Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"Ping" Under Airbox Cover

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  ERNZ63 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 A Model that started doing something strange......(like all of the other problems aren't?) When riding down the road at any speed (20-55), almost any throttle position, light to medium engine load, you can hear a sound that seems to come from under the airbox cover. :confused:

The best way to describe it is that it sound like a road stone hitting the front fender, like a pebble hitting tin, but sounds like it is coming from under the airbox cover. It is loud enough that my wife riding on the back can hear it. It does NOT sound like a pre-ignition ping though, although could it be?
It does not do it when I romp on it. Just comes and goes. The engine does not sound like it misses a beat.

Gonna order a Gil's Box today, but don't want to put it on till I get this latest issue resolved.

Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

Tanks in advance...............Kaboom

#5 ·
Yes! It has reared it's ugly head again! I talked to a Guy yesterday that was still shifting below 4000rpm. KEEP THE REVS UP!!!! Shift in any gear between 5500-6500RPM! When you shift from 1st-2nd you should be at about 40mph. Help me Guys and Gals. Later Ski.

#6 ·
So even if I do not have any modifications on the bike I should be shifting between 5500 and 6000 RPMs? Why does the motorcycle owners manual say to shift at such low speeds. When I do get her going because I am pulling into fast moving trafic from an intersection she does feel great at higher RPMs. This will not cause any damage? Jorge

#7 ·
After the thousands of VRs I have rode and worked on, I have yet to see one break because of this. I have tried. Try this. In 1st gear get her up to 5000rpm. Then lay on the throttle till 8500rpm and shift into 2nd gear. This is the true feeling of the VR. This bike loves the higher RPMs. Around town I hardly get into 3rd gear. It is not nessesary. Later Ski.

#8 ·
SKIROD said:
After the thousands of VRs I have rode and worked on, I have yet to see one break because of this. I have tried. Try this. In 1st gear get her up to 5000rpm. Then lay on the throttle till 8500rpm and shift into 2nd gear. This is the true feeling of the VR. This bike loves the higher RPMs. Around town I hardly get into 3rd gear. It is not nessesary. Later Ski.

:stupid: Mine will do 100 MPH in first. It's the only gear I use. :dance: :laugh:

#9 ·
The best way to describe it is that it sound like a road stone hitting the front fender, like a pebble hitting tin, but sounds like it is coming from under the airbox cover.
Mine sounds like that when the front wheel kicks a pebble up into the radiator shrouds - only happens periodically and usually at slower speeds. I would guess that it was the same thing maybe???

#10 ·
2005 A model, SE Slip-ons, HD Stage one tune. It really doesn't sound like a ping......too high pitched even for gravel. I thought it was gravel at first, but it sounds like it is just under the inside of the airbox. I will have to check out the airbox clip this weekend as the bike is in So. Fla and I'm up in Cocoa.....have to work for a living.

It doesn't do it while accelerating or driving hard. Just when cruising along down the road, between gears. Very, very strange.

#11 ·
I having the same issue with my '05 CVO. I have beat my head trying to figure out what is causing the rattling noise. I hear it the most between 3500 and 4500 rpms during exceleration. To me it sounds like something in the exhaust is loose or something like that. Maybe the baffles? It does sound like rocks in tin metal but I can't find what is causing it. I have an appointment for idling problems and front braking problems. Will get this checked while it is in as well.

#12 ·
Same thing happens with my 02, SE slip-ons HD calibrated. Although it only happens at 3000-4000 rpm in fifth gear. I learned to live with it, and either give more throttle in fourth before switching to fifth.
Hope the noise will go away when I get my Power Commander soon :)

BTW: Thanx for an awesome forum, witch I only today have really gotten down to use :kaz:

#13 ·
Hey Ski,

I have been getting the rpms up now before shifting as advised and I like the feel of her but down shifting at such high rev's, is this just as okay? I'm assuming it is but what the heck do I know.

#15 ·
Lone Rider said:
Had one on mine at 2500-3500 range. Turned out to be the front brake line contacting the tree. Hope thats all it is.

My bike won't run at 2500rpm. All it does is bog down. The only time you should be at that low an rpm is as you blow right by it in first gear. Once you do that you should really never be below 4000rpm. If my speed decreases to the point of my rpm's dropping to much I just down shift to bring them back up. You will notice that many of your minor problem will disappear just by keeping the engine speed up. Like Ski said, I usually never get past 2-3rd gears when cruising around town. I need to be 55-60 to get it into third or else rpm's will be to low. Next time you ride take a look at your shift points and you will probably notice they are to low.

#16 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
My bike won't run at 2500rpm. All it does is bog down. The only time you should be at that low an rpm is as you blow right by it in first gear. Once you do that you should really never be below 4000rpm. If my speed decreases to the point of my rpm's dropping to much I just down shift to bring them back up. You will notice that many of your minor problem will disappear just by keeping the engine speed up. Like Ski said, I usually never get past 2-3rd gears when cruising around town. I need to be 55-60 to get it into third or else rpm's will be to low. Next time you ride take a look at your shift points and you will probably notice they are to low.

Good advise, I'll try it next time I pull into the neighborhood at 3:00 am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.