Fuel mileage - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCR
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
john928
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel mileage

Finally getting some seat time on this bike. One thing I have noticed is that its a pig on gas. Average is about 28mpg over the past 4 tankfuls. at 130 miles i have fumes left. This is driving country roads. mix of slow and fast. My reference is my old Honda V65 which has the same HP and about 75lbs lighter. That gets in the high 30's with the same driving style.

Bike has Tab slip on w/ baffles and a Tab computer. All else stock.
Not so happy with the computer since motor not so smooth, especially around the 3K mark. Idles fine and accelerates just fine.
They had the settings as if it didn't have baffles. I changed it to the baffle setting.not much different.

So what are others seeing? Anyone else with this setup can comment?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Babying it and tooling around the north Georgia mountains, mostly below 55, I can get up to 55 MPG, however on the hwy, turn the wick up and drive 80-85 it drops like a rock to 30-35 MPG. This is all stock.
Turn up the revs and they are thirsty.
Your pipes and tuner don't help.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just checked mine the other day. PV tune and general easy shifting up to speed, some city and cruising in the 60 mph range. 47.6 miles per Imperial and 39.7 US. Likely would be a hair better checked on longer cruise sessions but overall good.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Dawgun
Registered Full

I've been getting 22mpg in the city. That's comparable to my prior bikes. Lots of stop lights and always screaming off the line. But I'm also still troubleshooting my idle and stall issues - so I'm revving the bike more than normal to keep it from stalling. I'm hopeful I can get the mileage up to 25 after fixing whatever is wrong with the thing.
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dawgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgun View Post
I've been getting 22mpg in the city. That's comparable to my prior bikes. Lots of stop lights and always screaming off the line. But I'm also still troubleshooting my idle and stall issues - so I'm revving the bike more than normal to keep it from stalling. I'm hopeful I can get the mileage up to 25 after fixing whatever is wrong with the thing.
That's way too much fuel burn. Long term this will do damage to the engine in the form of washing the cyls of oil and overall oil dilution for the rest of it. Thinned oil won't be bearing friendly. From what I've seen over the years, anything below 30 would be reason to investigate why. In the real world there is no point in checking for MPG if on is constantly bouncing off the rev limiter so cruising is the only meaningful checks. 25 mpg can happen but this isn't important for actual mpg. 9/10 it's from a shit tune or a piggy back device that feels the cure all is to throw gobs of fuel at a problem. For what it's worth the factory claims 38 mpg US for the stock bike.
Ron
Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Dawgun
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
That's way too much fuel burn.... anything below 30 would be reason to investigate why.
I haven't checked HWY yet - don't get on highways much around here.
My other bikes that got 25 in the city got 50 on the highway so I haven't been concerned yet.

I'll get a highway run in eventually.....
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dawgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I get anywhere from 35mpg (hooning the hell out of it) to 42 mpg (slow poker runs with airheads...)

Last year at Midwest Thunder,I averaged around 38 to 40,which is about normal for the riding I do.

Stock VRSCR with gutted & shortened DX mufflers and a Cobra PowrPro Black tuner.

I've said it before,anyone who bought a Vrod for the gas mileage bought the wrong bike.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
john928
Registered Full

Thanks everyone.
I didn't care if the fuel mileage was in the high 20's if that's what it is. Just didn't seem right.
Based on what was share, it's drinking a bit to much.
The TAB tuner is set correctly, so its either not working right or its just junk.
Looks like I'll be replacing it in the future.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

With spirited riding I get 34-35, 33-34 with wifey on back 36-38 hwy if not spanking it. I usually fuel up at 120 miles, I've burned 3.5 gallons so close to 1.5 gallons still in tank HOWEVER the fuel guage needle is in the lower red and looks like it's empty but it's not. If your engine runs rough in the 3000 - 4000 range that's cruising rpms and that's whats killing your mileage. You're right you may have to change tuners to clear that out if I guessed I'd say it's pig fat in that area. Call TAB those guys are great I had a set of slash cut baffled and they helped me out - I've got a Dobeck style controller and tuned it out myself.
streetrodracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #10
adri
Registered Full

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/har...06/adri/611036

I'm getting 29.4 mpg of mostly downtown Toronto (Canada's most densely populated city).
adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri View Post
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/har...06/adri/611036

I'm getting 29.4 mpg of mostly downtown Toronto (Canada's most densely populated city).
Don't know how you can handle that city and traffic. I avoid it at all costs.
Ron
Old 06-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
adri
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Don't know how you can handle that city and traffic. I avoid it at all costs.
Ron
Two words:

Huge balls.
adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri View Post
Two words:

Huge balls.
Got that right. I can't stand the 401 even to get to T.O. any more due to endless trucks. I hate trucks now. Give me a nice quiet two lane any day and those are getting hard to find around here now.
Ron
Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #14
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

John928 did the V65 really have 108 RWHP ? I almost bought one but for some reason it didn't happen. Still a cool bike - great design, they could have done more. Used to race CR250's, had the first water cooled one, it was a Pro Level Bike, people would tell me " your'e jumping it to far " and I'd say " That's what it wants to do ! " Anyway I live north of Orlando, very busy roads. I always avoid riding towards the city but one weekend I had to go the hangar, on the bike, so towards the city I go. Came upon a car sitting at a light from the Mall, looked like he was going to jump it so I covered both brakes and guess what - He jumps the red light and presents his car right in front of me. If I wasn't covering the brakes I'd probably still be dead. So Luckily he got stuck at a no right turn on Red and I chewed his ASS for 3 Minutes telling him what a P.O.S. he was - honestly he could have cared less- if he ran me over that would be his contribution to society. I don't ride my bike towards the city unless there is a special mission and under great care. I ride AWAY from the city - it's the direction to go on a bike. I've got two SUV's to get me to work in the city safely, and it rains everyday here so like the other night I got home safe due to the Anti-lock brakes on my SUV which saved my ASS from a pickup truck doing a left turn in front of me with a trailer - if on a bike it would not have been pretty. I rest my case - no motorcycles in the city during rush hour. Period. ( End of sentence )
streetrodracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
John928 did the V65 really have 108 RWHP ? I almost bought one but for some reason it didn't happen. Still a cool bike - great design, they could have done more. Used to race CR250's, had the first water cooled one, it was a Pro Level Bike, people would tell me " your'e jumping it to far " and I'd say " That's what it wants to do ! " Anyway I live north of Orlando, very busy roads. I always avoid riding towards the city but one weekend I had to go the hangar, on the bike, so towards the city I go. Came upon a car sitting at a light from the Mall, looked like he was going to jump it so I covered both brakes and guess what - He jumps the red light and presents his car right in front of me. If I wasn't covering the brakes I'd probably still be dead. So Luckily he got stuck at a no right turn on Red and I chewed his ASS for 3 Minutes telling him what a P.O.S. he was - honestly he could have cared less- if he ran me over that would be his contribution to society. I don't ride my bike towards the city unless there is a special mission and under great care. I ride AWAY from the city - it's the direction to go on a bike. I've got two SUV's to get me to work in the city safely, and it rains everyday here so like the other night I got home safe due to the Anti-lock brakes on my SUV which saved my ASS from a pickup truck doing a left turn in front of me with a trailer - if on a bike it would not have been pretty. I rest my case - no motorcycles in the city during rush hour. Period. ( End of sentence )
V65 had two ratings. 116 at 7500 and 100 at the rear wheel at 9500 rpm. I got to ride one back in the day and it would move. Damn impressive bike it was for the day and durable. Like you, I hate the city any more. Give me a back road two lane any day in the country side. Not totally idiot proof but less of them out there.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement