Fan Problem - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by msubido View Post
Hi all...I'm having upper fan problems for my '12 Turbo Muscle. Is it true that you have to replace the entire fan housing to replace just 1 fan? Or can you just replace the single fan? If I can replace the just single fan does anyone have a make, model, and part number you can refer to me? Thanks in advance!!!
Read the above posts for the answer.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #17
msubido
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ron...thanks for the reply. So from reading the post, it would seem that I could replace just 1 fan from the entire assembly. I would like to fix my fan issue by doing the single fan replacement but the thread didn't have any make, model or part number. I did see a thumbnail of what looks to be the fan that was purchased/recommended but I was unable to open it. So if there is some detailed information on the fan I should order, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Mauro
msubido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #18
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by msubido View Post
Ron...thanks for the reply. So from reading the post, it would seem that I could replace just 1 fan from the entire assembly. I would like to fix my fan issue by doing the single fan replacement but the thread didn't have any make, model or part number. I did see a thumbnail of what looks to be the fan that was purchased/recommended but I was unable to open it. So if there is some detailed information on the fan I should order, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Mauro
Officially you need to replace both fans at once, as they are in a sealed unit. About $200+ from Harley.

However, you CAN replace just one fan, if you know what you're doing. The fans are produced by SPAL and are model# va31-a101-46a, part number 30103011.

Here's how to replace one fan:

Items needed:
1. Patience
2. Nerves of steel
3. SPAL fan va31-a101-46a
4. 10mm socket
5. Uh...whatever socket size the radiator support bolts are...13mm? 1/2 in?
6. #2 Phillips head screwdriver
7. Center punch AKA finishing nail countersink
8. Small hammer or other similar beating instrument
9. Wire cutters
10. Wire strippers
11. Heat shrink tubing
12. Heat gun or hair dryer (lighter works in a pinch)
13. Soldering gun
14. Solder
15. About 30 minutes to spare

I'm going to assume you have a service manual, so I don't have to explain every little detail. If you don't have a service manual, go buy one.

1. Remove radiator cover/shroud
2. Remove lower radiator support bracket (AKA front crossmember)
3. Loosen top radiator support bolts
4. Remove three bolts (10mm socket) from the fan frame assembly. One on each side, and one top middle. It's a bitch to get to without completely removing the radiator, but you can do it.
5. Unplg both fans (plugs under left radiator cover)
6. Slide fan assembly down and out through the bottom of the frame. It helps if you have the bike up on a scissor lift for ground clearance.

Now the fun part. By this point you will have ordered and received this EXACT fan:

Spal 30103011 5.2" Paddle Blade Puller Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OBP0Z6..._x1olDbBFH8EPZ

You can get it direct from SPAL for about $10 more if you don't like Amazon. Make sure you get the PULLER fan.

Now we're going to swap fans. I recommend starting with the busted fan, in case you screw it up...who cares.

1. On the back of the fan is three screws. Remove them. The fan will be loose in the assembly, but you'll notice the fan blades don't allow it come out of the frame.

2. Lay the fan assembly in your lap with the fan blades facing UP. (you're sitting down by now, right?) Important the fan blades are facing UP. Center the broken fan between your legs.

3. Now take your center punch and small hammer. Place the center punch in the middle of thr fan blade, right where you see the metal pin holding on the blades.

4. Lightly tap the center punch with the small hammer. This will push the metal pin, and with it the motor, out of the back of the frame. So now you have a frame with just one fan.

5. Now, grab your brand new SPAL puller fan model #va31-a101-46a. Get ready to void any warranty it carried.

6. Optional: I recommend testing the fan first by jumping it with a 9v battery. POS to POS and NEG to NEG. It's a 12v fan, but 9v is enough to spin it.

7. Remove the three screws from the back side.

8. Now flip it over in your lap. Use your center punch to tap out the pin/motor to free the fan blades and remove it from the frame. Careful not to let the motor fall between your legs and strike the ground. Cause if it does, and it stops working, you don't have a warranty anymore.

9. Now, place the new fan motor in the V-Rod fan frame and secure it with the three screws.

10. Take the fan blades and press them back on to the motor housing. I just pressed it ok by hand, others have used a press. Just don't beat on it with a hammer. Press it on firmly.

11. Ok, that part is done. One more trick. Look at your new plug. Now look at your old plug. Holy crap, they don't match! Don't fret! Clip the wires, swap plugs, solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing on the joints.

12. Reverse the fan removal instructions to reinstall the fans.

Voila! You just saved about $150! Grab yourself a beer, grab your woman and show her what a man you are. You did it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190715-165652_Samsung Internet_1563227828055.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	533131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190715-165624_Amazon Shopping_1563227840691.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	687.0 KB
ID:	533133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190715-161907_eBay_1563227855725.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	604.3 KB
ID:	533135  
Mr. Orange 645 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
Officially you need to replace both fans at once, as they are in a sealed unit. About $200+ from Harley.

However, you CAN replace just one fan, if you know what you're doing. The fans are produced by SPAL and are model# va31-a101-46a, part number 30103011.

Here's how to replace one fan:

Items needed:
1. Patience
2. Nerves of steel
3. SPAL fan va31-a101-46a
4. 10mm socket
5. Uh...whatever socket size the radiator support bolts are...13mm? 1/2 in?
6. #2 Phillips head screwdriver
7. Center punch AKA finishing nail countersink
8. Small hammer or other similar beating instrument
9. Wire cutters
10. Wire strippers
11. Heat shrink tubing
12. Heat gun or hair dryer (lighter works in a pinch)
13. Soldering gun
14. Solder
15. About 30 minutes to spare

I'm going to assume you have a service manual, so I don't have to explain every little detail. If you don't have a service manual, go buy one.

1. Remove radiator cover/shroud
2. Remove lower radiator support bracket (AKA front crossmember)
3. Loosen top radiator support bolts
4. Remove three bolts (10mm socket) from the fan frame assembly. One on each side, and one top middle. It's a bitch to get to without completely removing the radiator, but you can do it.
5. Unplg both fans (plugs under left radiator cover)
6. Slide fan assembly down and out through the bottom of the frame. It helps if you have the bike up on a scissor lift for ground clearance.

Now the fun part. By this point you will have ordered and received this EXACT fan:

Spal 30103011 5.2" Paddle Blade Puller Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OBP0Z6..._x1olDbBFH8EPZ

You can get it direct from SPAL for about $10 more if you don't like Amazon. Make sure you get the PULLER fan.

Now we're going to swap fans. I recommend starting with the busted fan, in case you screw it up...who cares.

1. On the back of the fan is three screws. Remove them. The fan will be loose in the assembly, but you'll notice the fan blades don't allow it come out of the frame.

2. Lay the fan assembly in your lap with the fan blades facing UP. (you're sitting down by now, right?) Important the fan blades are facing UP. Center the broken fan between your legs.

3. Now take your center punch and small hammer. Place the center punch in the middle of thr fan blade, right where you see the metal pin holding on the blades.

4. Lightly tap the center punch with the small hammer. This will push the metal pin, and with it the motor, out of the back of the frame. So now you have a frame with just one fan.

5. Now, grab your brand new SPAL puller fan model #va31-a101-46a. Get ready to void any warranty it carried.

6. Optional: I recommend testing the fan first by jumping it with a 9v battery. POS to POS and NEG to NEG. It's a 12v fan, but 9v is enough to spin it.

7. Remove the three screws from the back side.

8. Now flip it over in your lap. Use your center punch to tap out the pin/motor to free the fan blades and remove it from the frame. Careful not to let the motor fall between your legs and strike the ground. Cause if it does, and it stops working, you don't have a warranty anymore.

9. Now, place the new fan motor in the V-Rod fan frame and secure it with the three screws.

10. Take the fan blades and press them back on to the motor housing. I just pressed it ok by hand, others have used a press. Just don't beat on it with a hammer. Press it on firmly.

11. Ok, that part is done. One more trick. Look at your new plug. Now look at your old plug. Holy crap, they don't match! Don't fret! Clip the wires, swap plugs, solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing on the joints.

12. Reverse the fan removal instructions to reinstall the fans.

Voila! You just saved about $150! Grab yourself a beer, grab your woman and show her what a man you are. You did it!
Good post. Screw the women part. At 66 I've proved the man part many times over. Give me a beer instead.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement