Short Roadtrip and windshield problems - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCF
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Noyrt
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Short Roadtrip and windshield problems

We took a ride up to TN a couple weeks ago, and I just wanted to share my windshield mis-adventure. First I have the budmanriser kit, It works great. Kept the stock windshield on the bike after installing the riser kit. Most of my rides have been a hour or two locally and not really flat out on the highway or traveling, so never really noticed the issue... Big difference. When getting up to higher speeds I was getting a lot of buffeting off the windshield and it was beating the crap out of my head and making it hard to see. In short.... after about 2 hrs of this I was ready to take a hacksaw to the windshield and cut it in half, or throw it in the ditch..... My newphew was on his Muscle also and we swapped bikes for about 10 min...(no windshield on his). After that short amount of time he was ready to give it back..... so I had to do something about this...
Riding the other Muscle with no windshield was a lot different also. I got a huge amount of wind on the chest that really made you have to hang on against the wind pushing you back..... didn't like that so much either. So I had to find the compromise... between buffeting and wind tunnel testing.

Found the nearest store to buy an allen wrench and and crescent.
After a quick study I discovered I could flip the windshield upside down using the same concept of the 4 attach points. The fork clamps moved a little ouboard and the longer extension posts included in the Budman kit, allowed it to work. Bolts were obviously not in perfect and it looked goofy as hell, but man what a difference. So I was able to actually enjoy the ride the rest of the two days.. and just left it that way.

The windshield was up just enough to clear the bars, covered the headlight, and forks below the headlight... but it was smooth and nice after the flip... Blocked the air on the body but not the helmet. Made it great the rest of the trip... no problems with blocking airflow to the engine. So Now I need to improve the design. What windshield option to go with? Anyone else had similar experience?

I'm down to another windshield or the hacksaw...
Noyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Three options that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Rifle makes windshields that are of various heights for the F. You have to use your original mounting hardware.

2. Budman made me a pair of longer, custom "one-off" extenders that pushed my shield forward (i.e. more vertical), which solved about 90% of my buffeting issues. He may not be able to help, but it's an idea.

3. Cut the shield down where you have chest protection, but clear air for the helmet. If you have the skills, this may be the best idea.

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
Noyrt
Registered Full

Thanks for the reply FBJ
Thinking of cutting the shield down , Looking at some of the other shields also.
Would like to have a matching white DX headlight bracket/visor also, But as I found the part number, don't really want to pay $300 plus for it.

I'll figure it out...

Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
DannyCoolBeans
Registered Full

Yea the stock height of that windshield kicks my ass.
I was thinking bout going taller with Rifles replacement shields.

But Fly is right, if it was more vertical it’ll help
DannyCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #5
Noyrt
Registered Full

I'll let you know if i have any success cutting the shield down. Might be a couple weeks, I'm pretty slammed at work right now.. Hey FWIW,,, when I flipped the windscreen over it looked like Crap... but man, it was a nice smooth, no wind in the chest ride..
Ciao,,, Noyrt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement