Fuel module assembly - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
MikeSez
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel module assembly

My 04 has a reoccurring issue with a connection in the fuel module.
There is a black fuel line running from the pump to the upper plastic flange. A stainless plug in connector connects the fuel line to the flange. The stainless connector keeps working it self loose and disconnecting from the flange. It appears to have a tight connection when I reconnect it, only to come loose later. Is there some solution for this? I was thinking of coating the connector with black gasket maker but don't know if it can hold up with exposure to fuel. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSez View Post
My 04 has a reoccurring issue with a connection in the fuel module.
There is a black fuel line running from the pump to the upper plastic flange. A stainless plug in connector connects the fuel line to the flange. The stainless connector keeps working it self loose and disconnecting from the flange. It appears to have a tight connection when I reconnect it, only to come loose later. Is there some solution for this? I was thinking of coating the connector with black gasket maker but don't know if it can hold up with exposure to fuel. Any suggestions?
For sure gasket maker would not be a good choice. Can you send a pic?
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
MikeSez
Registered Full

I pushed the attachment back in to the flange and reassembled it. So sorry no pics. It took some force to fully insert it and I could not pull it out with my bare fingers, so I'm baffled why it keeps coming loose and creating a leak and loss of fuel pressure. It reads at 59 after reinserting the attachment. According to my local stealer, individual parts aren't available but they may be able to find another complete unit.

assemby.theres slack in the fuel line

Old 10-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I pushed the attachment back in to the flange and reassembled it. So sorry no pics. It took some force to fully insert it and I could not pull it out with my bare fingers, so I'm baffled why it keeps coming loose and creating a leak and loss of fuel pressure. It reads at 59 after reinserting the attachment. According to my local stealer, individual parts aren't available but they may be able to find another complete unit.

assemby.theres slack in the fuel line
Don't use any form of gasket sealer and silicones. Get a better clamp or something. Pics would be good to identify what's going on.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I don’t think there are any push on fittings inside the tank, only the 2 on the top going to and from the regulator/injectors. Everything in the tank is clamped, I think. You may be able to clean the connection area and use some appropriate epoxy, one that works on plastic , to glue the tube in. The stainless tube you are dealing with is normally pressed or glued into the flange. Could be wrong, it’s been a while since I had a look at one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
MikeSez
Registered Full

Sounds like you have messed around with it too. The metal connector joins the upper plastic flange cap to the fuel line .

The metal connector is securely clamped to the top of the fuel line. It presses into the top flange where it connects to one of the 2 lines leading out of the tank.

The damn metal connector keeps coming out of the flange cap causing fuel pressure loss.

I did not take any pics because I popped it back in tightly (again) and reassembled the tank.

I realise this will happen again because its happened twice now.It looks like the PO addressed it once before. I looked up diagrams on Ronnie's and in my service manual but the diagrams do not show the affected area and the parts are not individually available.

I think my best choice is to try to find some kind of adhesive that will hold the metal connector into the plastic flange cap.

Otherwise the whole assembly will have to be purchased for $347.
And that ain't happening.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED. SEE THE LAST PARAGRAPH FOR CHANGES.
'
Looking at the parts diagram there appears to be two hoses.
1. Pump to Filter (18)
2. Filter to fuel outlet. (19)
'
Those hoses need clamps of some sort at each end to keep the 60lbs pressure from popping them off.

I Believe the clamps are Oetiker clamps listed as item 5 (pn 10239) in the parts manual. These clamps require a special tool to secure them. It can be purchased at most Auto Parts stores for about $10-$11. At least I did.
The next time you have the unit out of the bike take a look at what is securing the fuel lines to the filter and pump and get one of those clamps for the top piece.
'
I have edited this post to be more specific about the tool and where you can get it.
I purchased the tool at Advance Auto Parts but I believe you should be able to get it at any auto parts store because of its applicability.
It is called a "CV Joint Boot Clamp Pliers"
The 4th picture shows the tool and its relationship to a clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	850.2 KB
ID:	534339   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	788.1 KB
ID:	534341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oetiker Clamp CrimpingTool.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	534345   Click image for larger version

Name:	oetiker clamp tool 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	534347  

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
MikeSez
Registered Full

The fuel line from the pump to outlet is the one. The top of that fuel line is crimped to a steel plug which is pushed into the flange. The fuel leaves the pump, travels up the line, enters this steel plug and exits the gas tank to the motor.The upper clamp you mention connects to the steel part that is causing all the trouble.. its well connected, it's just the steel connector keeps dropping out of the flange cap.

I understand how this can be hard to visualize especially without pics or a diagram showing the part but I guess the bottom line is Can I use a gas resistant adhesive to keep this steel plug mounted inside the flange ?
And if so, any brand or specific type? The steel plug isn't submerged in the gas, but it may be exposed to gas fumes.

You mentioned the pressure of the fuel passing through and both times I was at 100+ mph when it disconnected. I guess I can hope for the best and pray it doesn't pop out again 100 miles from home.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #9
MikeSez
Registered Full

Ok got it. There's a service bulletin on this. I checked last time but was told I was out of the vin range. Needs a new flange. I am out of the range but I guess Harley knows it was their screw up. There's a DIY
Fix I can try if harley won't fix. So off to the dealer I guess.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
MikeSez
Registered Full

Just thought I'd post the results of my attempt to get a service bulletin repair done on my bike. Dealer said no, I called Harley , filed a claim, they said no. Dealer called me and told me they would be happy to repair Harleys screw up....for $ 430 dollars

My last bike was a Kawasaki 1500
They paid 100% to rebuild the motor after a oil pump failure. 13 YEARS AFTER I BOUGHT IT. !!! and a stupid
Hose clamp they admit they badly designed WELL, too bad for me. So I will fix it my self and this is my last go around with Harley Davidson. I spent 150 bucks to repair another Harley screw up on this bike. Once again, their admitted screw up, my wallet.

Too many other great bikes out their made by people who care and who actually TRY A LITTLE BIT.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Just thought I'd post the results of my attempt to get a service bulletin repair done on my bike. Dealer said no, I called Harley , filed a claim, they said no. Dealer called me and told me they would be happy to repair Harleys screw up....for $ 430 dollars

My last bike was a Kawasaki 1500
They paid 100% to rebuild the motor after a oil pump failure. 13 YEARS AFTER I BOUGHT IT. !!! and a stupid
Hose clamp they admit they badly designed WELL, too bad for me. So I will fix it my self and this is my last go around with Harley Davidson. I spent 150 bucks to repair another Harley screw up on this bike. Once again, their admitted screw up, my wallet.

Too many other great bikes out their made by people who care and who actually TRY A LITTLE BIT.
I agree, it's the biggest down side to owning a Harley. Deny everything and fk the customer is the standard MO. As v rod owners most of us know how useless dealers are anyway generally and make an effort to have the book and tools to cover anything that comes up. Dealer has never seen my bike since I bought it in 2013. I've bought the odd part but that's it. Even that, I'm finding other sources for parts so they don't see my money at the dealer.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
MikeSez
Registered Full

Yep, I learned quick about this bike
And HD dealers. The MoCo ain't no Angel's either. Thankfully, With the help of you and others who are on
This blog and always willingly help us all out, we get by. And you guys dont even charge.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #13
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I remember the fuel flange fiasco now that you mention it. It has been such a long time since someone else complained about it I never thought there might still be bikes out there with the problem.
Fuel Flange 75173-01 has been replaced with 75173-01A (2006). The new one is still available from Harley dealers supposedly.
'
Both NewCastle HD and Surdyke HD show it as being available Somewhere around $200.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #14
MikeSez
Registered Full

There's a fix on here I read about in which you tap the existing flange and screw in a 1/8 NPT male pipe with a 5/16 hose barb and connect it to the fuel line. I am looking in town for the connector now. I am going that route, if it doesn't work, I'll buy the new flange.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #15
mattyblazer
Registered Full

Garage
I bought a new top for my tank, (can't remember the name) but it was from the dealer and I think it was $284 back in June this year, My Bike is a 2005 VRSCA, I broke the nipple off the top
mattyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement