Fuel Injectors - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel Injectors

Its been a while since I have been on here. Like many others I have an issue so I am asking.

So the question is has anyone changed injectors because of it going bad?

Here is some background on the issue.
Here is the short. I rode about 600 miles to FL stayed for two weeks using the bike while there. about 300 or so miles. On my way home at about 160 miles I got a fish bite feel. Knew I was getting close for gas i thought that I was running out. Filled up 3.8 gallons ran great did ti again this time in about 75 miles. added fuel ran great then did it again. but now about 30 miles. Pulled over at rest area and waited about 10 minutes. Ran great did it again in about 5 miles. ened up leaving bike in Savannah GA, I though it was coils so I bet it home and change them with the originals, I had factory replacement on there.

Another story but the originals were not bad. Bike ran great did a few shorter trips about 100 -120 miles no stops and it was good. This brings us to this weekend. Go for a ride to the Dragon Tail on the way there it gets the fishbite thing back. Did 100 miles before filling up ran great. now at 75 miles it did it again Cant stop running with a pack. It clears up after about 30 miles. Runs great. We do a ride though some back roads hit the Dragon both ways running awesome. On the way back to the campground it fishbites again for about 5 miles then fine. We do another run that afternoon about 80 miles but did stop at about 35. Rant great. Leave the camp grounds and at 75 miles it comes back. the 30 odd miles later it cleans up. It did it twice.

I did the a static fuel pressure test and it hits 60PSI very quick. Looked at many connectors and ECU connector for dirt corrosion. It was clean. After think deep and evaluating the way it was acting, I think an injector is going bad.
Anyf eeback would be awesome,
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
That almost sounds like a loose ground connection, easy to check. Also you could try running some seafoam in the gas and see if that cleans up the injectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

I just did a new battery in April and had everything apart again a few weeks ago. So I will say battery cable ground is OK but there are other grounds that I can check. Thanks. I don't think its a clogged injector I feels more like electrical. Like it just quits working. Then fires again. It runs too good when its not acting up. I will start with checking the other grounds.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Maybe a relay going bad? These dang intermittent issues are tough to figure out sometimes.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Nas3car welcome back you wild & crazy sarcastic son of a gun ! Like Elgavilan said check all grounds & seafoam it - has it been sitting ? So please expand on this " fish bite feel " is the engine just bogging down or on & off like a stutter ? Does it do it at all rpm's or just at cruise ? How many miles on bike ? Using any oil ? Do you have a an EFI piggyback controller installed ? Still remember the Dykes on bikes you pm'd me that was a hoot ! Last question how many miles on spark plugs ?
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just some quickie reminders.
1. There are 3 grounds one on each cylinder and one frame to engine located underneath left side of bike.
2. Did the 60 psi stay put after turning the ignition off? It should remain for at least 5-10 seconds otherwise something is wrong in the tank. Your pressurized system has a leak if it does not stay pressurized for a few seconds.
3. If you have a piggyback controller remove it and see what happens.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
jehines3
2012 VRSCDX

No codes at all? Check Throttle position sensor and O2 sensors
jehines3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
pecee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if its an intermittent problem then i doubt its a mechanical issue,these issues dont fix themselves.it sounds like system relay to me,or loose connection,or corroded contact.
pecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #9
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Hey everyone thanks for the feedback.

Here are some answers.
30,000 miles. had valves done around 20K
no piggy back
model before o2
fuel pressure held for at least 5 seconds.
2 brand new spark plugs.

It feels like a misfire at RPM lower than 5000, still misses above that but engine speed to high to feel it bad. Its still there you can feel it but not like lower RPM When it acts up taking off from a stop if feels like one cylinder dies then comes back to life then dies. So its like your jerking the throttle on and off. till you get about 5-6000RPM shift and do it again. While cruising you can feel its flat but will hold speed just slow acceleration if you want to go faster. It has the feel like you almost ran out of gas, but never dies. I have looked in the tank while its running and the return flows good and I do nost see any water or junk in the bottom of the tank.

I will check the or just replace system relay. I have checked the main fuse and the other ones under the seat.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
knight rod rob
Registered Full

It sounds like coils. Remove the boot on the coil and see if you see any green build up.
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
It sounds like coils. Remove the boot on the coil and see if you see any green build up.

Yes, it could be the springs inside the coil boots not making contact on one side or the other.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Swapped coils, had a spare set. That was my first thoughts. I would find it had to fathom two sets of coils being bad. Both sets are HD originals, and replacement set bought from HD.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Hmm, cracked rubber boots throttle body?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #14
knight rod rob
Registered Full

I knew I read u had done that. But for the life of me I could not see it. It just seems like when it gets hot its failing. I would start to look at something that is affected during engine heat. Something like a component breaking down under temps possibly. And is controlling fuel etc. I dont want to scare u w/ possible ecm problems. I would also try to figure what cylinder(s) are affected. If all grounds and connectors are good. Then there is not much else. You could put it on a dyno and check it that way. It usually dont cost much for that.
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

I pulled the system relay out and did some surface testing on it. checked ohms, and them used my power probe to to put a load on it. I have one that will do 50 amps. I did 15 the max rating of the relay and it did not like that. I then dropped to 10 and it held for a little bit then started acting funny. I will pull a different one and play around with that. It seems that they can be bought from HD for who knows how much or the Dodge dealer. I know a guy with an account there. so i will get one and see.
I do want to thank all for the input and if problem still exists I will let yall know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement