Possible fix for older fuel gauges. - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #31
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hey Hal64HD:

What is a "30 Tooth HDI Sprocket"?

Did you lower your rpm's in 5th gear by switching your sprocket?

Iceberg Blue 8K H.I.D. Conversion
Progressive Suspension (all around)
Sundowner Seat
Fender Base Plate/Low Sissy Bar/Luggage Rack
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
2:1 Powerline Exhaust
Amsoil
Metzeler
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rippie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #32
BayouRuler
Mater Distiller

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie74 View Post
Hey Hal64HD:

What is a "30 Tooth HDI Sprocket"?

Did you lower your rpm's in 5th gear by switching your sprocket?
30 tooth Harley Davidson International drive pulley. US bikes come stock with a 28 tooth drive pulley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

-

-

BayouRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #33
rcplanecrasher1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I actually have an 07 CD that is doing this. Except it has a miond of its own at times. Once time going down the road I actually watched the fuel gauge go back up to full. (never knew you could make gas go into your tank while going down the road) Mine will stick... then un stick... I use to work in Auto Parts over 10 years ago and I can remember when we first got Seafoam in. It was new to the area. Someone put their Oil Solution in and it hand grenaded the 454 ( guess it cleaned it out too good ) So I know the stuff cleans real well (bad thing was I was the one that sold the can... and sold it to the family farm so i was stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.... blame was going back and forth... but anyhow) They make a good product. I know my bike seems to be doing the same as the Pre 07's....Guess I will try it and we will see.
rcplanecrasher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #34
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just came up with another problem with my resistor strip, namely a dead spot. About 80% into a tank of gas my gauge drops to zilch then 10 miles or so comes back alive. Metering out the strip I found a dead spot about 2 inches from the end of the strip. No conductivity whatsoever. Won't take solder either. Don't know what to do about it. New one costs $200.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #35
RF_R_US
Lifetime Premium

I wonder if this is a high humidity issue. My '06 fuel sender works flawlessly and so does the same technology one in my '95 GPZ1100. Guess I'm happy to live in relative low humidity Colorado....

John
(now I can REALLY screw up this bike), etc., etc.

Other Fossil Fuel Burning Toys: '05 FLHTCUI, '96 KLR650, '73 Chevy Nova SS yeah it's :bad:
RF_R_US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #36
Smokewagonokc
Registered Full

Tried several tanks of Seafoam, still not working correctly.
Smokewagonokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #37
hollist
Registered Full

called Harley's home office today, they palyed dumb on the fuel gauge subject.
hollist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #38
tripleted
Registered Full

Fuel gauge sender problem fixed!!

Tried this "possible fix for the faulty fuel gauge" 2 days ago on my bike that has read empty after I fill the tank up then goes to full slowly after about 15 miles. It worked and now the gauge works as it should. Thanks Steppenwolf!
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno [email protected] RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #39
enigmas
enigmas

Since my bike was badly burned in a fire I 've had the opportunity (if you can call it that) to extensively dismantle and rebuild it...still in the process. Fortunately I purchased a Rick's tank sometime back and didn't install it at the time.

I've since fitted it and another complete fuel pump assembly. Before fitting this 'new' (second hand) unit I thought i would check the float to see if it was working properly 'electrically'.

Checking out both strips on either side of the fuel strip you'll find that one is plain and the other side a resistance strip. Both appeared to have a residue or light film coating over them probably from continuous fuel immersion? I cleaned both strips with a mild abrasive paper. I then got my multimeter and set it to the ohms scale. Placing a probe on either side of the fuel strips at the top most point I then slid the fuel guage sender float up and down the strip and noted changes in the resistance value from the top (least resistance) to the bottom (highest resistance). The fuel guage reads the resistance values not fuel.

I think removing the plastic base plate and soldering the contacts is a good idea. From the pixs posted initially it looks as though the pins are removed at the top plate and the base plate pulled down.

The epoxy worries me a bit as current fuels seem to dissolve most adhesives I'm aware of, especially if continually immersed.

At this time I don'r need to add another task to my rebuild list.

Is there a better method of securing the plate?
enigmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #40
rjrivero
Friend of Max.

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleted View Post
Thanks Steppenwolf!
You'll have to forgive him when he doesn't reply. Our friend Steppenwolf has been gone a bit more than a year now. RIP, my friend.
What you have just read is my opinion. I assume no responsibility for anyone applying my opinions to their own VRSC motorcycle, much less their own lives. Do not duplicate these stunts. They are preformed for you by trained monkeys. There is nothing professional in what you have just read.

V-Rod Editor American Iron Magazine

I will no longer be recieving PM's. Please contact me via the email option. Thanks.

RJ
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #41
tripleted
Registered Full

I am sure he will get my PM wherever he is.
Imported orange/black US VRSCR model. Drilled airbox, Amsoil air filter, V&H 2:1, Direct Link with Dyno [email protected] RWHP & 80 ft.pounds of torque, chrome engine gaurds with kuryakyn highway pegs, chrome passanger footpeg mounts, "B" model handlebars and clutch line, Supersport windshield, chrome headlight visor, swingarm covers, chrome upper and lower belt gaurds, rear rack and sissy bar, 1" rear shock lowering kit.
tripleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #42
whiskytangofoxt
Registered Full

I was a doubter for the magical mystery oil, however I did try it and after 93 miles my gauge became un-stuck. My float was hanging up just below the red indication. My guess is maybe the oil made it just slippery enough

lapchuk the mad Hungarian is my hero
whiskytangofoxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #43
Dr Dave
Buy American!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Best cleaner for brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal64hd View Post
I believe the are Brass not Copper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewagonokc View Post
Tried several tanks of Seafoam, still not working correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanecrasher1 View Post
I actually have an 07 CD that is doing this. Except it has a miond of its own at times. Once time going down the road I actually watched the fuel gauge go back up to full. (never knew you could make gas go into your tank while going down the road) Mine will stick... then un stick... I use to work in Auto Parts over 10 years ago and I can remember when we first got Seafoam in. It was new to the area. Someone put their Oil Solution in and it hand grenaded the 454 ( guess it cleaned it out too good ) So I know the stuff cleans real well (bad thing was I was the one that sold the can... and sold it to the family farm so i was stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.... blame was going back and forth... but anyhow) They make a good product. I know my bike seems to be doing the same as the Pre 07's....Guess I will try it and we will see.
My fuel gauge (LED lights use same resistor sending unit as analog gauge) is acting up a little too. Seafoam sounds a little risky, so I've decided to add Brasso to my next tank.

Ill let you know...
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #44
vbtruk
Registered Full

ok, so after heaps of mucking around i have come up with something, my gauge has dead spots through the middle but it's not the strip thats the issue rather the two prongs either side as they dont seem to be putting enough pressure onto the strip so as to provide an easy slide action, i have bent them in harder but with to much pressure the float does not move at all so it needs just enough pressure, soldering them together is not the answer. maybe the float and srip design from he marine engine would be better if modified to suit.
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #45
vbtruk
Registered Full

mine is back to working for now but with time the spring tension of the prongs to the strip wears off
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement