Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

$2300 to install pistons (bare engine)

698 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kerryw 
#1 ·
I brought them a bare engine, side covers removed, and all necessary parts (gasket kit, new cp pistons, new cams, new liners, new slipper clutch) I authorized supplying part #35017-01k (shift actuator and drum kit $348.95 yikes) since we were going to be in there anyways. My theory was all the other new parts could be installed as a matter of course because of the process of installing new pistons involves r&r'ing the other mentioned parts. Dealer rate book says "pistons and liners: 10 hrs." A couple of weeks before I took the engine in, I fully discussed the project with the dude @ the counter, who correctly called in the mechanic to be assigned the job and they estimated all of 8-10 hours, given my particulars. When I dropped the engine off and did the paperwork it was agreed that they would phone me if problems were encountered requiring more expense. My bad for signing the work order that did not specify that detail.

My questions are to those who have the bravery to split cases:

1) am I correct in assuming that new cams and clutch parts can be installed as a matter of course in the new piston install? I agree that the cams must be shimmed correctly, hell I bought 8 five-packs of shims, but I'm thinking the labour for such would be part-and-parcel with the piston install?

2) is 16 hours of labour reasonable for this project? I pulled the engine from the bike (no mean feat) took both side covers off. Top end was intact as was the clutch and the output pulley. The mechanic claims he took 19 hours, but the shop was kind enough to reduce it to 16. This is at $111/hr. The dealer rate here in Yorkton, SK, is $84.

thanks, peeps. If this doesn't get lost in the new post wilderness, I'm hoping for some good insight for my 2 questions.

oh, my opinion is this is WAY too much time and money for this. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
WOW - shop rate of $111 per hour, probably paying the mechanic only $25.00 per hour. Personally, I would have boxed that stuff up and shipped to one of our forum members that is schooled in these engines and could have saved a lot of money. :deal:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.