Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

What did you do to your V-Rod today

1M views 8K replies 930 participants last post by  2003 VRod Rider 
#1 ·
I noticed we didn't have one of these, and figured I'd make one. I mod on some car forums, and they are usually pretty interesting topics.

So did you mod, maintain, fix something?

Today
- I changed and bled the rear brakes (now its very very stiff hmmm)
- Relocated the rear signal to the shock mounts using a kit (required pulling the shock tops, rear fender, under-fender, cutting the under fender, and extending the wires)
- Installed the side-mount from Killervrod.... had to cut my plate smaller, but looks good. I didn't install the LED yet.
- Removed the Screaming Chicken exhaust and packed them up, getting TAB's this week

#953 ·
I tripped over a set of leather covered VRSCA bags with bracket for short money so I grabbed them and replaced the cheapie throw-over bags.
Thank God for search...I had no instructions and without them I never would have seen the part that I needed to make up (missing from the bracket). Without that part it just made no sense.

As I posted when I picked this bike up I am not modding so all I need is the stock mufflers to get here and I am DUN:cheers:

#955 ·
Rode it to work today. I alternate which bike I commute on and this week is the BMW's week for daily service. Last night I discovered a screw missing from one of the saddle bag brackets, rendering the bike useless for commuting.
So there is the V-Rod, slouching on it's side stand as if to say:
"So, yer fancy pants BMW let ya down, eh buddy?. I guess ya gotta ride me now, huh. Gotta ride the Harley cuz the BMW is broken" followed by laughter.
Good thing I have a V-Rod in the garage.

#956 ·
Stopped by a local dealer to take a look at helmets, this DOT law here in MI is killing me, it was a Honda/yam.... Dealer. When I pulled up, folks looked out the window at the rumble, but when I went in, no one talked to me. I was there for five mins then headed out, even slowed down to look at jet ski. Oh well, I enjoyed the road with my wife. Gave her a taste of take off at a light, and warned her, she damn near broke my ribs. Good fun. Time to ride some more. Have a good day all!

#957 ·
NUTHIN cuz it RAINED all GAWD'DAMNED day! :sad:

#958 ·
Me and Alex2494 took a ride to Delaware so my girlfriend could pick up her 2011 superlow sporty. On the way down it drizzle a few minutes and Alex with no full face helmet lol

#964 ·
Ordered my fairing from Airtech yesterday.

Made to order, 3 weeks for delivery - sigh - so the rest of the front end/fairing/brake lines/pdash on 7" Android project is on hold.

This is from a circa '86 Yamaha RZ350

The lines should fit the DX nicely. Unfortunately, the hole is for a 7" light, so theres some work to be done. Still looking for a "donor" DX takeoff faring, as I need the headlight mount to make this work the way I want it to.

If all goes as planned (which it SELDOM DOES), this will be a direct bolt-on, with nothing more than spacers under the stock headlight mounting bracket to move the headlight assembly forward. I talked to the guy at Airtech at length. He was telling me the "Vintage XLR" fairing bight be an "easier fit" with the same headlight bucket size, but agreed a good mod-up of the RZ fairing would end up coming out much nicer. We discussed making a mold of the mod'd fairing for a DX specific bolt-on. Unlike my taillight mod, I would make this one available commercially.

Was also considering the Woodcraft CFM Clipons, to go UNDER the triple tree (versus sliding the fork tubes up 2" to put the clamps on top. Of course, I'm gonna have to mod them as well to make an adjustable riser. Then make a new "riser" for the stock instrument cluster to LOWER it.

And on, and on, and on, and on...

I remember SWEARING that once I got the frikkin wheels on, this bike was DONE...

Sigh....

Rick

#967 ·
Was gonna wait til Tuesday to take the bike to am local shop to switch out the rear tire and rim with one I bought off the forums since mine has a dent and steel started to show yesterday. Was a bike night tonight so said f it and decided to try it myself.

Got to this point and thought I was in over my head but ended up getting it all back together and worked out fine. Ended up getting to the bike night. Then found that I'm missing the nut on my swing arm bolt.

#968 ·
Sunday I got the bike filthy riding around with iBike in a driving drizzle in the vicinity of Lake Arrowhead. Wet, foggy, cold, but we still had fun.
Got home to discover the brake light stuck on. Found the front lever was not operating the switch when released, so I had to loosen the screws on the switch pod and move things around until the lever contacted the switch fully. Then I cleaned the bike.
It was so windy in the desert Sunday, that as I was fiddling with the tail light, I heard this loud bang and looked out of the garage in time to see the neighbors wooden gate fly by. Most of it landed out by the side walk 25 feet or so from his fence line! It was quite a chore riding home from the mountains in that wind.

#969 ·
Crazy, those 2011 sporty wheels are way cool! Meanwhile, buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to throw down when you do stuff. No sense in working in the dirt! Believe me, I know! Most aramark or cintas will sell you a rubber backed 4 X 10 for 10 bucks. Beats laying in dirt! Joe

#971 ·
I put the stock muffs that I grabbed from a forum member on and took it to the store. I don't know if it will work, it is silly quiet now but I will give it some time. I can always throw the gutted ones back on if I don't like it.

#972 ·
I'm praying the stealership has a swing arm nut because after arriving at the bike night last night I noticed I was missing mine.

#976 ·
Me and Alex2494 put on his new undamaged pulley and relocated his switch for the trip off the gauge cluster to his horn cover.

#978 ·
My last tank of gas on the V got me 38mpg and that is strictly rush hour commuting to and from.

#980 ·
She Being Brand

she being Brand
-new;and you
know consequently a
little stiff I was
careful of her and (having
thoroughly oiled the universal
joint tested my gas felt of
her radiator made sure her springs were O.
K.)i went right to it flooded-the-carburetor cranked her
up,slipped the
clutch (and then somehow got into reverse she
kicked what
the hell) next
minute i was back in neutral tried and
again slo-wly;bare,ly nudg. ing(my
lev-er Right-
oh and her gears being in
A 1 shape passed
from low through
second-in-to-high like
greasedlightning) just as we turned the corner of Divinity
avenue i touched the accelerator and give
her the juice,good
(it
was the first ride and believe I we was
happy to see how nice and acted right up to
the last minute coming back down by the Public
Gardens I slammed on
the
internalexpanding
&
externalcontracting
breaks Bothatonce and
brought allofher tremB
-ling
to a:dead.
stand-
;Still)

#981 ·
Pulled it out for a pic after washing my car which I pulled out today for the first time this year...

#982 ·
I thought you were selling the Camaro? Get that thing on Meccum's Auto Auction or Barrett Jackson! It will sell in a heartbeat.

Nice ride by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.