.
Sensor pin "A": connect to +5 VDC source
Sensor pin "B": connect to multimeter "+ VDC"
Sensor pin "C": connect to -5 VDC source and multimeter "- VDC"
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Garage
here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFI system.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	275841  
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

Stever and jan thanks i will plug the sensor into the bike but leave it out of the engine and turn bike to ignition should get 5v from there and measure as steve says above with a multimeter. Will let you know how i go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement