Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"Cheap" fuel flange repair, what's needed?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  stever975 
#1 ·
Ok, tried and the dealer said nope. They will not repair free since I am out of warranty, out of the VIN numbers and bike was purchased elsewhere. I can remove the flange, but once out, what fittings/clamps etc.. do I need to do a cheap repair? I know some members have done this with no problems. Can anyone help me out here and tell me exactly what I need? I rather try this before I go out and spend $100+ on a new flange.
Thanks to all, this forum already helped me find the mist which is giving me a bad, rough ride.:)

#2 ·
SO you are saying there is a recall on the bike and HD will not back it? My understanding was a recall was usually due to a safety problem, and did not matter how old the vehicle is or if its under warranty.
I bought a 86 Toyota pick up truck last year which i am the second owner of and I got a recall card in the mail and the dealer repaired the issue.

#3 ·
SxyRodRydr said:
SO you are saying there is a recall on the bike and HD will not back it? My understanding was a recall was usually due to a safety problem, and did not matter how old the vehicle is or if its under warranty.
I bought a 86 Toyota pick up truck last year which i am the second owner of and I got a recall card in the mail and the dealer repaired the issue.
It's not a recall it's a service bull. I can probably go to the dealer and get them to do it, but the way the bike is running and considering how far the dealer is, I am not too sure if I want to take such a ride. I'm pretty much ready and have decided to give this a shot and fix it myself. I'm pretty handy and I think I can do it, just need help with what parts I need to get.

#5 ·
For the money you can't beat Max's deal. This is a good tool! Click here and then scroll down

V-Rod gas tank meter tool -- $35

Please read -- for US orders only

These are made from T-6 aluminum and are used to remove the meter from your fuel tank. If you plan to do a tank change later to one of the 5-gallon tanks, this is a must-have tool to do the job correctly.

#6 ·
#7 ·
vroder said:
If I remember correctly, Max posted a how-to on this about three years ago. I have no idea where to find it, but I bet RJ knows...:D
In case others have this problem I thought I should post the PM I just sent to hawk570:

I've never done this repair myself since my bike doesn't have the problem but I've followed the discussion from when it was first discovered. Steve (ChopperSteve) of V-Mod had a fix posted in early 2005 (see: http://www.v-mod.com/tech_home.asp) Be sure to scroll down past the tech bulletin he has posted there.

This involved purchasing a part that HD sold (63533-41A). Its a hose barb fitting on one end with a 1/8" NPTM (male pipe thread) fitting on the other end. Steve says to remove the press fit fitting that's leaking and tap the hole out with an 1/8" pipe tap and install the Harley fitting and then push on the fuel line and secure with a pipe clamp. I'm not sure what the hose barb fitting dimensions are for sure but from the picture shown on the V-Mod site it's about 7/16" in O.D. You could print out the picture and bring it to the hardware store and find one that looks similar.

The other problem that needs to be handled is how to remove and replace the fuel flange "lock ring". This should be done with a tool like Max sells in the forum store (called a "V-Rod gas tank meter tool" near the bottom at: http://www.1130cc.com/?page=v-rodstore)

or with the one Steve sells at V-Mod (part # 2050 see: http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewProduc...D=405&PID=3496

Max's tool is a little less expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.