2008 vrscdx whining noise - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Nik7921
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 vrscdx whining noise

hello everyone,
I have 2008 vrscdx with 11k miles.Since the last few weeks I have noticed a whining noise when I start the ignition and after riding for like 20 min.Once the engine ignition is turned off the noise slowly goes away.The noise is loud enough that I can hear it with the engine on.I feel the noise is coming from the front near radiator but not sure.I was reading on the forum that it could be the fuel pump.The bike rides good but for that annoying noise.Hopefully no long term damage riding the bike.Thanks everyone for any help with diagnosis.The link below has the video of the noise. If i need to change the fuel pump is the trask performance hi flo pump any better than the oem or the other after market ones?

https://youtu.be/9CPhdZVVLdY
https://youtu.be/h6mePYxuUeE
Nik7921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Nik7921
Registered Full

I also forgot to include that recently I got dyno tune done..Could the noise be due running rich?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik7921 View Post
I also forgot to include that recently I got dyno tune done..Could the noise be due running rich?
No, but the links don't work, even copied and pasted into browser.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
Nik7921
Registered Full

Thanks for pointing it out Ron.The link was set to private setting.I have changed that to public.Pls let me know if it doesnt work and I can pm you the videos.

Thanks again
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sounds like starter motor is still engaged to the running motor abd the starter gear is running at motor rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 street rod SuperCharged (and proud of it)
'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Tie_One_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Nik7921
Registered Full

Thanks Tie one on..Guess seems like will be a trip to the dealer..
Old 08-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Thanks Tie one on..Guess seems like will be a trip to the dealer..
Does sound like the starter stuck on. However, if either the starter relay or solenoid have stuck, it will try to start the engine every time the ignition switch is turned on, then whine after engine starts.
Before that, look at the fans when you turn the switch on and see it's a fan causing the noise. Could be a bearing or fan blades contacting the shroud, maybe. I'm leaning to fans because the one vid shows the noise with key on and no engine turnover or running.
Ron
Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Nik7921
Registered Full

Thanks Rbabos.I will check after removing the radiator cover .I did reinstall the cover it recently after having it repainted.The noise does seems to be coming close to the fan.When the cover was over there was no such noise.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Thanks Rbabos.I will check after removing the radiator cover .I did reinstall the cover it recently after having it repainted.The noise does seems to be coming close to the fan.When the cover was over there was no such noise.
Not sure what removing any of the covers could effect the fans mounting and they can be viewed from the back. Nothing to see from the front.
Ron
Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
MikeSez
Registered Full

Don't know if you resolved this or not...but It sounds like a fan blade hitting something loose. Remove the shroud again, check it out and see if it makes the noise with it off.if not, remove
the start button, clean it up with some WD,cuz it could be stuck when you push it. I had it happen before on an earlier bike.
Advertisement