Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"Chasing" the Threads

768 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  vroddrew 
#1 ·
Ok, this is not about virtual threads but real ones....

I am putting on the pulley that matches my wheels and when I talked to Jerry, he mentioned that the mechanic should "have chased the threads" to clean out the chrome plating that found its way into the bolt hole threads. The bolts will not go completely into the hubs holes as they stop about half way in. The chrome has to be cleaned out before the bolts can be threaded in place.

What tool do you use to perform this? Anybody know where it could be purchased?

Thanks,

HoldHard

#3 ·
You need a tap of the right size - get it at any decent hardware store. Take the bolt with you to make sure you're cutting the right sized threads. Find the rignt nut for your bolt and thread it on fully to make sure. Cost you a couple of buck ($5 - $10) depending on the size of the tap, plus another few for a T-handle - a good idea to make sure you're screwing the tap in straight.

Or buy a full tap and die set - but that can get pretty pricey.

#4 ·
:them: You can get one at any Sears, Home Depot, Etc....etc.....etc.....Bring a bolt with you and match it up.

#5 ·
Thanks all..... This place is great!!!! Three excellent replies in seven frickin' minutes!!! Ya just gotta love it...

HoldHard

#8 ·
If it is a blind hole, meaning it does not go all the way through and bottoms out you will want to use a bottoming tap. A regular tap will not cut threads on the first 1/4" or so where it is tappered for an easy start. A bottoming tap has cutting threads out to the end.

Mike

#9 ·
Cheatin said:
Just hog it out with a blowtorch!! I learned that from RJ. :cook :laugh:
I tried to heat my deadblow hammer once.......What a mess!!! :rofl:

#11 ·
agtorange said:
Make sure you put some kinda lube on it too when running the tap through there.

..yeah, this and keep it STRAIGHT are words to work by!!!

#14 ·
A tap will work, but this is a risky way to clean threads in a chrome wheel. You can buy thread chasers at Sears or Snap-on. They do not cut new threads, just clean them up, which is what you want. Start a tap wrong and you will now learn how to install thread inserts. Always use lube. Here's a link to Snap-on's rethreading taps.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1147&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

#15 ·
Well, it turned out that the threads in the hole were not the problem. I could hand twist the tap all the way in. Now the bolts were another story. 4 of the 5 had to be cleaned up and there was a bunch of shavings that came off. After that they threaded right in without using tools.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Without the help, I'd have taken it over to the dealership and gotten raped for a couple of hours labor at $75 per....

Heres a picture of the finished pulley project.

HoldHard

Attachments

#16 ·
biedmatt said:
Here's a link to Snap-on's rethreading taps.
Thanks for the tip and the link. For $38 that looks like a set to add to my collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.