LED Problems - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
JRuiz
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LED Problems

Alright guys, so I have a 14' NRS and I've been trying to install some damn LED lights on my bike because they're much brighter than the stock everything lol. But just nothing works like it should and its driving me crazy lol..

I have 3 LED strips.
1st LED Strip (Brake, Running light, L&R Turn signals.)
Only using this for a brake and running light, so I'm using 3 wires. Brake, running light, and ground. Which are on the brake light itself. After I spliced into the significant wires it worked fine.

Now this is where I'm having problems.
Then I have 2 LED strips which are turn signals, and a white running light (which I won't be using.) ground (black) wire, yellow wire (Yellow light), and white light (wont be using)

Now on the bike itself there are a total of 8 wires.
3 grounds = 2 Turn signals and 1 for the license plate light
1 grey wire = power for the license plate light
2 purple wires = constant/blinking
2 blue wires = constant/blinking

I connected the grounds together, then I connected the yellow wire
to the blue wire on the LEFT side of the bike and it would blink when the turn signal was on. okay. so then blue wire is turn signal.

I go to the RIGHT side of the bike and connect the yellow wire to the blue wire on the RIGHT side, and nothing happens when the turn signal is on. so I connect it to the purple wire, and then it blinks when its supposed to....

BUT, the left side is constantly ON (the turn signal icon on the gauge as well) the right side is OFF, but when I activate the turn signal it's like 10 times as bright..

Okay this was last week...

Today, I disconnected all the turn signal stuff because I had just been twisting wires and putting on electrical tape and wanted to use some crimp connections and shrink tube since I had the chance to buy it earlier today.

Now when I started connecting everything how it was, the turn signal would just not blink at all when the turn signal switch was on.. UGHHH, I gave up and put everything away because I ran out of light! Now i can't ride my bike til I get this sorted out cause I don't got turn signals

SOMEBODY PLS HELP ME..

P.S. I blew the 15A "Lights" fuse, replaced it with a 30A fuse
Then blew the 15A "ACCY" fuse, replaced it with the 30A fuse and put the 15A "Fuel pump" fuse in the "lights" hole because I ran out of fuses...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54458084_161468661436069_5953610917559140352_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	531743  
JRuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuiz View Post
Alright guys, so I have a 14' NRS and I've been trying to install some damn LED lights on my bike because they're much brighter than the stock everything lol. But just nothing works like it should and its driving me crazy lol..

I have 3 LED strips.
1st LED Strip (Brake, Running light, L&R Turn signals.)
Only using this for a brake and running light, so I'm using 3 wires. Brake, running light, and ground. Which are on the brake light itself. After I spliced into the significant wires it worked fine.

Now this is where I'm having problems.
Then I have 2 LED strips which are turn signals, and a white running light (which I won't be using.) ground (black) wire, yellow wire (Yellow light), and white light (wont be using)

Now on the bike itself there are a total of 8 wires.
3 grounds = 2 Turn signals and 1 for the license plate light
1 grey wire = power for the license plate light
2 purple wires = constant/blinking
2 blue wires = constant/blinking

I connected the grounds together, then I connected the yellow wire
to the blue wire on the LEFT side of the bike and it would blink when the turn signal was on. okay. so then blue wire is turn signal.

I go to the RIGHT side of the bike and connect the yellow wire to the blue wire on the RIGHT side, and nothing happens when the turn signal is on. so I connect it to the purple wire, and then it blinks when its supposed to....

BUT, the left side is constantly ON (the turn signal icon on the gauge as well) the right side is OFF, but when I activate the turn signal it's like 10 times as bright..

Okay this was last week...

Today, I disconnected all the turn signal stuff because I had just been twisting wires and putting on electrical tape and wanted to use some crimp connections and shrink tube since I had the chance to buy it earlier today.

Now when I started connecting everything how it was, the turn signal would just not blink at all when the turn signal switch was on.. UGHHH, I gave up and put everything away because I ran out of light! Now i can't ride my bike til I get this sorted out cause I don't got turn signals

SOMEBODY PLS HELP ME..

P.S. I blew the 15A "Lights" fuse, replaced it with a 30A fuse
Then blew the 15A "ACCY" fuse, replaced it with the 30A fuse and put the 15A "Fuel pump" fuse in the "lights" hole because I ran out of fuses...
First, the solution to a blown fuse isn't to replace it with a larger value. Stick to 15 A fuses for both the LIGHTS and ACCY fuse. You're blowing fuses because you're connecting the circuits to ground. Using a 30 A fuse will just lead to melted wire insulation or worse. You shouldn't be using the ACCY circuit unless you have an international model bike, so this fuse shouldn't ever blow. Remember to remove the MAIN fuse (located behind the upper right side cover) before working on the bike and only replace it when you're ready to test your modifications.

Concerning your wiring:
The two blue wires aren't constant/blinking. Those come from the LIGHTS fuse and are always hot when the ignition switch is turned to IGN. The two purple (Harley calls it violet) wires come from the TSM/TSSM/HFSM blinker outputs and are always blinking, never constant.

Your first strip that you want to use as a brake/running light should connect to the 4-place tail light "Multilock" connectors. These connectors should have the following wire colors and be connected as follows:
chassis side / lights side
  1. BE (blue) to BE = lights circuit (connect to LED running light +)
  2. O/W (orange with white stripe) to nothing on domestic bikes / O/W on European bikes = accessory circuit (don't use)
  3. R/Y (red with yellow stripe) to R/Y = brake light circuit (connect to LED brake light +)
  4. BK (black) to BK = ground on front cylinder head (connect to both running and brake LED grounds)

The other two LED strips that you want to use as blinkers only should be connected to the 6-place rear signal "Multilock" connectors. These connectors should have the following wire colors and be connected as follows:
  1. BE to BE = lights circuit (don't use)
  2. BK to BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
  3. BN (brown) to V (violet) = right side blinker +
  4. BK to BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
  5. V to V = left side blinker +
  6. BK to BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)

Update for international models:
Where are you? Is your bike domestic US or international?

The domestic VRSCDX in 2014 had LED rear lights with a OEM STT (stop/tail/turnsignal) module so I don't know why you would add LED strips. If you have an international bike I need to modify the above info.

Your first strip that you want to use as a brake/running light should connect to the 4-place tail light "Multilock" connectors. These connectors should have the following wire colors and be connected as follows:
  1. BE (blue) to nothing on international bikes = lights circuit (don't use)
  2. O/W (orange with white stripe) to W (white) on international bikes = accessory circuit (connect to LED running light +)
  3. R/Y (red with yellow stripe) to R (red) = brake light circuit (connect to LED brake light +)
  4. BK (black) to BK = ground on front cylinder head (connect to both running and brake LED grounds)

The other two LED strips that you want to use as blinkers only should be connected to the 6-place rear signal "Multilock" connectors. These connectors should have the following wire colors and be connected as follows:chassis side / lights side
  1. BE to BK = lights circuit for license plate lights (don't use)
  2. BK to BK = ground on front cylinder head (for license plate lights)
  3. BN (brown) to V (violet) = right side blinker +
  4. BK to BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
  5. V to V = left side blinker +
  6. BK to BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
Here's a picture showing the VRSC lighting circuits for 2013 that should be the same as yours:

Last edited by stever975; 03-21-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added additional info for international models and schematics
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
JRuiz
Registered Full

Sorry been super busy with school to come back to this.
I have a domestic 2014 nrs, I'm using the LED strips as a way to get rid of the dogs ass plastic thing and the OEM turn signals. I wanted to add the extra brake, running light, just to have an extra source of light in the back since the OEM brake light is kind of small.

Sorry I'm kind of a noob with this stuff, but some of the colors that you were saying don't come out to the connections for the dogs ass or the OEM brake light. For example O/W. I found a brown with that ends at the connector for the dogs ass, but on the opposite side (going to the dogs ass it's purple)
JRuiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a domestic 2014 nrs, I'm using the LED strips as a way to get rid of the dogs ass plastic thing and the OEM turn signals. I wanted to add the extra brake, running light, just to have an extra source of light in the back since the OEM brake light is kind of small.

Sorry I'm kind of a noob with this stuff, but some of the colors that you were saying don't come out to the connections for the dogs ass or the OEM brake light. For example O/W. I found a brown with that ends at the connector for the dogs ass, but on the opposite side (going to the dogs ass it's purple)
You can't use the wires that come from the STT module and go to the "Dog's Ass" and OEM brake light. You need to use the 6-place Multilock for the turn signals and the 4-place Multilock for the brake and running lights that plug into the STT module. These connectors should have wire colors on the chassis side as I show in the last two sections of Post #2 before the wiring diagram image and repeated here:
4-place Multilock taillamp connector (chassis side):
  1. BE (blue) = lights circuit (connect to LED running light +)
  2. O/W (orange with white stripe) = accessory circuit (don’t use)
  3. R/Y (red with yellow stripe) = brake light circuit (connect to LED brake light +)
  4. BK (black) = ground on front cylinder head (connect to both running and brake LED grounds)
6-place Multilock taillamp connector (chassis side):
  1. BE = lights circuit for license plate lights (don't use)
  2. BK = ground on front cylinder head (for license plate lights)
  3. BN (brown) = right side blinker +
  4. BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
  5. V = left side blinker +
  6. BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
Quote:

You can't use the wires that come from the STT module and go to the "Dog's Ass" and OEM brake light. You need to use the 6-place Multilock for the turn signals and the 4-place Multilock for the brake and running lights that plug into the STT module. These connectors should have wire colors on the chassis side as I show in the last two sections of Post #2 before the wiring diagram image and repeated here:
4-place Multilock taillamp connector (chassis side):
  1. BE (blue) = lights circuit (connect to LED running light +)
  2. O/W (orange with white stripe) = accessory circuit (don’t use)
  3. R/Y (red with yellow stripe) = brake light circuit (connect to LED brake light +)
  4. BK (black) = ground on front cylinder head (connect to both running and brake LED grounds)
6-place Multilock taillamp connector (chassis side):
  1. BE = lights circuit for license plate lights (don't use)
  2. BK = ground on front cylinder head (for license plate lights)
  3. BN (brown) = right side blinker +
  4. BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
  5. V = left side blinker +
  6. BK = ground on front cylinder head (can be used as one LED blinker ground)
Steve,

I have a similar issue. I have a 13NRS that had (unknown brand) rear fender eliminator installed. The LED strip of the fender eliminator kit had four wires:

Black - ground
Red - Power
Yellow - right turn
Thin yellow - left turn

Why can't they make these kits with the factory colored wires?

There obviously was no harness, just wires. So the previous owner had cut the 6 prong harness off the OEM dogs ass and removed the STT module. Then they spliced the kits wires to the OEM harness from the dogs ass. They were wired like this:

OEM harness - LED strip:
1. Blue - Red (this was ALSO spliced to the red wire on the brake/tail four prong plug)
2. Black - not used
3. Violet - Yellow (right turn)
4. Black - not used
5. Violet - thin Yellow (left)
6. Black - Black

The LED strip only lit up when turn signals were activated. Amber lights, so no brake light, but also no running light. I believe the license plate lights were wired into the brake/tail light. Can't remember, as I clipped those and moved my plate to the side.

Their wiring job was an absolute shit show, and when I saw it, my OCD had a seizure. Plus, I wanted running lights and wanted to see if I could rewire it. I have a service manual, electric diagnostics manual, and parts manual for my bike. So I THOUGHT I had it figured out.

Clipped the wires they had crudely spliced. (God it looked like a horror movie rather than a wiring job.) I tried a few configurations to get running lights and turn signals, but nothing worked.

Figured I could at least clean up their wiring job, so I wired it back like they had it, and now my brake light stays on no matter what and I have no turn signals, LOL. FML

The factory STT Module was already removed. I've read you need this for running lamps. But I've also read you HAVE to remove it to install LED rear turns. I've read threads until I'm dizzy and am more confused than when I started.

I can't figure out how they got turns to work, why they spliced into the brake/taillight harness as well as the turn signal harness, and now why NONE of the LED strip lights up at all, yet, my brake light stays on all the time.

Any ideas? I was looking at the kit from Altered State, but Kieth said he thought I needed to have the factory STT module to make it work. I don't feel like burning another $100 on a STT module, plus $160 for another fender eliminator kit. I'm frustrated, because I, too, am unable to ride till I get this sorted.

Thanks.
Mr. Orange 645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #6
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
...I have a 13NRS that had (unknown brand) rear fender eliminator installed. The LED strip of the fender eliminator kit had four wires:

Black - ground
Red - Power
Yellow - right turn
Thin yellow - left turn

There obviously was no harness, just wires. So the previous owner had cut the 6 prong harness off the OEM dogs ass and removed the STT module. Then they spliced the kits wires to the OEM harness from the dogs ass. They were wired like this:

OEM harness - LED strip:
1. Blue - Red (this was ALSO spliced to the red wire on the brake/tail four prong plug)
2. Black - not used
4. Black - not used
6. Black - Black

The LED strip only lit up when turn signals were activated. Amber lights, so no brake light, but also no running light. I believe the license plate lights were wired into the brake/tail light. Can't remember, as I clipped those and moved my plate to the side.

Their wiring job was an absolute shit show, and when I saw it, my OCD had a seizure. Plus, I wanted running lights and wanted to see if I could rewire it. I have a service manual, electric diagnostics manual, and parts manual for my bike. So I THOUGHT I had it figured out.

Clipped the wires they had crudely spliced. (God it looked like a horror movie rather than a wiring job.) I tried a few configurations to get running lights and turn signals, but nothing worked.

Figured I could at least clean up their wiring job, so I wired it back like they had it, and now my brake light stays on no matter what and I have no turn signals, LOL. FML

The factory STT Module was already removed. I've read you need this for running lamps. But I've also read you HAVE to remove it to install LED rear turns. I've read threads until I'm dizzy and am more confused than when I started.

I can't figure out how they got turns to work, why they spliced into the brake/taillight harness as well as the turn signal harness, and now why NONE of the LED strip lights up at all, yet, my brake light stays on all the time.

Any ideas? I was looking at the kit from Altered State, but Kieth said he thought I needed to have the factory STT module to make it work. I don't feel like burning another $100 on a STT module, plus $160 for another fender eliminator kit. I'm frustrated, because I, too, am unable to ride till I get this sorted.

Thanks.
The reason your brake light is on all the time (based on your description) is that you connected the brake light to a constant 12 V power source (the 1. blue wire of the OEM harness. I question though that it was a red wire on the brake/tail four prong plug. That plug doesn't have a red wire. It's red with a yellow stripe and it goes to the brake light. To fix this remove the connection to the blue wire. The brake light should only connect to the red with yellow stripe wire for one feed and a black ground for the other feed.

I'm not sure why your turn signals aren't working. To see if the turn signals work, try connecting 12 V positive to either the yellow or thin yellow with the black connected to ground. This should light up the turn signal lights. The two violet wires (one at 3. And one at 5.) should be the blinker feeds, (however, the OEM Harley connector has a brown wire at 3. not a violet wire). These should cause the turn signals to blink if connected, as you mention, to the yellow and thin yellow wires. Without the STT module, you could end up with rapid blinking turn signals due to the low load of the LED lights.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
...I have a 13NRS that had (unknown brand) rear fender eliminator installed. The LED strip of the fender eliminator kit had four wires:

Black - ground
Red - Power
Yellow - right turn
Thin yellow - left turn

OEM harness - LED strip:
2. Black - not used
4. Black - not used
6. Black - Black

Thanks.
The reason your brake light is on all the time (based on your description) is that you connected the brake light to a constant 12 V power source (the 1. blue wire of the OEM harness. I question though that it was a red wire on the brake/tail four prong plug. That plug doesn't have a red wire. It's red with a yellow stripe and it goes to the brake light. To fix this remove the connection to the blue wire. The brake light should only connect to the red with yellow stripe wire for one feed and a black ground for the other feed.

I'm not sure why your turn signals aren't working. To see if the turn signals work, try connecting 12 V positive to either the yellow or thin yellow with the black connected to ground. This should light up the turn signal lights. The two violet wires (one at 3. And one at 5.) should be the blinker feeds, (however, the OEM Harley connector has a brown wire at 3. not a violet wire). These should cause the turn signals to blink if connected, as you mention, to the yellow and thin yellow wires. Without the STT module, you could end up with rapid blinking turn signals due to the low load of the LED lights.
I'll try testing them tomorrow night. My battery is currently on the charger as I left the ignition switch on, so it died.

The res wire to the brake light could have a yellow line, I'll look again, but it's definitely the factory plug from the chassis side. Maybe it only has a yellow line after the STT module.

The other harness definitely has two Violet wires instead of one Violet, one brown. I thought it was weird too, as I have all the manuals, but it's also the factory harness and wires, so who knows.

I never had fast flashing, but there's a small resister on the red wire for the lights, so that's probably why.

Looks like I'll be looking for a used STT module if I want full functionality though, and probably new lights as well. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

@steve,

I just found a used STT module for $60 so I snagged it. That's the cheapest one I've found by far. I'll test my lights when my battery is charged, but I have a feeling they're toast somehow. I'll buy the set from Altered State if that's the case.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

Update. Got the factory STT module in from Mototech271, and the new fender eliminator kit in from Altered Designs (thanks, Keith!). Went to install them and noticed the new LED strip plug doesn't fit the factory plug on the STT module. After finding the instructions, the first instruction says to remove the factory STT module, because it isn't needed!! Well that was a waste of $65. I removed the STT module, plugged in the new LED strip and VOILÁ! I have running lights, brake lights, and turn signals!

On a side note, fiddled around with the wiring on the old strip I had. I basically completely redid the wiring, and got it working, though it just does turn signals, not running light or brakes. So I'll be selling it as a plug and play kit and will also sell my STT module. Maybe recoup some of my money from my stupid errors, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement