Power Vision Gauges - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCF
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #16
NexVision
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Having the issue on a 2011 NRS was going to try shortening the cable but I know if I send to them they want cable as well and they will just blame that. Will throw in freezer and see if resolves if not sending back to dynojet.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
011 Night Rod Special VRSCDX
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NexVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 AM   #17
pandemonium
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
I say try the freezer trick. It's free and I have had zero issues since (just did about 400 miles this weekend with no dropouts/etc).
No issues of moisture/etc? Thinking it'd be best to ziplock it before putting it into the freezer... already spent a fortune on the bike, can't afford to have this go down the drain! Hope you understand my reluctance.

To ride, or not to ride... THAT is the question!

'16 Sand Camo VRSCF
Stage 1 (Dynojet PV, K&N Air filter, Akro 2into1).
Semi-Topless (front edge cut off).
Dynojet Target Tune.
Daymaker LED headlight.
280 Metz on stock rim.
Other bits I can't be arsed to list!
pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pretty sure if you need to throw it into the freezer to solve some form of internal connection issue, it would be a short term fix, if at all. There is still a problem with the unit. I'm going on my 6th year now, running full time on a hard mount and not a single glitch. I'd sure miss it if it crapped out now as it's part of the bike. I like to view the extra signals and run a random log the odd time for the hell of it.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #19
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

I'm having the same issue. All the guaged except voltage go blank. I have moved the cable every where I can think of. Left side, right side, uncoiled it and ran it in a long loop down the left side just under the air box cover and back.

I have completed a factory reset/recovery, Made sure it was up to date, everything.

I even pulled the cable out and just slung it over my arm so it would be as far away from any electrical interference as possible.

Nothing helps. After a few minutes it goes blank. I have to exit out of guages and go back to them to get it working again.

I'm stumped and frustrated. I'm going to order a new cable and I guess stick the unit in the freezer for a while.

The unit was on the bike when I bought it and the problem as been present since I first rode it home. The units out of warranty so I can't just send it in.

I just added a Target Tune, and really want to get this working to take full advantage of the PV and the TT.
Mr. Orange 645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #20
stevemcgov
Registered Full

I had a faulty out of warranty pV5- Sent it in for repair- it was unrepairable. The offered me new powervision at a $200.00 discount. If you get a repair order and send it in maybe they will offer you a deep discount on a new powervision?
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
MAR-VEL
Registered Full

Got my PV a few weeks ago (2015 muscle ) same thing as you guys , I haven't re routed the cable yet but reading all the posts that docent seem to fix the problem , I haven't done the freezer thing yet . The original post was two years ago I'm guessing this problem has been going on a lot longer than that , so you would think dyno tune would have found a solution by now . bought mine from Fuel Moto Im going to give them a call see If they have any ideas , If not I might just ask for a replacement .
MAR-VEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #22
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAR-VEL View Post
Got my PV a few weeks ago (2015 muscle ) same thing as you guys , I haven't re routed the cable yet but reading all the posts that docent seem to fix the problem , I haven't done the freezer thing yet . The original post was two years ago I'm guessing this problem has been going on a lot longer than that , so you would think dyno tune would have found a solution by now . bought mine from Fuel Moto Im going to give them a call see If they have any ideas , If not I might just ask for a replacement .
Don't think it's cable issue. No cable fixes have really worked for the screen going blank . Likely the unit itself or firmware, leaning toward unit. I've been running mine full time for 5 years , nothing special regarding cable, as in no shielding and it's been rock solid. A couple years ago there were a lot of these units blanking out. Not so much any more. Leads me to believe a bad batch within a certain manufacturing date possibly. My unit is a 2013 build.
Ron
Old 08-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #23
Mr. Orange 645
Registered Full

I'm on the latest firmware, so it's not the firmware.

And I tried the freezer trick. No joy. I never expected it to work, but I'm desperate, LOL.

I've reached out to DynoJet and MotoFuel for advice and waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I may order a new cable, but I highly doubt that's it.

There's literally no other way to route either the Target Tune or the PowerVision cables, so if it is RF or EMI interference, then I don't know what to do.

I guess I'll await responses from DynoJet and MotoFuel.
Mr. Orange 645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
I'm on the latest firmware, so it's not the firmware.

And I tried the freezer trick. No joy. I never expected it to work, but I'm desperate, LOL.

I've reached out to DynoJet and MotoFuel for advice and waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I may order a new cable, but I highly doubt that's it.

There's literally no other way to route either the Target Tune or the PowerVision cables, so if it is RF or EMI interference, then I don't know what to do.

I guess I'll await responses from DynoJet and MotoFuel.
Can't comment on the latest firmware. I learned long ago updates can cause issues so only did one update. Even that screwed on how the MPG was reset from previous. I don't believe firmware is the problem, as so many have no issues. It's most likely the unit itself. Def not RF or EMI as was commonly thought when the problem first surfaced. Fuel Moto is well aware of this problem. Don't let them bs you otherwise.
Ron
Old 08-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #25
freudie1
Registered Full

It's a memory corruption issue (at least it was in my case). It would no longer boot up completely.

The "freezer trick" is really a way to get the boot loader to a state (probably wiped out) that you can reload it (i.e. recovery firmware) and then update to the latest.

I will say that BEFORE my PV would not boot any more I would get the no data/gauges situation.

In my case I believe it was due to the fact that my PV is on the bike permanently and despite living in the attached garage when not ridden, the temperatures were too low that winter causing the corruption issue. NOTE: The year after that happened I had my garage insulated (injected into walls) and above the garage in the attic. Since then temps never get to freezing temps (especially when I work in the shop and run the Hot Dawg heater as well).

Long story short...I suspect an incorrectly spec'd memory chip or two that can't handle extreme temps.

One more item of mention:

I don't think the "interference" theory is sound when it comes to these devices. I tried routing the cable every way to Sunday including holding the cable perpendicular to the bike (and 10 feet away from the bike) with zero change. I even tried multiple clip on style ferrite balls...no change. NOTE: The data cables I sell with my ABS flush product are shielded, but not at a small section of the actual Deutsch connector....no "interference" issues ever detected (and I have TONS of hours testing J1850 and CAN bus traffic with various types of cables/devices/etc).

Last edited by freudie1; 08-13-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: More info
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement