Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

$500 to change fork oil!

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  ElrodontheV-Rod 
#1 ·
2003 v-rod w/ 30k miles. took bike in to have coolant flushed & fork oil replaced. was originally quotted $230. called today for final price & was told $550!! i was told that the forks have to come off & be completely disassembled. is this true?:broke:

#3 ·
They do not have to be disassembled but I would have removed them if I was changing the fluid, would have pulled front wheel off anyway. I'll do it for you next time for only $450.

#4 ·
Did you, at least, get a reach around?
:hidesbeh:

#6 ·
i told the guy on the phone that i was originally quotted $230 by the service writer that wrote me up & now he's ( a different writter ), is telling me $550! he said he will talk to the manager & will "work with me" on the cost.
so it's true, the forks do need to come off?

#7 ·
huge rip off, don' need to come off, if any visible leak or slider aren't damage by the oil then no need to replace any seal, they can stay in the tree
couple buck job; to do yourself
but beware of the damm sping hard to screw back the top nut ! i have done it
and put some SE oil, look here some info
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17104&highlight=remove+slider

#9 ·
:eek: that included $4100 worth of "free" hotdogs right? :rofl:

$500 seems a bit steep for fork oil. I had a dealer in Ohio change my springs to Progressive (springs supplied by V-shop), and fill with SE fork oil and I believe they charged me $200. Bunch more than me doing it myself, but I was out of town for a month and figured I would rather have it done and ready to ride before I got back.

#10 ·
well, guess what. the dealer called me back & said they will only charge me $255 out the door, for the coolant flush & fork oil! good thing i asked them when i dropped it off for an approx. cost & then asked them about that when now they said the job is done & it's going to be $550.:deal:

#11 ·
Wooow... not even here in BR they would charge this!

And just for the record... anything about a HD here in BR, gives you the same feeling as you're being stealed.

A metz 240 rear tire here costs like $700,00 installed. =O(

And about the fork oil, it would be something like $250,00

#16 ·
fork oil

I was quoted £340 or approx $500 to do the same thing . There is no way am I paying that for an oil change when |I can go to the Ohlins guy, get new springs and set up for me (not Ohlins ) new oil etc for the same money .

Moto

#17 ·
I just got finished doing the rebuild on my own forks, both sides and new seals. Once the tubes were off the bike it took me about 2 hours to rebuild both forks. If I was a shop mechanic and done this job before I would have been able to cut that time in half. I think that the forks took me about less than 2 hours to take off and get back on for a total of about 4 hours work time total. At the shop rate of $75.00 an hout you would be looking at the job costing around $300.00 labor plus parts. Maybe they dont know how to work on the VRSC and they tried to charge you what it ACTUALLY took them to do the job which is BULL3hit !!
Everyone should make sure before dropping the bike off at a dealer to ask,
1 - Do you have an authorized VRSC mechanic here that will be working on my bike
2 - Show me the book numbers for this work
3 - I want the quote in writing

#19 ·
I am not a Certified Harley mechanic of any kind but by my experience in how easy it is for ME to take these bikes apart and put them back together, I am just saying that the mechanics at the stealer should be doing these jobs in a much faster time than they seem to be doing them. Or, does a single harley dealer have any V ROD experienced mechanic at all working in them ? Maybe each time they tear into a V ROD it is their first time and they are charging people for the time it takes them to learn the trade they should already know.
Makes ya wonder dont it.

#20 ·
Like I've told everyone a million times,it's flat rate.The shop charges in 10ths of an hour,or every 6 minutes.There is a guide to look up the time,and that's just what it is,a guide not a bible.The times can be adjusted down,just as easy as up,and with this service,I just cannot justify $200 labor for it,and I am an auto mechanic.

If the fork oil is sucked out at half the recommended mileage,15000 instead of 30,000 and topped off,a complete dissemble for the fork oil service is not necessary.
Same with the coolant.Remove the plug at the front of the engine and top the system off,a complete drain and refill is not needed.I do mine every other oil change.

When doing these type services that are not to the T as far as recommended time or mileage,a person needs to use good judgment for each service area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.