Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Possible fix for older fuel gauges.

102K views 114 replies 67 participants last post by  michael morgan 
#1 ·
Gas float fix

Well, this is as good a place as any to post this. Here's the problem IMO:

The gas gauge (pre-07 at least) is a long resistor strip with a float. The float has two contacts - one on each side - that run along the resistor strip, thus changing the resitance reading which is interpreted as your fuel level. In the past, peopl have tried to fix erratic reading by taking Scotch-brite to the resistor strip, with the theory being that the strip was getting 'gummed up'. This helped at times - but sometimes not, and not for long. We were barking up the wrong tree.

If you pop the bottom off the float (it is glued or plastic-welded) you will find that the two contacts are separate pieces - one for each side. Now this is the important part: THE TWO PIECES ONLY LAY ON TOP OF EACH OTHER UNDER THE FOLAT BOTTOM (see pic with my hand in it) In other words, the circuit depends on thos two piece of metal laying on top of each other (!!!!!) There is NO connector or screw to secure the plates and ensure they stay in contact (double !!!!!!!!!!).

When I took my float apart, I found that the two contact plates (brushes) were discolored from time and fuel exposure - including where they overlapped and were supposed to be closing the circuit. I cleaned them up and placed a TINY drop of solder to hold them to each other. (Disclaimer - I have NO idea if solder in your gas is a BAD idea, but the amount was tiny and then I slathered the whole thing in epoxy to glue the float back togther.

So far, so good! But what a terrible design...

Attachments

See less See more
#99 ·
Yes, it does. 2006 VRSCR done 7 years ago and still working.

#103 ·
My gasket was reusable. Don't torque it down too tight and tighten them evenly as you would a wheel on a car.

#102 ·
Guess I was lucky as my '06R has never had this problem. I also think it's one of the most accurate fuel gauges I've ever had on a bike as well.

#109 ·
My sensor/gauge problems resolved with techron seafoam mix added in storage

I also had sensor gauge issues several years ago when I first bought my Vrod in 2002 brand new. within the first few years the gauge stopped working. But these issues resolved and never returned after I started to store my bike with techron and seafoam in the tank over the winter months when the bike sat un-used.

I currently had my 2002 stored in my garage with old gas last put in from 2013. ( 5 years old gas) I just got the bike started again after having a new battery installed and the gauge works fine. The bike started with no hesitation even with 5 year old gas.

The key is to STORE the bike with full tank of gas and the add an ENTIRE COMPLETE bottle of techron and an ENTIRE COMPLETE bottle of seafoam and let it sit over the winter.

Sea foam is amazing. So it Techron

Unrelated, but I had a old Yamaha YSR that i bought that had 30 year old dried up hard caramelized gas drippings on the frame and I used a small amount of seafoam soaked rag on the dried up hardened dark brown dry gas drippings, and sure enough the 30 year old oxidized hardened carmelized gas dripping just dissolved and wiped up in a snap. The seafoam dissolves deposits. Techron does the same.

I massively overdose my fuel tank when using both products when storing my Vrod over the winter.

In 2013, I had put the Vrod away for the last 5 years un-used, but each year added some fresh techron and seafoam each winter just to keep the concentrations high.

fuel gauge world flawlessly since I started this yearly ritual.

Important to note ----It takes TIME for the seafoam and the techron to dissolve the deposits, but with very high concentrations and over several months your gauge should return to proper functioning as these products clean any deposits off of the sending unit.

These is ZERO harm in overdosing Techron or overdosing Seafoam. The only side effect is that your bike will blow white smokey exhaust until all of the treated fuel is completely used up but this usually only occurs on start up. Once the engine is warm the white smoke is gone.

#110 ·
Get or borrow the HD ring tool, (its always good to have it in your armory), take out the sending unit, and use some kitchen sponge and paint remover, let it dry and do it again, it worked perfectly on mine and just saved about $900 at HD heist club since the genius there wanted to replace the whole system gauge included...

#114 ·
Gas float fix

Well, this is as good a place as any to post this. Here's the problem IMO:

The gas gauge (pre-07 at least) is a long resistor strip with a float. The float has two contacts - one on each side - that run along the resistor strip, thus changing the resitance reading which is interpreted as your fuel level. In the past, peopl have tried to fix erratic reading by taking Scotch-brite to the resistor strip, with the theory being that the strip was getting 'gummed up'. This helped at times - but sometimes not, and not for long. We were barking up the wrong tree.

If you pop the bottom off the float (it is glued or plastic-welded) you will find that the two contacts are separate pieces - one for each side. Now this is the important part: THE TWO PIECES ONLY LAY ON TOP OF EACH OTHER UNDER THE FOLAT BOTTOM (see pic with my hand in it) In other words, the circuit depends on thos two piece of metal laying on top of each other (!!!!!) There is NO connector or screw to secure the plates and ensure they stay in contact (double !!!!!!!!!!).

When I took my float apart, I found that the two contact plates (brushes) were discolored from time and fuel exposure - including where they overlapped and were supposed to be closing the circuit. I cleaned them up and placed a TINY drop of solder to hold them to each other. (Disclaimer - I have NO idea if solder in your gas is a BAD idea, but the amount was tiny and then I slathered the whole thing in epoxy to glue the float back togther.

So far, so good! But what a terrible design...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.