Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"shifting mechanism" adjustment?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ElrodontheV-Rod 
#1 ·
I have an '05 VRSCSE. It has always downshifted hard, and upshifted fine. Recently, the shifter shaft broke off at the transmission. This seems to be a common problem. Fortunately, it was an easy fix; new shaft & seal and about 15 minutes to pull the broken part out, and slide the new one in place. However, now the difficulty downshifting has gone from an inconvenience to a serious problem. Page 155 in my owners manual even addresses this: "Bent shifter rod", or "Transmission shifting mechanism needs adjustment". "See dealer."
Since the shifter shaft is brand new, I know it's not bent. But that may be why the old one broke off.
Nowhere in the service manual do I see any information on properly adjusting the "shifting mechanism".
How is this properly set up?:notworth:

#3 ·
... Recently, the shifter shaft broke off at the transmission. This seems to be a common problem. ...

Since the shifter shaft is brand new, I know it's not bent. But that may be why the old one broke off. ...
Have you ever dropped the bike on the left side? This is the common reason for shifter shafts breaking.

If shifting is difficult after replacing the shaft and making sure the external rods and linkage are lubricated and moving freely, it's likely the case will need to be split so that the shift mechanism (including drum and forks) can be checked for damage.

#4 ·
There is an adjustment on the external shift rod,but I doubt that needs any attention.
Start simple with this thing by cleaning and lubing the 2 points at the shift rod.
If this problem is worse when the bike heats up,remove the foot pedal and hone the plastic bushing.Lube it up too.
Let us know what happens.

#5 ·
Miraculous shifter fix!

I can't believe lubing everything TOTALLY FIXED this problem!!! But it did, and THANK you. I was close to pulling the engine. It downshifts better now than it did when I bought it used with 2300 miles on it. I had a real WAHOOOO moment when I first test rode it.

ElrodontheV-Rod, you are the greatest - stever975, too!:notworth::notworth:

#6 ·
Glad you solved the problem and won't need these fotos then :)

My guess was that the little gliding arm that engages into the shift drum became dislocated when you pulled the shift shaft. It's spring loaded and can slip out of the shift actuator when the shift shaft is removed. That would have been bad...

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for the photos.

My guess was that the little gliding arm that engages into the shift drum became dislocated when you pulled the shift shaft. It's spring loaded and can slip out of the shift actuator when the shift shaft is removed. That would have been bad.

I had to ride it home in first gear, after the shifter shaft broke. I had no easy way to shift it into neutral, or any other gear, when I replaced the shaft. There was some discussion at the dealer that the transmission should be in some specific gear to change the shaft, but no one knew which gear. When I pulled the shaft, I was still in first gear. The spring that was visible thru the hole did move toward the rear of the bike, but I was able to pull it somewhat back in place with a screw driver, then push the new shifter back thru it.

Since you have everything apart, do you think it would have been better to assemble in a different gear? Also, I'm really curious why just lubricating the linkage & bushing fixed the problem?

#8 ·
My guess was that the little gliding arm that engages into the shift drum became dislocated when you pulled the shift shaft. It's spring loaded and can slip out of the shift actuator when the shift shaft is removed. That would have been bad.

I had to ride it home in first gear, after the shifter shaft broke. I had no easy way to shift it into neutral, or any other gear, when I replaced the shaft. There was some discussion at the dealer that the transmission should be in some specific gear to change the shaft, but no one knew which gear. When I pulled the shaft, I was still in first gear. The spring that was visible thru the hole did move toward the rear of the bike, but I was able to pull it somewhat back in place with a screw driver, then push the new shifter back thru it.

Since you have everything apart, do you think it would have been better to assemble in a different gear? Also, I'm really curious why just lubricating the linkage & bushing fixed the problem?
On your 05 I believe the style in which the spring is kept was changed so that it is almost impossible to push it out of the way when installing the new shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.