Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"R" front-end on "A" Model...???

5K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  HawkStang 
#1 ·
Has anyone looked into putting an "R" model front (forks, trees, brakes, etc) onto the "A" or "B" models yet?

#3 ·
Just buy a Storz Swine, unless you can get an R front cheap. I would imagine it would fit as long as the center to center on the trees is the same, along with the neck height, but you can always make new spacers, shims for brakes, etc.. The fact the rake is a little less means the tubes may hit the tank on an A?????????

#4 ·
PA: Cheatin: Thanks for replies.

Yes , I suppose I could buy a storz front (Great Products) but you know me I like to be different. I didn't like the new trees on the "R" when I first seen them but they are growing on me, I think they would look good on the "A" along with a set of drag style "Z" Bars and rear sets.

Damn, I think I am talking myself into doing it :sinister:

#7 ·
I was actually thinking about going the other way...
That seem to be the only way to get the larger fuel tank.

If I could "aquire" a wrecked R, and rebuild it as an "A", well, I'd be done for a little while.

#9 ·
swine said:
Kennedy: Like the way you think. You would probably have to rake the frame to get it to sit like an "A" model.
Isn't most of the rake in the triple tree...

#11 ·
I just saw a set of 'R' trees on Ebay.I was thinking the same thing Swine was.Auction ended,and I forgot about it.
Inverted forks look awesome on the VRSC.But,damn those Storz's are expensive.

#12 ·
The rear geometry on the "R" is quite different somehow. Those 16" shocks required some subtle changes. I'd love to figure out how to get the "R" frame (for the gas tank) with my front end and all the rest of my crap. Maybe the MoCo will figure all that out for us in a couple of weeks.....

#14 ·
Kennedy said:
Isn't most of the rake in the triple tree...
Kennedy: Don't get me wrong you could mount it no problems with some mods. The "R" steering lock and the the fork stop have different mounting locations to the "A". These would have to be fabricated onto the "A" trees.

Other things to take into account -
Rake in the "A" trees is 4 deg. but the headstem tube in the "R" frame is set at a straighter angle than the "A" ("R"=30 deg. / "A"=34 deg). By just replacing the frontend only, you would lose 4 deg. of rake angle in relation to the "A", making the bike sit higher in the front.
You could push the fork tubes up the trees to lower the front but this will bring the front wheel closer to the radiator and may cause clearance issues somewhere. I think you would get the same effect as putting a wideglde front on an FXD. Just dosen't look right IMHO.

#20 ·
rc4man said:
Any problems with the tree hitting the frame tubes?
Yes!!! But have managed to work my way around this. I hope to have original "A" key lock and fork stop mount done tomorrow then its all off to the chromers etc. I also bored out the holes to accept the 58mm adjustabe dampening forks. This makes the "A" look fat, should go well with the 250 DSB arse end.

#23 ·
swine said:
Yes!!! But have managed to work my way around this. I hope to have original "A" key lock and fork stop mount done tomorrow then its all off to the chromers etc. I also bored out the holes to accept the 58mm adjustabe dampening forks. This makes the "A" look fat, should go well with the 250 DSB arse end.
Hmmm! "Do these forks make me look fat?"

Looks pretty good to me, and I noticed the adjusters.
What are those tubes off of?

#26 ·
Are those actually rebound adjustors? I didn't think that the forks were adjustable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.