Air Ride, LED Signals, LED Brake Light - Load Equalizer? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
jollywood
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Ride, LED Signals, LED Brake Light - Load Equalizer?

I'm fairly decent with the mechanical stuff but not with wiring. I bought Arnott Air Ride, Kellerman 1000 LED turn signals (4 total), and Shin Yo brake/license plate light. I know I need a load equalizer but I'm not sure what that entails. Can someone shed some light on this for me, please? Thanks!
jollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
phobby
Registered Full

Garage
One standard turn signal load equalizer at all four points. Connect one side to positive and the other to negative on each light. Done

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
phobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
jollywood
Registered Full

Is it a difficult installation? Any recommendations as to which equalizer to use?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
phobby
Registered Full

Garage
The air ride is pretty simple, other than the dump solenoid wires are not perfectly addressed in the directions. One ground to a frame bolt and the other to the positive lead for it. Doesn't matter which wire.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
phobby
Registered Full

Garage
Its pretty easy, connect each side of the load resistor to the two wires when you connect the new turn signals. +/- doesnt matter to the load resistor. I used these for my front turn signal on my F.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1365556392.231569.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	229841

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
jollywood
Registered Full

Awesome, I appreciate the help!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
phobby
Registered Full

Garage
Have fun, I've run out of things to mod. Lol

Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollywood View Post
...I know I need a load equalizer but I'm not sure what that entails. Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobby View Post
One standard turn signal load equalizer at all four points. Connect one side to positive and the other to negative on each light. Done ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobby View Post
Its pretty easy, connect each side of the load resistor to the two wires when you connect the new turn signals. +/- doesnt matter to the load resistor. I used these for my front turn signal on my F. ...
Why one at each signal? The TSM/TSSM/HFSM has only one flash circuit for each side (the front and rear light are powered by the same circuit) so only two load equalizers (= ballast resistors) are needed; one for the right and one for the left. Also, those Oracle lighting RX2450W6RF ballast resistors are only 6 ohms. Using two of these on each side results in a 3 ohm load (= twice the current). This will work but you're stressing the circuits.

Also, why would you need a load equalizer for the VRSCF? It comes from the factory with LED signals and has front and rear turn signal modules that perform the load equalizing function.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
phobby
Registered Full

Garage
Damn I didn't think, one for each side should be sufficient but depends on the bike. I removed my front turn signals mirrors and had to compensate for the computer to stop yelling at me. But from playing around with different front turn signals on my bike. To correctly balance the computer for other LED signals smaller then the big stock mirrors I had to add this load resistor for 4-Way flashers to work correctly.
The computer has one flash circuit but can read individual consumption per turn signal. If he is going to order put them on it would be trial an error if he needed two or four depending on if the consumption from the other lights are enough.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
phobby
Registered Full

Garage
Kellerman suggest to add turn signals and check for operation. If load resistance is needed. These are tiny lights and should require resistors.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
jollywood
Registered Full

My bike is an 09 VRSCDX with all current stock components (electrical, that is)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
DUTCHROD
SpeedoDocter

Garage
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
left and right signal circuit is from front to back the same wire. no separate outputs. so a equilizer per side is needed. 6 (5,6 or 6,8) ohms is barely enough and 3 (3,3) is low but not too much. when calculated it results in a pretty high current but the tssm needs that to not tthrow a fault code.
(with two strong diodes it's even possible to have only one resistor like i did)

the circuit that would compensate for the leds in the muscle is in the tail light itself . (I know because i have one totally apart). front equilizers are in the modules that are fixed to the mirrors. i believe these are under the wings or front covers.
<<<

-Crazy Colors gauge kits for all VR speedo's - BRIGHT!! A cruel cool easy DIY project.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Electronic software conversion service of MPH to KPH speedo's ! Reinstating mileage or Km. Have yours done combined with a light kit now!

- More examples of what you see left? Stainless steel faceplate? Carbon options? Blacked out? shiftlight build in? Gearindicator build in? >>> check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out <<<
DUTCHROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement