The modifications begin..... - Page 4 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCF
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #46
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Locking gas cap: Stant 10501. It's a little wider and a little taller but seems to clear just fine. Hopefully, it will work as well with the Bitchin' seat.

On my R I had a locking Corbin seat that I got used to unlocking when I refueled. This is simply for peace of mind-- it's not that I think somone will steal my gas (although at $5+ a gallon.....), but it's to prevent some mouth breather from screwing with my bike when jealousy rears it's ugly head. $13 is cheap insurance to prevent said nipplehead from ruining my day by pouring his beer (or whatever) in the tank.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stant.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	189981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caps together.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	189982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caps together2.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	189983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locking cap.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	189984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locking cap2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	189985  

Name:	Stock cap.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	189986  
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #47
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Budman's riser: 0.75" rise, 2.0" pullback. NO change in cables required. Budman's instructions tell you to loosen the clutch/brake cable at the reservoir and pivot them to make enough cable to move the bars to full lock, but I found that wasn't necesessary. Instead, I removed the left side grill cover and rerouted the wiring OVER the brake and clutch line. by popping the wire quick disconnects, I was able to thread the wires on top of the stainless lines-- it gave me just enough slack that I didn't have to loosen anything up at the reservoirs.

As far as the riser itself goes? Fit and finish are FANTASTIC-- and it feels unbelievably better in comparison to the clamshell riding position. I have a fused spine, so I really REALLY needed some relief. This did it-- it was a different bike from the moment I started to ride. The pictures really don't do it justice-- it looks great in person and appears essentially stock on the bike-- you wouldn't know it wasn't supposed to be there if you didn't know any better.

I'm going to install a '12 DX shield to make the front flow a bit better, but I kindofsortof forgot to order the longer bolts that are required for mounting so that project's on hold for a few days. Whoops.

It's worth noting that I tried Hanny's riser (which is for sale in the Classifieds section). Nice product, but you get all up, no back-- which wasn't working for my specific case. Honestly? If you're feeling stretched forward on the bike at all, do not walk but RUN to your computer and PM Budman.

It's that good.

R.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Riser1.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	189987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riser2.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	189988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riser3.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	189989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riser4.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	189990  
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #48
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Pivot bolt covers: I've always felt that these should come stock on the bike. I got unbelievably lucky and managed to source the last set of Superchicken's swingarm covers on the planet. The quality is top notch, and HD wishes they could make parts like this.

My deepest thanks to Superchicken!

R.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swingarm bolt.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	189991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superchicken.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	189992  

Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #49
BT
Good Muthafarka

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Pivot bolt covers: I've always felt that these should come stock on the bike. I got unbelievably lucky and managed to source the last set of Superchicken's swingarm covers on the planet. The quality is top notch, and HD wishes they could make parts like this.

My deepest thanks to Superchicken!

R.
No engraving on them ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #50
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tony View Post
No engraving on them ?
I thought about it but didn't for several reasons.

1: The covers are just press-fit with an o-ring and can rotate fairly easily. Keeping the engraving horizontal would have driven me to distraction.

2. They're very close to the derby and pulley covers which are busy enough with writing.

3. I have Bicep's VRSCF fork leg badges. The bike would have gotten too crowded.

4. I can always change my mind later.

5. They match my unengraved front and rear bolt covers.

R.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #51
BT
Good Muthafarka

Quote:
I thought about it but didn't for several reasons.

1: The covers are just press-fit with an o-ring and can rotate fairly easily. Keeping the engraving horizontal would have driven me to distraction.

2. They're very close to the derby and pulley covers which are busy enough with writing.

3. I have Bicep's VRSCF fork leg badges. The bike would have gotten too crowded.

4. I can always change my mind later.

5. They match my unengraved front and rear bolt covers.

R.
Fair nuff !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #52
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Important safety tip of the day:

If you're going to relocate your passenger footpegs and use AW brackets to do so, here's something to consider:

Said brackets have a small metal tab on the inside where the pivot point is. The stock pegs have a groove in them that matches said tab so when you fold the pegs back, they seat flush.

Aftermarket pegs (at least RSD and Joker Machine) don't have this groove, so if you don't do anything the pegs won't sit flush when folded.

You'd think the obvious solution would be to dremel off the tab. You'd be right except for one thing. THE BIKE IS NOT REPEAT NOT SYMMETRICAL. I knew this, but didn't factor it in when I fired up the dremel. The left shock mount is actually extended out to make clearance for the belt and drive. Which means that if you dremel the tabs on the bracket's symmetrically you've just screwed yourself.

THAT was a $120 mistake.

On a completely unrealted note, anyone interested in some AW brackets with the tabs dremeled off?

Sigh.

Learn from my mistakes, Grasshopper.

And the REALLY irritating thing? I realized what and why about two milliseconds after I fitted the left passenger peg. Whoops.

R.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #53
BT
Good Muthafarka

Ask Watto about dremmel adventures......

Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #54
watto883
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ha ha .... the dremmel jokes never get old !!!
Hey like the tips turned down and man LOVE the pivot covers !!!
2010 Muscle / SERT / Tab slipons / KandN filter / airbrushed levers and horn / RSD grips / DX radiator hose, clutch cover, mirrors / tail tidy / Pirelli Nightdragons / Bicep's fork badges and front axel covers / Hanny's 1" risers / R&R headlight visor / Rizoma front indicators / Flipped and strapless !!!
watto883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #55
watto883
Registered Full

by the way , did Bicep ever do pivot covers ???
2010 Muscle / SERT / Tab slipons / KandN filter / airbrushed levers and horn / RSD grips / DX radiator hose, clutch cover, mirrors / tail tidy / Pirelli Nightdragons / Bicep's fork badges and front axel covers / Hanny's 1" risers / R&R headlight visor / Rizoma front indicators / Flipped and strapless !!!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #56
BT
Good Muthafarka

He did a limited run......

Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #57
Ear2Ear
FFFWD

Quote:
A few side pics of the exhaust tips downturned. This is a temp fix until I get the TAB slipon's installed. Looks far better than having the tips angled to the side imho.

R.
I did this for a time before I got my Bassani's. I like the look. However, I soon found out that they would scrape this way before my footpegs would touch down so I turned 'em back out to save what was left. Just sayin'... Caveat emptor! If you ride anything like I do they will scrape first!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
(when traveling), BICEP
/
/
, RRC visor over HIDs w/
, reduced-reach handlebars, +4" Rifle windshield (when traveling),

-

2003 Ducati 999 Track Bike
Ear2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #58
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ear2Ear View Post
I did this for a time before I got my Bassani's. I like the look. However, I soon found out that they would scrape this way before my footpegs would touch down so I turned 'em back out to save what was left. Just sayin'... Caveat emptor! If you ride anything like I do they will scrape first!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
When I went out riding with a few of my buddys last week, they said that it looked like I was almost dragging them-- I thought they were nuts since I figured the peg squealers would go firest.

Whoops. Might want to reconsider this.

Besides-- it looks like my M3 is about to be sold, which will help accelerate the modification plan.

R.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #59
watto883
Registered Full

oh man sure there enough in budget now For some Forced induction !!!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #60
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watto883 View Post
oh man sure there enough in budget now For some Forced induction !!!
Been there, done that. I put a blower on a race-prepped Solara a while back and ended up having to work directly with TRD and their race team to design a one-off small-diameter pulley and then a serpentine belt tension system because the smaller pulley caused belt slip.

Living at 6000'? It's not worth it. Too hard to get the compression up enough to make meaningul power (at least on a supercharger). Not enough bang for the buck, and then once you do get things working at altitude, you're well and truly screwed if you go down to sea level.

Floor it anywhere other than Denver? Kaboom.

Nope, I'm happy with incremental changes.

(although I will admit that I'm going to miss the M3-- that car was FUN in the twisties. I left the motor mostly alone, but it had a suspension that would let you corner at insane speeds without losing adhesion).

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement