Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"Heavy Breather" Performance Air Cleaner

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Phatass 
#1 ·
So, lets start this with a disclamer, "I fix/modify computers not bikes", and on with the show.

I love the look of the side mounted Air Cleaners, however i have NEVER seen one on a v-rod beyond one with a turbo. Obviously there are pro's and cons to everything, going topless, bottomless, fenderless, seatless, bagless and so on.

Performace "gains" are not something that i require but a loss would be bad, the look is what i am going for, and i LOVE the look.

Now the question is, why have i never seen one?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Two down draft throttle bodies and an air filter on top like a car. Much better design than old style stuff like you pictured.

#6 ·
So as with vroder's post, there is a flow loss with tubing its out from under the cover, thus the design change to the 'air box'. Thing is, there is two 'intakes' for the box itself as long as i kept the tubing a similar size woudl the flow loss not be an issue?

There would be a lot of flow loss in the tubing and plenum that would be required just to mount a side air cleaner. Now, if you are going to that extent, why not just do the turbo?
Well, for about a $5000-6000 reason, besides i honestly think the turbo looks horrible. Remember the only reason i want to do this is for purely aesthetic reasons, not performance. As long as i dont gimp the bike, ill be happy.

would look like this if the filters were put right on the stacks , but you wouldnt see them outside the bike
Ya i saw that idea, very very cool, but as you stated, there is no way to see then beyond a clear airbox cover. (Which could be cool in its own right)

#5 ·
The separate air filter design shown in your attached image has more flow restriction than stock. The single large filter feeding both stacks in the stock setup is very low flow restriction: the filter only sees the flow to one cylinder at a time and it has more surface area than the individual filters that feed each cylinder separately.

#8 ·
Ditto on the looks of the turbo hanging off the side. You could just hang one out there as non-functioning bling and keep the OEM intake setup. Match the horn on the other side, so to speak.

How about: design a small box that looks like the filter cover of choice but is actually a 'possibles' box to hold your glasses, etc. You could sell these!

#9 ·
to be functional, It'd have to come out through the Airbox cover. The throttle bodies aren't low enough to allow you to turn out below the frame rails.
Ed

#11 ·
Hi, like that set up you got there. What size are all those filters and does the clamshell cover fit over that? Man that is sharp for sure. Thanks oh and that question is for UGotz.

#13 ·
THEY ARE K&N EXTREMES , NOT SURE WHAT PART NO. THEY ARE ANYMORE. I AM SURE IF YOU MEASURE THE VELOCITY STACK , THEY CAN BE MATCHED UP WITH THE RIGHT FILTER. EVERYTHING FITS UNDER THE AIR BOX , SET-UP WAS DONE BY A FEW OF THE ORIGINAL V-ROD FORUMS CREW. SOME SAY IT WORKS , SOME SAY IT DOESNT - LOOKS COOL WHEN YOU LIFT THE LID.

#12 ·
Aahahahah, a airhorn would rule, though my knee already hits the stupid ass horn as is, bleh.

So from what i am gathering, without going to an ugly turbo setup, or some sort of modified 'ram air' rig there is no reasonable way to mount and use a filter such as the one pictured in my original post. Yes i guess i could just set a fake one on the side for 'looks', but some part of me crys out in pain when i think of doing that, i guess i need to to have a function as well as look good.

Thx guys, ill wwatch this thread just incase someone has a 'fantastical' idea...=o)

#14 ·
What you've got to remember Pissant, is what you're looking at is on a 45degree, there's more room between cylinders and they use a single bore throttle body. We don't have the room with a 60degree, and the higher rpm ours runs at requires more airflow than the others need. Sorry to rain on your parade.

#17 ·
Hah no worries, i was sure that there was a techinical aspect that i was unaware of having little experence modifying. I however have a few ideas on what can be done to acheive the desired look though i do have a question.

What then is the required minimum airflow?
Is there such a thing as 'too much' air?

EDIT:

Found what i was looking for shortly after posting.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2426845/Electric-Supercharger-air-intake

Attachments

#15 ·
I thought this style was very different. As long as it doesn't rain. Definitely an eye turner. Pics from Hot Bike Mag. But actually saw in bike show at Daytona board walk couple years back.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.