Second Gear - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Second Gear

What is it about second gear that it makes a crunchy shifting sound , where the rest don't. Usually from first to second. Can't put my finger on it but it seems this gear is built differently in some way, ratio's , dogs, not sure what. Bike is 2013 DX. Did this from day one and only at certain speeds coming out of first. Works fine just has that mini grind shift engagement.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Never mind. After using the search function I decided it's normal for this gear box.
Ron
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
roadrash3
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yup, standard, going first to second always sounds horrible on the gears
roadrash3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
lknosp
Registered Full

Garage
Sounds silly, but most will tell you that switching to a true synthetic oil will make the transmission shift smoother and quieter. You will finds dozens of threads on this forum.
lknosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
triked
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lknosp View Post
Sounds silly, but most will tell you that switching to a true synthetic oil will make the transmission shift smoother and quieter. You will finds dozens of threads on this forum.
i had my 03 v rod motor trike serviced in texas and also black hills harley then australia and each time i asked them to ride it and check out the 2nd gear clunk each told me it is normal. after riding 10,000 miles its no worse but its still annoying me so ive decided to go with what ive read in these forums and i will change my oil to amsoil full synthetic and while i doubt it will fix the problem at least i can say i listened and i tried
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3214930_591fb60e-a76c-4138-8ff7-586718daf603.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	232793  
triked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
OhioCop
"Reaper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by triked View Post
i had my 03 v rod motor trike serviced in texas and also black hills harley then australia and each time i asked them to ride it and check out the 2nd gear clunk each told me it is normal. after riding 10,000 miles its no worse but its still annoying me so ive decided to go with what ive read in these forums and i will change my oil to amsoil full synthetic and while i doubt it will fix the problem at least i can say i listened and i tried
I doesn't fix the problem but it does make it a lot better!
2016 NRS + Trask Turbo Charger with TTS Master Tuner + Amsoil brand oil and filter + Blacked Out Hand and Foot Controls + Adaptive LED Headlight + 50 Watt Driving Lights + Fork Wrap LED Front Turn Signal/Running Lights + Flush Mount LED Rear Turn Signals + Custom V Rod Derby Cover + Over size 260mm tire + Air Ride Shocks = BEAST!
OhioCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
rbabos
Registered Full

The bike will be on Ams once I get enough miles on it but don't expect that to cure a mechanical design. Not having seen the innards and hope never too. Had enough of that with the BT. Anyway I feel it's somehow in the design of this dog setup to beef the second gear up since it sees the most shifting abuse and it seems it's the first gear to fail in racing apps. Either that or how the gears area rotating between shifts or a combo of both?
I understand I have to live with it but still would like to know the physical reason for it happening.
No, it's not typical Harley since the big twins don't exibit this first to second crunch sound. I't unique to this gearbox.
Ron
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
XvtxCrewzr
Crash Bandacoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknosp View Post

Yep...my B aggro'd the Beejesus outta me at times with "the clunk"
Switched to Amsoil and its a totally diffrent animal.
'05 VRSCB,Sundowner seat with pillon,chrome side covers,chrome switch housings,chrome fuel cell covers,chrome brake/clutch resevoir covers,chrome engine kit,luggage rack,chrome swingarm,chrome upper/lower belt covers,pivot covers,chrome rear slotted wheel and pully,chrome girly hand levers,kuryakin grips,Avon Cobra's 200mm rear,power commander III with SE slip-ons and SE airfilter,and more chrome
Also a vintage '72 750 Norton Commando,and a Yammi XJ700 Maxim X
Now I'm REALLY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XvtxCrewzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
FatbyRR
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's alway a longer throw from 1 to 2nd because you are going through neutral. And yes, it is still there with big twins, I've owned 5 znd my father and brother another 9 or 10, they all are a little "grunchy" from 1st to 2nd.

That said, just today I changed my oil and used Mobil 1 20/50.
All my shifts are noticably better.

( As an aside I also used full synthetic "gear oil" on all my Airheads.
And it improved the shifts on them as well. But they have seperate trans oil....)
FatbyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatbyRR View Post
It's alway a longer throw from 1 to 2nd because you are going through neutral. And yes, it is still there with big twins, I've owned 5 znd my father and brother another 9 or 10, they all are a little "grunchy" from 1st to 2nd.

That said, just today I changed my oil and used Mobil 1 20/50.
All my shifts are noticably better.

( As an aside I also used full synthetic "gear oil" on all my Airheads.
And it improved the shifts on them as well. But they have seperate trans oil....)
That's what I'm comparing it to. Just got rid of an 07 fxstc with a 120. Ran ams in the box, Rivera clutch and it had the same shift sound in each gear change and nice and crisp. So does the v rod but only if going into second and lighter load shifts. When getting into it hard it goes on but has that initial grind sound as the dogs move in. Not much I can do about it so I'll learn to live with it.
Ron
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
blubyubusa
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
clunk

You think the vrod is bad, try a Suzuki M109. I owned an 08 for a while and spent quite a bit of time on their web site and they all complain about it. What is even worse is the cost of engine removal and repair. A good friend of mine owns a shop and said he had done one and would never do another. Most of the threads on here talk about the overall durability of our motor, the same cannot be said for the 109. If abused much at all it starts slipping out of gear. I loved the bike but could not stand the clunk, sold it at an dealer auction as I did not want to sell to individual. I figured a dealer knew what he was getting.
blubyubusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
matt2007
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubyubusa View Post
You think the vrod is bad, try a Suzuki M109. I owned an 08 for a while and spent quite a bit of time on their web site and they all complain about it. What is even worse is the cost of engine removal and repair. A good friend of mine owns a shop and said he had done one and would never do another. Most of the threads on here talk about the overall durability of our motor, the same cannot be said for the 109. If abused much at all it starts slipping out of gear. I loved the bike but could not stand the clunk, sold it at an dealer auction as I did not want to sell to individual. I figured a dealer knew what he was getting.
Very true, all Suzi's and Yammies are much worse for the clunk than Honda and HD,the 109's actually broke quite often.
matt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
OldMike
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
That's what I'm comparing it to. Just got rid of an 07 fxstc with a 120. Ran ams in the box, Rivera clutch and it had the same shift sound in each gear change and nice and crisp. So does the v rod but only if going into second and lighter load shifts. When getting into it hard it goes on but has that initial grind sound as the dogs move in. Not much I can do about it so I'll learn to live with it.
Ron
Wow, you had a 120 and now a Vrod? Was it the crate 120? I was "this" close to ordering a 120 for my Lowrider but for the same money as the engine upgrade I traded in for my Vrod. I would think a 120 would be a brute down low compared to a Vrod.
Back to the subject, I only have about 120 miles on my bike, nothing comes to mind or stands out about the shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'll be riding later today, I'll try to remember to pay attention for any noises.
Air Cleaner: AMSOIL
Battery: Ballistic 16 Cell
Rotors: Lyndall Composite
Sprocket: 26 Tooth
Shocks: Progressive 444
Levers: Oberon
OldMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMike View Post
Wow, you had a 120 and now a Vrod? Was it the crate 120? I was "this" close to ordering a 120 for my Lowrider but for the same money as the engine upgrade I traded in for my Vrod. I would think a 120 would be a brute down low compared to a Vrod.
Back to the subject, I only have about 120 miles on my bike, nothing comes to mind or stands out about the shifting from 1st to 2nd. I'll be riding later today, I'll try to remember to pay attention for any noises.
The 120 was a product from stock to 113 and then 120. The 120 came out after I did the 113 so cases were already ready for it. Bought the crank and pistons as well as some 110 heads that were sent off to the porter. It was called the HTT build on the Harley Tech Talk site. Very strong engine but the ride and the brakes on the softail sucked. V rod was a solution to have it all in one package. Got tired of throwing money at it and there were signs of the trans having issues as well with the output bearing. V rod is a way more sophisitacted ride and where it lacks pavement gouging low end torque it makes up for it is so many other ways. I don't miss the BT at all now. I made the mistake of taking a 2012 DX for a ride once and was never happy with the softail after that.
Ron
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
FABSTER
GFYS

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Make sure not to "kick" into gears while shifting, be gentle and you'll see the "clunck" is not as hard. I've trained myself to do that on both my Softail and the V... still need to "train" my wife in doing so when she rides... will that ever be possible?
FABSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement