Reading codes - Page 13 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #181
UNYboater
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
Yes, "P" stands for powertrain or ECM (electronic control module) codes, "S" stands for security system or TSM/TSSM/HFSM (turn signal/ security module) codes , "C" stands for cluster or IM (instrument module) codes and "b" stands for brakes or ABS codes.[/URL].
Can this be added to Post #1 or at the top of the Sticky? It may seem obvious to you but it would have saved me a bunch of time reading & searching! LOL
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #182
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNYboater View Post
Can this be added to Post #1 or at the top of the Sticky? It may seem obvious to you but it would have saved me a bunch of time reading & searching! LOL
That would require a moderator.

The early posts in this thread are fine for the early bikes but if you have a newer bike you should:
  1. Read Post #154 for how to read codes on newer VRSC bikes and
  2. Download this pdf for a list of the newer DTCs.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #183
GwaiiEagle
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That for the OP.

Worked no problem.

The first thing that came up when I pushed the instrument button was

d1A9 which I later found out is supposed to mean diagnostic

Then after the steps were completed the code shown on P was P0113

Which is the IAT sensor.

This is a fantastic thread

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by GwaiiEagle; 07-10-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Because I'm a Moron who cant read threads before I post.
GwaiiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #184
kennyt

where is the trip odometer button on a 2012 v rod muscle

I can not find the trip odometer button on a 2012 v rod muscle. the harley store said it was on the left handle bar but it is not there and it is not on the gauge cluster, i am going crazy i have the check engine light on and want to get the code?????? any help. we have moved the gauge cluster to the tank mount but that should not matter.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #185
kennyt

where is the trip odometer button on a 2012 vrod muscle??? it is not on the gauge cluster adn not on the left handlebar. going crazy
Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #186
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I can not find the trip odometer button on a 2012 v rod muscle. the harley store said it was on the left handle bar but it is not there and it is not on the gauge cluster, i am going crazy i have the check engine light on and want to get the code?????? any help. we have moved the gauge cluster to the tank mount but that should not matter.
Quote:
where is the trip odometer button on a 2012 vrod muscle??? it is not on the gauge cluster adn not on the left handlebar. going crazy
Have you tried reading your owner's manual?

Here's the appropriate page in the on-line version for your year and it's shown as item "5".

By moving the cluster you did a good job of hiding it.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #187
kennyt

You are exactly correct by moving the gauges to the tank cover it hid the trip button. I got to it yesterday and pulled code PO113 which is an IAT Sensor. I am investigating that now. There is a plug at the back of the Tank cover my wife noticed at bike week that is unplugged so i may get lucky i am getting back on it this afternoon. Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #188
kennyt

Would anyone happen to know where the IAT sensor code PO113 is located on a 2012 Vrod Muscle? I am also wondering if that would fall under warranty beings the bike is still under warranty. I am taking it in today to be checked at Harley and i asked the service guy on the phone and he had no idea where it is or if warranty will cover?? I suppoose when i get there someone should be able to tell me.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #189
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Would anyone happen to know where the IAT sensor code PO113 is located on a 2012 Vrod Muscle? I am also wondering if that would fall under warranty beings the bike is still under warranty. I am taking it in today to be checked at Harley and i asked the service guy on the phone and he had no idea where it is or if warranty will cover?? I suppoose when i get there someone should be able to tell me.
First, if the "service guy" doesn't know what a P0113 code is and how to fix it I would be looking for another dealer.

When you see the P0113 code (and it's current) it means your IAT sensor is unplugged. This code is stored in the ECM but more importantly, the IAT sensor is mounted in the air cleaner cover near the snorkel tube. Plug in the sensor connector (push the wire bail in while making the connection and then release it) and then clear the code.

If the IAT sensor is already plugged in then the codes is probably "historic". A current code is one that's now active, an historic code is one that's been stored due to a previous problem (it will clear automatically after 50 "good run cycles" or you can clear it as explained in this post.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #190
kennyt

I agree on the dealer answer. we had a TAB performance tuner and pipes installed right after we purchased in saying this i took everything apart friday afternoon and the plug in the air cleaner is not plugged in to anything it is just laying inside the air box but now there is no where to plug it in being they replaced the air cleaner when the pipes were installed. the wire and plug are just laying in there so i am not sure what is going on the light has never came on until we were in PC for bike week and the bike has 9k miles on it now. I guess beings i have an appointment i will take it by the dealer the guy i talked to was hopefully just the scheduler. For conversation even the O2 sensors are not plugged to anything but again the light has never came on but now it is not running right either. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #191
wayne butler
billy butler

codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.
thanks for that info
wayne butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #192
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne butler View Post
thanks for that info...
Max wrote that post in 2003 and it works fine for VRSC bikes from 2002 to 2006.

From your profile it appears you have a 2010 VRSC. If so, I'd suggest following the updated instructions for 2007 and newer VRSC models.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #193
RexD
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
For newer bikes the instructions are as follows (this comes from page 2-1 of the 2010 EDM = electrical diagnostic manual, P/N 99499-10):

1. To enter diagnostic mode press and hold the trip odometer reset switch while turning the IGN ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch. "diag" should appear on the odometer display.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch. "PSCb" will appear on the odometer display.
4. PSCb indicates the different modules that could display codes if equipped.
• P - ECM codes
• S - TSM/TSSM/HFSM codes
• C - IM codes
• b - ABS codes
5. Quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the letters. The letters will flash as they are selected.
6. Once the corresponding letter is flashing to the desired module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
7. If no DTCs are present the odometer will display "none".
8. If any DTCs are stored in the module either current or historic the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
9. If odometer displays "no rsp" then the motorcycle may not be equipped with the module. If the motorcycle is equipped with the selected module then go to other modules and look for applicable communication codes.
10. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display "end".
11. To clear all the DTCs in that module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch. If DTCs are not to be cleared quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch. The part number of the module will be displayed.
12. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module.
13. Turn the IGN OFF to exit diagnostic mode.
Thanks for sharing. That's very useful.
RexD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #194
HALUPINYA
Registered Full

how to read codes
HALUPINYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement