Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"Rubbing" noise: brakes? Something else?

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lifesavr65 
#1 ·
2008 VRSCAW with ~1,600 miles. I am hearing what I would describe as a rubbing noise that appears to be most noticeable around 20-30 mph. I believe it's coming from the front end, but honestly I can't say for sure. I can coast down a hill in neutral with no brakes applied, and I can hear and "feel" it best in the 20 to 30 mph range, although I think it remains all the way to a stop, it's just not as loud. I'm not applying the brakes, so I don't think it is the brake pads, but perhaps they could still be hugging the rotor?

Anyway, do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone?

#2 ·
That's pretty normal stuff. There's nothing that moves the pads away from the rotor after you let off the brakes, so they can and do still slightly rub the rotor during normal operation.

The reason you hear it best at 20 to 30 is just physics: the rotor is moving fast enough at that speed to generate enough sound to hear, but the bike isn't moving fast enough yet to make enough noise to mask the rubbing sound. I bet you don't hear it at 60 mph. :)

Get the front wheel up and give it a spin; I think you'll find the noise.

#3 ·
Check the belt tension, and also wash it? Dust on the belt or a misadjusted belt will produce a howl.

Brakes, put it up on a jack and spin the wheels. The bodge alternative if you don't have a lift is to prize each set of pads loose at a time and run down a hill. Don't forget the brakes at the end you prized loose will need pumping before they work. This would be a great way for the mechanically inept to win a Darwin award :D

Some brake noise is normal of course.

#6 ·
Just in case, I'm not suggesting removing the pads, just levering them apart a bit so they don't drag (so long as you leave that brake alone until after the test).

You can also ride for a bit without touching the brakes, then use then engine and / or a slope to coast to a stop, and feel the disks. If one is hot, that brake is sticking.

#5 ·
I get a slight "Swooosh" from the back during normal riding. After a good washing my back brake scratches and howwwwllllsss. It sounds better after a light coating of brake dust.

#7 ·
#11 ·
thats a normal noise........

our Police Bikes are worse....it is the brakes slightly touching the rotor. ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.