Spin outs / loss of traction with Cobra PowrPro? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Dawgun
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spin outs / loss of traction with Cobra PowrPro?

I had a severe spin out last week that smashed my bike and left me with a crushed foot (thank god I was wearing my helmet because my head hit the pavement HARD). I still can't figure out what went wrong but I do remember hearing the engine growl like it does when I open er up. The ground was a little bit wet. Could the PowrPro have been adding more and more fuel as the wheel lost traction?

Sam
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dawgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I doubt it, I've the same tuner & have never experienced that occurring.

More likely IMO,was a loss of traction due to surface conditions,such as gas/oil mix on the pavement. Especially if there was a recent light rain or water on the road as you mention. Petroleum products "float" on pavement under those conditions and are very slick.

Sorry to hear about your crash,hope you heal quickly.

ETA : How's your tires? I just remembered when I first got my bike ,it had OEM Dunlops mounted. Rear tire did slip on a wet road surface but those tires were shit.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

Last edited by H-D Heathen; 08-15-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added info from my past, and fix typos.
H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgun View Post
I had a severe spin out last week that smashed my bike and left me with a crushed foot (thank god I was wearing my helmet because my head hit the pavement HARD). I still can't figure out what went wrong but I do remember hearing the engine growl like it does when I open er up. The ground was a little bit wet. Could the PowrPro have been adding more and more fuel as the wheel lost traction?

Sam
You're seriously blaming a tuning product for your wipe out?

Sorry, this is a sore spot for me as I used to produce products for a different platform and had to deal with endless "Your product caused my vehicle to X, Y, Z" with absolutely no evidence (or basis) to the claim.

It happened because you had either a slick surface, poor throttle control, crap tires, or you weren't paying attention. Hopefully it's more of an embarrassing situation than a painful/permanent one.
freudie1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
You're seriously blaming a tuning product for your wipe out?

Sorry, this is a sore spot for me as I used to produce products for a different platform and had to deal with endless "Your product caused my vehicle to X, Y, Z" with absolutely no evidence (or basis) to the claim.

It happened because you had either a slick surface, poor throttle control, crap tires, or you weren't paying attention. Hopefully it's more of an embarrassing situation than a painful/permanent one.
in full agreement with the above statements

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 street rod SuperCharged (and proud of it)
'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Tie_One_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Dawgun
Registered Full

Heathen: There had definitely been a drizzle, and this is the city, so oil everywhere. The bike is in the shop so I'll have to check the tires.

freudie: I hear you. I'm trying to find out if my bike is more likely to throw itself with a tuner attached and if I have to be more careful as a result. In the past, I've had my rear wheel spin on oil, sand, construction plates, rain, and snow but I've never had an accident like this. So I want to know if this is something that Cobra should be warning people about. And I'm also curious if Cobra might be able to take this issue and turn it into a positive by adding a traction mode to their tuner - it makes sense to me that the computer should be able to detect the problem when in traction mode and change the EFI conditions. The app could have a racing mode that disables traction mode or something like that. I'm trying to be constructive and help prevent other people from getting hurt or killed. (Even if those people are ignorant, on a slick surface, with poor throttle control and crap tires - not joking - that's probably me....)
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Heathen: There had definitely been a drizzle, and this is the city, so oil everywhere.

Bingo ! I think we've found the answer. It ain't the tuner.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Heathen: There had definitely been a drizzle, and this is the city, so oil everywhere. The bike is in the shop so I'll have to check the tires.

freudie: I hear you. I'm trying to find out if my bike is more likely to throw itself with a tuner attached and if I have to be more careful as a result. In the past, I've had my rear wheel spin on oil, sand, construction plates, rain, and snow but I've never had an accident like this. So I want to know if this is something that Cobra should be warning people about. And I'm also curious if Cobra might be able to take this issue and turn it into a positive by adding a traction mode to their tuner - it makes sense to me that the computer should be able to detect the problem when in traction mode and change the EFI conditions. The app could have a racing mode that disables traction mode or something like that. I'm trying to be constructive and help prevent other people from getting hurt or killed. (Even if those people are ignorant, on a slick surface, with poor throttle control and crap tires - not joking - that's probably me....)
I hear what you are saying, but that is a "piggy back" style tuner. Does very little other than modify signals to attempt to influence the OEM ECM to alter AFR or timing. Beyond that, there is no intelligence so to speak and certainly no possibility of traction control (the OEM ECU has none and a piggy back tuner can ONLY influence what the OEM ECU can do natively at best).

As for the accident, once again...nature or rider. I've been there (on a bicycle actually...I used to road race). Best part of my accident? I was alone. Good times good times.
freudie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Dawgun
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
I hear what you are saying, but that is a "piggy back" style tuner. Does very little other than modify signals to attempt to influence the OEM ECM to alter AFR or timing..
Interesting. So maybe I misunderstood how the "Continuously Variable Tuning (patent pending) technology" works. I though it reads the timing, no? My unit doesn't have O2 sensors by the way. It's strictly a computer sitting between the ECM and the injectors. Do you know more about how the PowrPro works?
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
Old 08-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Interesting. So maybe I misunderstood how the "Continuously Variable Tuning (patent pending) technology" works. I though it reads the timing, no? My unit doesn't have O2 sensors by the way. It's strictly a computer sitting between the ECM and the injectors. Do you know more about how the PowrPro works?
Not any form of tuner problem. Too much throttle for the road conditions is the cause.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Not any form of tuner problem. Too much throttle for the road conditions is the cause.
Ron
coastrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

I agree - too much throttle for conditions but I will say that a properly tuned bike is much more likely to break loose than a poorly tuned one - poorly tuned bikes almost have traction control as the engine revs up more slowly and with little power snap - the sound you heard was the engine revving freely once the restriction of the tire traction was removed. I put a quick turn throttle on mine and the first time I really whacked it while leaned over the back end broke loose on dry pavement and I went into a tank slapper. Barely saved it. If your bike is tuned properly you need to re-calibrate your right wrist to match- especially in slippery conditions - but don't blame the provider of the power, the fuel tuner. You'll figure it out, now you got first hand experience.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Dawgun
Registered Full

Yup. Learned my lesson. It's not about the cc's - it's all about the HP.

This might be too much bike for me.

I'll talk it over with the wife, and may end up posting the bike for sale. I still have my Dyna which has been very predictable (and forgiving) so far.

Sam
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
stevemcgov
Registered Full

Sorry to hear it, glad nobody ran you over when you were Down. Sounds like happened in a flash. did you snap the throttle by accident?
You have a non slipper clutch RIGHT? Did you downshift hard?

i ditched a throttle boss because a few times a bump made my hand push it I've come close to loosing the rear end on new tar with that stinky slick stuff on it,wet traffic lines, crack filler snakes, etc. The REvo at Stage 1 still surprises me sometimes with its jump.

testing the tuner with the bike on a stand or riding it or on a dyno would be good if you think it has issues - shorts-malfunction, etc.

IMHO - Best chance it was something like oil with 0 resistance you hit in the rain and it rear wheel took off on it and spun right up..

If it happened in dry conditions it would make me think you slipped in your own fluid like a custom oil breather dripping oil out the bottom, loose breather vent hose blowing oil around, coolant leak, worn brake line....
Take care of that foot and heal up!

I wear these Wannabe Moto-GP style race boots most of the time - got them for 200 -
Better protection than your big old harley boots IMHO
Dainese TRQ-Tour Gore-Tex Boots
- D-Axial jointed anti-ankle twist back system

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...BoCUYMQAvD_BwE
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
stevemcgov
Registered Full

Re: "This might be too much bike for me. "
I doubt that. By your Join date I am guessing the Vrod is new to you.
So you are used to pulling through the gears on your Dyna like an 18 wheeler
Short Shifting at low RPMs.
if you get the Vrod repaired, you'll decide if you like it enough.
For starters Ditch the stock Grips - personally I cant stand Broom handle type grips.
I've got Kuryakyn Iso grips. For me much better throttle control.
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
Dawgun
Registered Full

Thanks, Steve. I'm talking to someone right now about selling it damaged but I may turn it into a weekend project bike (for the next couple of years). And I'll definitely look into the ISO grips.

To answer your prior message:
The order of events were as follows:
1) I power walked the bike out of its parking space and lined it up with the street.
2) The street was slightly wet (this is the city and the situation most definitely meant oil on the surface - which I wasn't thinking about)
3) I gunned it and started letting out the clutch a third of the way to see if I had traction - I did have traction
4) The bike accelerated forward around 12 feet
5) I let out the clutch another third of the way
6) The rear end swung out left
7) I steered left (wrong) because the bike was now facing some parked cars just 4 feet away from me
8) the rear tire caught traction and thrust the bike forward to the right
9) the front tire locked left and the bike threw itself over high side to the left and landed hard on its side. It probably skidded just few feet.

I'm acknowledging I made errors here; I'm just surprised by the consequences of those errors as I've never had it play out this way before (been riding 11 years in all conditions).

Thanks for your constructive feedback. I'm figuring out next steps.
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!

Last edited by Dawgun; 08-21-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement