WARNING!!! Failure Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008 - Page 5 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #61
bassman76542
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HD is a big company with high dollar lawyers. Would i testify, hell yeah. Would I expect to win the lawsuit? I wouldnt hold my breath. Yes I dealt with HD for the first couple years after I bought the bike, I talked to them about all of my problems. I finally gave up and started working on it myself. Even the people that seem to care and know what they are talking about really dont. It'll take a lawsuit before they issue recalls, but with todays economy that lawsuit might just mean no more H-D, you think it is hard to find parts now??
bassman76542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #62
DanTouch

This rear brake failure happened to my Rod last year. I had it fixed at a friends shop. Not Harley dealer. Since then, Harley has thousands of bikes that will be recalled because of this stupid design flaw. They have not recalled yet, still tooling a new design. Dumb ass design to begin with. Just put that little rubber and brass brake fluid dealy on this exhaust pipe. I use engine brakeing and front brakes, more than rear now.
DanTouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #63
Duke_On
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just picked up a second hand 08 NRS. I will make sure to get this checked. Thanks for the heads up.
Duke_On is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #64
kaos0068
Registered Full

i have 2 rear brake switches blow out in less than 30,000 km
kaos0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #65
losNRS
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
An alternative to this ongoing problem is to upgrade the system between the rear MC and the caliper. By using a banjo bolt/brake light switch combination at the MC, and then running a stainless steel braided line along the inside of the frame, and up to the caliper, should solve this problem. The line would follow the stock path and use stock mounting clips. Not only is this a cleaner design, but firmer brakes/feel, and less chance of leaks because fluid connection is only at the MC and at the caliper. Check with Sharkey, I belive he can custom make this kit for each bike. Just an option.
losNRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #66
kaos0068
Registered Full

This has been brought to the Attention of TMR Queensland by the police vehicle inspection unit as a design fault.
here is some of the email that was sent and thanks to this site and all who have posted as the site will be used in reference.

Last edited by kaos0068; 02-12-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: personal
kaos0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #67
dmg

Talking opps

When that happens, I put my feet down and push hard!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #68
Bing3

Issue also

Gentlemen,
I had a similar issue (2007 VRC NRS). Going back to work, was backing out of the driveway. Had pressure on the back break while drifting back and a plume of smoke rose (on my way home I could tell my back break was acting up, not as much pressure as usual). When I inspected the issue, there is only what I can describe as a cylinder with 2 little leads coming out of it (maybe for the break light?) a little further down the line but near the exhaust. When I applied pressure a bit of break fluid would drip out on the exhaust causing the smoke. I am currently deployed and about to return, the bike is in the shop as we speak. Harley said they couldn't find any issues with it...Someone here told me it may be a factory recall? Any help finding out if it is? Thank you all for your support.

-SFC B
Bing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #69
inspector

Had same issue when I got my 2008. The banjo fitting when it was installed at the factory rolled up and was just a fraction away from the exhaust. I took it to the local dealer and they replaced the line all the way back to the break light switch. I caught it before it burnt thru.
inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #70
Cwinne22
Registered Full

Dam good to know, I have an 07 and I'll be checking this out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Cwinne22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement