Voltage Regulator - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Zami
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Voltage Regulator

Hi everyone. Really happy I found this site! I picked up a 08 NIGHTROD with the abs/ security package a month ago. Bike is fully stock only has 6k miles, but for some reason battery keeps dying (won't start after I shut it off to open the garage after a 10 min trip). I did some research on this site and a few of you seem to think it is the Voltage Regulator.

Fortunately my brother has the same model year nightrod (also with abs/ security).

Can I swap the voltage regulators on these bikes? Will it interfere with the security system? I could not find a "how to" for this and just being cautious can't afford to lock up my ride. Swapping battery/ regulator will help out with narrowing down the issues.

Thank you
Zami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zami View Post
Hi everyone. Really happy I found this site! I picked up a 08 NIGHTROD with the abs/ security package a month ago. Bike is fully stock only has 6k miles, but for some reason battery keeps dying (won't start after I shut it off to open the garage after a 10 min trip). I did some research on this site and a few of you seem to think it is the Voltage Regulator.

Fortunately my brother has the same model year nightrod (also with abs/ security).

Can I swap the voltage regulators on these bikes? Will it interfere with the security system? I could not find a "how to" for this and just being cautious can't afford to lock up my ride. Swapping battery/ regulator will help out with narrowing down the issues.

Thank you
No problem, Nothing to worry about, just remember to remove the maxi fuse before you start work.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Age battery?
Link:
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showth...hlight=voltage
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showth...hlight=voltage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Zami
Registered Full

I'm not sure. The guy I bought it from said he replaced battery in February this year.

Idk what the maxi fuse is lol.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
dimebag
Registered Full

Maxi fuse is the large 40 amp main fuse found under the right side side louver.

Was it a cheap battery or name brand ? Was it every fully drained?

Batteries don't like to be fully discharged, it causes scale to build up which drastically cuts their life. Had month old a battery go bad because i left my ignition on the the wideband fully discharged that battery.

Also when you have low battery voltage wierd frequency sensitive low voltage components start acting up like your speedo will start to bounce.
Any questions pull the battery and take it to any auto repair shop and have them test it, most do that for free

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dimebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Zami
Registered Full

Hey guys. Thank you for your insights. I did find the maxi fuse but hopefully won't have to swap the voltage thing. I also went and got my battery fully charged at the parts store this morning and everything seems fine since. ( I was prev. getting abs/ check engine/ battery light coming on after riding 10 mins) I rode the bike for Abt 30 mins twice already today with zero issues.

The older gent I bought the bike from hardly ever rode it, so I'm guessing maybe it just had enough juice for the 2-3 starts/ short rides I took it for.

I'll report back in a day with updates.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The battery may now be defective. I had a similar problem. Charged the battery. It seemed fine. Ran fro a day or so and all of a sudden it was dead. Had to replace it.
'
Most batteries do not like to be fully discharged. It screws them up.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Boost
Back in Black

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
very few bad regulators on these bikes. They will not run if voltage gets below 10. The battery should have a date on it. A letter and #. month date. If it was me I would put a battery in it and not worry about being stuck 100 miles from home. Yes it's running now but what about that road trip.

My bikes mods (lucky enough to have 2 v-rods)

My bikes pictures

Founder of NightMare's NightRiders!
Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #9
Zami
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
The battery may now be defective. I had a similar problem. Charged the battery. It seemed fine. Ran fro a day or so and all of a sudden it was dead. Had to replace it.
'
Most batteries do not like to be fully discharged. It screws them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost View Post
very few bad regulators on these bikes. They will not run if voltage gets below 10. The battery should have a date on it. A letter and #. month date. If it was me I would put a battery in it and not worry about being stuck 100 miles from home. Yes it's running now but what about that road trip.
💯 thanks for bringing that up. I'd hate to be stranded and having to park the bike anywhere besides the garage. I'll keep it local and make sure someone can get me for the next few days.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Take your battery to a local auto parts store and have them load check it. They will do it for free.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
Zami
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Take your battery to a local auto parts store and have them load check it. They will do it for free.
So far i'm riding to work and back- it's been starting/ running fine with 0 problems. But then again it hasn't sat for more than 2 days since i charged it last week.

I will take it to the parts store and get it tested by next week.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
stevemcgov
Registered Full

If I had to replace mine, I would really consider dropping the cash on the newer, light lithium ones. Nice to drop a few pounds right up by the triple tree.
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Start it up and put a volt meter on the battery and see if it is being charged. Should show 13+ volts at idle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 AM   #14
Jalopy1
Registered Full

when you are riding it does the speedo light flick on an of ? that's a sign on reg stuffing out just done mine on 09 an easy swap 10min job
Jalopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #15
Zami
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy1 View Post
when you are riding it does the speedo light flick on an of ? that's a sign on reg stuffing out just done mine on 09 an easy swap 10min job
^ Yes! But only once yesterday. Was riding at night too. I had stopped at the gas station and noticed that dash was completely dark. I started to pray and it came on soon 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement