Finally joined the 240 club ('03 A) - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
skotk1
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Finally joined the 240 club ('03 A)

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my new 240 setup on my '03A. I actually bought the wheels from "patm" on here a few years back and just got around to tearing into it this past month.

I will say, I have very little mechanical skills, but was able to do the whole thing by myself with just the help of this forum as a guide.

I still need to smooth out my cuts on my belt guard and a few other minor details (might go with shorter shocks, side mount plate, integrated tailight), but for now, it's "done."

A few questions to those who have went this route, is your belt/tire clearance on the leading end of the tire EXTREMELY close? I went with a widened kosman's 8.5" rim and metzler 240 tire. The belt comes within a few milimeters of the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	168379   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	168380   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike5.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	984.7 KB
ID:	168381   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	168382  
2003 VRSCA; a few chrome pieces ;-), CFR, PCIII, topless, 04 "B" riser with drag bars, chromed niterod fairing, 240 rear on Kosman's widened 8.5" rim, matching chrome front rim, and a long list of other ideas....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
skotk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
2WheelWillie
Brave Rifle

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks awesome. I am honestly jelous, hah. I am going to have to look into doing this.
2WheelWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
not much looks better than a 240 under a 180 rear fender. well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The 240 mounted on an 8 1/2 wide wheel crammed into an anodized V-Rod is the cats ass.
I did my own one off install and used the stock guards.I'd have to see a pic of what you are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wide tire.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	168383  
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Here's another,an 8 incher stuffed into an 02.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MW.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	908.6 KB
ID:	168384  
Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
skotk1
Registered Full

Thanks, guys.

Elrod, it looks like you made the stock "wide" pulley work with the 8.5" rim. How did you accomplish that one? Mine was a tight fit with the narrow pulley. I'd love to use my wide one, since it's chromed and the narrow one isn't...yet.

I don't have any good pics right now of the left side. I'd work on getting a few to show what I mean.
2003 VRSCA; a few chrome pieces ;-), CFR, PCIII, topless, 04 "B" riser with drag bars, chromed niterod fairing, 240 rear on Kosman's widened 8.5" rim, matching chrome front rim, and a long list of other ideas....
Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotk1 View Post
Thanks, guys.

Elrod, it looks like you made the stock "wide" pulley work with the 8.5" rim. How did you accomplish that one? Mine was a tight fit with the narrow pulley. I'd love to use my wide one, since it's chromed and the narrow one isn't...yet.

I don't have any good pics right now of the left side. I'd work on getting a few to show what I mean.
yea,I used the wide pulleys on a few or them.They fit and nicely.It takes some grinding and lots of thinking.The 8 inch is easier because the front pulley doesn't have to be moved.I spaced the drive flange from the output bearing and machined the output bearing retainer to move the seal out on mine.
I'm fixin to cram a 280 onto a slotted widened wheel from Kosman.10 inches ought to make the 280 look real nice crammed under the wide fender on my X.
I'll use the same procedure I used on the 03 I own.
I'll bet I can still turn an 1150 et through the quarter.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
skotk1
Registered Full

Quote:
I spaced the drive flange from the output bearing and machined the output bearing retainer to move the seal out on mine.
Sounds like more than I am capable of, and to be honest, I wouldn't consider asking my local HD shops to attempt any of this. I'd rather wing it myself as I have done so far.

The pics of the bikes you've done are gorgeous. I've been wanting to do this for years now, and finally got it done. I'm quite pleased.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

My wife and brother thought I was crazy when I ripped the ass end of my almost new bike apart and started hacking and grinding on it.i had my own doubts too.In fact I kept thinking,hell,I havn't ruined to many parts that I couldn't replace cheap and put it back together.i was scared to death when I road tested it.I did the first test at 1 in the morning without a helmet on so I could listen.I went passed a batch of crickets and shut the bike down thinking something on the bike was making noise.
I impressed myself and my wife with the 240 install on my bike.It has been a good advertiser.To bad the economy tanked when it did.I think I could have made some decent money,while giving good work at a fair price.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
skotk1
Registered Full

HAHA, that post is hilarious, considering what I went through the last few weekends. I did the work at my buddies garage. He came in one day and I have the grinder out, the back wheel off, the fender struts laying on the floor, and he said, "Scotty, what the hell were you thinking!?!?! That thing will never run again!"

He was only half-kidding at the time. But it is a big sense of accomplishment, BUT I have only ridden a few miles so far, as you said, I am a bit scared so far, and the rides I have taken are with one ear to the ground listening for "noises". So far the belt was a little too tight, causing some noise, but an adjustment seemed to solve that.

Funny that you were able to nail exactly what I'm going through. Makes me feel a little better about it!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Jota69
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod View Post
yea,I used the wide pulleys on a few or them.They fit and nicely.It takes some grinding and lots of thinking.The 8 inch is easier because the front pulley doesn't have to be moved.I spaced the drive flange from the output bearing and machined the output bearing retainer to move the seal out on mine.
I'm fixin to cram a 280 onto a slotted widened wheel from Kosman.10 inches ought to make the 280 look real nice crammed under the wide fender on my X.
I'll use the same procedure I used on the 03 I own.
I'll bet I can still turn an 1150 et through the quarter.
Can you give detailed instructions on how you managed to use the wide pulley with the 240 wheel? I'm doing a 240 swap with an AW wheel and would love to be able to use the wide pulley

1968 FIAT 500F ABARTH 695SS Replica 25HP of Pure Italian Muscle
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jota69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
fastvrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have got the wide pulley and a narrow belt, on a koosman wheel, 8.5 on a 240 tire, the thing looks nasty. i won a steak bet with my buddy when he said it would not fit. oyeah, the tolerance is ever so close. like say maybe a cats whisker. but there is still clearance. also i dumped the bottom belt guard, and modded the top. i will have to post pictures, but i am not good at that.
fastvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvrod View Post
i have got the wide pulley and a narrow belt, on a koosman wheel, 8.5 on a 240 tire, the thing looks nasty. i won a steak bet with my buddy when he said it would not fit. oyeah, the tolerance is ever so close. like say maybe a cats whisker. but there is still clearance. also i dumped the bottom belt guard, and modded the top. i will have to post pictures, but i am not good at that.
email the pics to me at [email protected] and I'll post them for you.

The clearance at the wide pulley to swingarm is 2 mm's.It's close,but like you say,it does not touch and because it is a solid mount,it never will.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
hamletexpress
Genesis1130cc

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
A 240 conversion on an '03 is just bad-ass!
hamletexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
skotk1
Registered Full

FastV or Elrod, running the wide pulley and narrow belt, any problems with belt travel or "walking" because of the the extra width of the pulley? If the belt were to travel, would it not hit the tire at the leading edge toward the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement